1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Have the skill gains been shut off for some reason?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Norman Bates, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Norman Bates

Norman Bates Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I have 3 chars on Siege that I'm trying to work up. One is at 97.3 tailoring, another at 63.7 scribe, the last is at 3.6 [new skill] tailor. NONE of those chars have budged for the last 2 days. Before someone asks I have all the skill arrows set the right way, nobody is at the 720 skills max, yet for 2 days absolutely NO skill gains. Not even the so-called daily skill gain. Nada. ONE change: This is all happening on my new laptop, a windows 8 Toshiba that handled the uo download nicely, in under an hour. I've re-checked my in-game options, they are set to "notify" me of skill gains, yet I'm simply not GETTING any whatsoever. No sense continuing on Siege if it's just a waste of time...SO....have they done something to shut off skill gains, or is it something about a new computer? Tx in advance for your insight:]

2. Retlaw of Vesper

Retlaw of Vesper Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I gained my .1 in two skills about a hour ago and a few gains yesterday during regular play so nothing is turned off.

3. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

it's for your characters only :)

4. CrazyUserName

CrazyUserName Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

My tamer is at 100.4 skill and I can't seem to get a gain regardless of the day :) I read guides stating bulls and savage ridge backs and I tamed a few of each hoping for a quick .1. My other chars skills seems to work that way. Perhaps it used to be that way when I played last (took a few year break and getting back to UO now :))

I am going to continue on with jewels on for now, but would love 99.99%control without them.

Good luck with your skills!
    Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

I just successfully gained skills on SP. I am also using a Windows 8 Toshiba. On fresh install, UO has a nasty habit of setting the skill gain display for every full point of skill gained, not every tenth, so you will only see the gain message every 10 tenths gained. In the Options Miscellaneous tab (looks like UO symbol, for CC) make sure he slider is set to "1", hit apply, then okay. There is also a check box for "notify gains of strength, dexterity..." they can be easily confused.

You may also want to try another character, on another shard, to see if it has the same problem. Use the Focus skill to watch its skill gains (Focus gains fast and requires very little effort). If the new character also has the same problem, you may need to reinstall UO.

Stayin Alive,

BG

6. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The computer you are using wouldnt effect skill gain. You sure you are doing the right things for your skill level? ROT can be kind of bitchy that way sometimes. Try harder stuff for a while.

7. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Have you tested with both clients?

8. Norman Bates

Norman Bates Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

no, because I never use EC...haven't since it first came out years ago.

9. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe give it a try. I always keep both clients installed for things like this.

10. a slave girl

Stratics Veteran

Hello there Norman...

:)

I don't play Siege but have heard of the ROT skill gain whatchamacallit thing they have going on over there.

On regular shards if I stop gaining, I feed my characters. I imagine they're too weak to learn anything new. If they eat a lot of food before they are satisfied, I know they will start gaining again. I also try to move around after each gain to speed things up, but I realize this particular tactic won't work for some types of skill gainers.

:)

11. Norman Bates

Norman Bates Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Tx Barry for your input, it's now working...sure enough the skill gain display was set to full points rather than the 1/10th that I was used to. SO GLAD I didn't have to reinstall! Appreciate everybody's help:]

#11 Norman Bates, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    DJAd likes this.
  12. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

You are welcome. UO does some strange things sometimes. This quirk pre-dates Samurai Empire. :)

Stayin Alive,

BG