1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Haven

Discussion in 'UHall' started by LordTesla, Jul 24, 2009.

1. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

Is there EVER a chance to get Haven back? Maybe a shard that has it...

I am serious, HAVEN PLEASE!

What are the chances?

2. Wallenstein

Wallenstein Guest

Unlikely. Multiple comments about it have been dodged by developers in the past. A poll on UOLedger resulted in 80% of participants wanting Old Haven back with a 20% vote to keep New Haven.

A large majority of the players I interviewed for the article want Old Haven back.. including myself. New Haven does not have much appeal to me personally, likely because I spent the first three years of UO calling Haven my "home city". It was quaint, nice, quiet, and friendly. New Haven is cluttered and confusing..

Time will tell. But, I think Magincia will be rebuilt before anything else.

3. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

I don't know if we'll ever get it back but I sure did like the old one. How many new characters did my friends and I build around there? Good memories...

4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I'd settle for keeping New Haven, but getting the Cemetary, pyramid, and Sarcen stone ring back. There was no reason to remove them when they blasted Old Haven.

5. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

You guys would not believe what we went through to create Haven.

It took over a year to get it implemented.

Then, they destroy it?

I mean it was a wonderful concept, and it actually helped new players. In the old days we policed it, and you couldn't even be there unless you were a Companion who was actually helping someone new.

It is so very sad it turned out like it did.

:grrr:

6. Haven was bugged all to hell. It was easier to blow it up than it was to attempt to fix all of the bugs in the town.

7. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I agree!

8. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

Haven should be returned. That's all there is to it... I played UO
    ;BR Haven was my home till it was destroyed, I closed 9 accounts and kept my vet one down, my youngest account was over a year, so they lost a lot of money (at least on my end) cause of it.

9. Zodiac19

Zodiac19 Guest

Don't we have Ocollo in Fel a mirror image of the original Haven?

10. Saris

Saris Guest

yes the shape of the land but it ends their, also to be fair luna is the place that needs a blackrock bomb, but new haven ofers things for new player the old did not.

11. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

No, TOTALLY not the same...

12. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

*bump*

I find this important.

13. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Guest

Tbqh, I'd just like to have the rest of the skill trainers added in New Haven... nothing worse than half finished content.

Surely "old Haven" was prettier than the new one, but I agree with Saris - New Haven offers things old Haven did not.

14. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

So you closed 9 accounts because they destroyed haven? Wow... were you really keeping all those accounts open just for that town? :p

15. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

That's funny Connor.

Normally, I agree with what you say.

Haven, was wonderful period.

I spent hundreds of hours there training, helping new players, and just living out of the 5 Companion Halls I had.

There will always be bugs in uo. We didn't have any bad problems with the bugs there. People played, and were happy for the most part. The problems we had were with players exploiting Companion powers for the most part to get an advantage in gameplay. We also had a problem with people trying to scam new players.

Back then if we caught you scamming, you were gone.

It was a waay more friendly play experience.

16. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Lol, after all of the crap that EA has pulled, all of the neglect to certain bugs, the story arc that destroyed the old haven is what the last straw was?

Do you realize how absurd that is?

17. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

To YOU it may seem "absurd"... To me it was making a point. Take away one of the MAIN reasons I enjoyed playing, I take away money that you would make from me. But they don't care, then never do. They don't care what players think... UO is known for GM's not giving two ****s about the players.

Destroying Haven made a LOT of my friends quit, memories were created... And then torn from us. I have MANY friends quit UO "Until they bring Haven back"... They didn't even give us a chance to defend it. So now we're all stuck in Luna? Oh boy! They could have taken time to fix Haven... Why not destroy Bucs Den, there is no real reason for that, and all houses that are places are illegally placed anyway.

18. If Basara will poke his head in here (IIRC it was him), he has a list of some of the more pronounced bugs with Haven, and I believe one of the devs even stated as much that Haven was too bugged to attempt to fix, and was easier to just blow it up and create a new one.

19. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

Again, they don't care aboput whast we think. And it caused them to lose money, I know this is an issue 3-4 years ago... But it still matters to me... I miss Haven.

20. TheGrayGhost

TheGrayGhost Guest

I miss being a Companion :(

21. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Connor is correct...

They knew Haven was Buggy from how it diverged from Ocllo. They didn't know HOW buggy, until I showed them through my accounts, doing BOD runs at the EA demo booth at Gen Con, I believe 2003 (the other booths had a LotR game demo - not the MMO but another), as we all got up-to-date AoS install CDs that Binky had made, at the Town Hall.

They tried FOR THREE YEARS after they saw how my account was being affected in Haven, to try to fix Haven. Much of the trouble was deep seated in how Haven was built, and left-over, undocumented, code buried in the area, from when Haven was "Young"-only. And, Since I was on Lake Austin, this meant that the code SHOULD have been the purest form, having little to no EM/Seer/Councilor alterations prior to AoS. Instead, it appeared to be the MOST buggy Haven, of all the shards.

THERE WAS NO WAY TO FIX HAVEN AS IT EXISTED. PERIOD.

What they had to do was effectively REMOVE the entire area from UO, then patch in an entirely NEW area coded from scratch. The only things that survived from the old code, were static items coded for specific coordinates, not directly part of the "environment" code. Things like EM/Dev created items, such as the Hammer (now buried south of the New Haven mining training area), and the T-map coordinates.

As they were rebuilding the Haven map from scratch, the idea came around to do a rapid-training area, much like the blackrock hotspots and alacrity scrolls. That led to New Haven, and of course, the KR new character area, that resulted in Haven's demise.

I personally wish they'd left the new character quests alone (I miss the necromancer & paladin quests). And, the hurry to get the KR quest area and the New Player Experience quests up and running, meant they didn't get around to restoring the rest of Haven's surroundings that SHOULDN'T have been affected by the destruction.

C'mon, Devs - once you get SA rolling, give us back the areas of western Haven that we remember, even if you can't restore the town. And, consider giving us back the AoS & SE standard template quests, even if altered to have different start points.

22. sayler04

sayler04 Guest

It was way cooler back when you were born in whatever town was most appropriate for the new char you created. Got action into all the towns instead of just Haven.

Still, it would make an awesome cooperative collection, the "rebuild haven" collection, maybe with some nostalgic rewards of some sort.

23. LordTesla

LordTesla Visitor

OMG I heard from a friend of a freidn of a grandma who had a former roomate that knew a guy who said he knew someone who did UO design, that they are gonna give us a PRE AoS shard soon!