1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hello guys, anybody can suggest a program to lower the latency that works for UO?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Kiss Of Death, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Kiss Of Death

Kiss Of Death Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Hello,

some of my m8s are gonna play on Atlantic, but we ping 110-120 and we need to pvp...can any of u suggest me a program if it works for UO that lower the latency ? ( internet programs not hacks ofc)

Thanks in advance

2. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Now I'm not nearly as Tech savy as I used to be, but unless things have changed, there's really not much you can do as far as software to install. Ping is the time it takes for your computer to connect to the target computer (in this case, UO servers), lag happens when you have too many computers to pass through to get to your target. So unless you can somehow shorten that string of computers you're passing through, there's not a whole lot you can do.

But like I said, I'm not as tech savy as I used to be, so I may be way off. If that's the case I was joking about the whole thing. ;)

3. Babble

Babble Guest

Hmm you could try to upgrade to a really good internet connection or what might be better move to the US.
    :)

4. kentuckyjoe

kentuckyjoe Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Whenever I am going to do any type of Fel activities, I just type -reducecpu and hit enter(only works if you are running UOA). This command reduces the background tasks and allows for smother movement and less lag spikes.

5. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I pvp'd on the asain shards with a 150 ping. Its not that bad actually. I survived many times. I did die but after some study on my casting time and what I seen in game and when I was hit by spells by my calculations I was one second behind in real game time. So I just adapted and could spawn and pvp.

Here are some tips that may help you out....This is for your computer and internet.

1) Ram for your computer. The more ram you have the faster you are transfering information. Not sure what windows system you have but Vista takes a minimum of 2 GB to run.

2) Make sure you have at least 15% of your hard drive free. Programs can then use the space and shift files around without having to run out, or run low on disk space.

3) Turn off background programs that you dont use or need. They use your ram memory. For example: if you dont use a wirelss connection I would turn that off. It uses alot of ram.

4) Having a a faster type of internet is going to boost your internet speed. Not much you can do to change internet speed. Having a good modem will be an improvement.

5) Internet browser. Dont know what you all use but IE browser is bloody slow. I go with Mozilla or Opera if you dont care for IE. less freezing with Mozilla and faster than IE. Opera rarely freezes and when it does it fixes itself instantly.

6) If you are using a wireless connection and you have more then one person using it will definelty slow you down. Also, the closer you are to your modem (if wireless) then you will have 100% speed and connection.

Thats the best I can come up with now. I am making home made beer bread and its almost done so I have to scoot.

Good luck to you.

6. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

UOA also has a nice feature, two -- one dumps memory and the other lowers priority or something like that. I forget the commands off the top of my head though :/.

7. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

-reducecpu and -releasemem

8. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Actually there is, but let me address this. The whole thing boils down to packet processing time, sending and receiving packets.

Barring hardware, the best thing to do is have a stripped down OS and very little else. A person could optimize an old athlon XP and be on par with a person playing on a I7 on UO.

Packets wait in line like a kid at a lunch room lunch line. Waiting to get served. Remove the packets in front, the faster the process.

Ok back to the OS. With a fresh install you can go with a few programs one called Nlite for Windows XP, and Vlite for Vista and Win7. What these do is it takes your original OS installation disk and you can make a custom OS installation disk. You select through a menu system the options you want and it makes a custom disk image ready to be burned to disk.

Networking - CfosSpeed is a Network driver that replaces windows driver and Q processing. It does give decent results and there is a trial available.

Hardware - Check out Bigfoot networks killer nics. In a nutshell it uses a cpu on the card with a linux OS to help network traffic. The cards are made for gaming and they do work if installed correctly.

All of the above is legal by the way.

9. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

You could try Game Booster. Essentially, it shuts down unneeded applications and optimizes your RAM. Doesn't interact with the client at all, just focuses your system's resources on a particular game (in your case, UO).

10. LetheGL

LetheGL Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

The killer cards won't do much for UO, they optimize UDP settings. UO uses TCP. I run a 2100 and am please with it though. I really like the killer network manager, being able to set network access priority (or deny completely) per program is nice. Also, being able to set exactly how much bandwith each program can access is another nice feature.

I only have a 1 megabit download, giving uo top priority and full bandwith while limiting background activities bandwith (movie downloads for example) keeps UO playable.

11. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

12. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have the Xeno Pro card and it does offset the packet processing of my comp and have gained a good boost from it. I have better throughput. Overall Linux handles better networking traffic than Windows.

13. Frequency grease that being said.

You may need to assess the nature of your "problem"
    there are many parts (not obvious) at play here.
    There is your send/receive station
    There is the "pathway" that your sending and receiving traverse
    There is the "Service" receive/send unit.

all three parts CAN enhance(mitigate/solve) the problem.

good luck in your quest.