1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help for a New Smith

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Guest, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have just started my smith char and I have been reading lots of FAQs and posts here but i still couldn't figure out some specific things.

What should i do to use colored ingots? Currently it says you don't know how to use that metal. Should i use a different item? If yes where can i find it?

Anoter question is on this runic staff. It is not clear for me that how these stuff are obtained. From monsters or from completing bods?

Thanks

2. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

You can make an item out of any ingot type you have in your backpack as long as you pick that ingot type in the smith crafting menu. You can only smelt items made out of ingots you can successfully mine. In other words, your mining skill must be 90 to be able to smelt items made out of Agapite.

As for obtaining Runic Hammers, read up on BOD rewards.

3. I think you need to have a certain smith skill to use certain metals. This is from the FAQ at the top of this page (metals and skills needed)

Dull Copper 65
    Shadow Iron 70
    Copper 75
    Bronze 80
    Gold 85
    Agapite 90
    Verite 95
    Valorite 99

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks all for your help.

5. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry. I assumed GM smithing. heh. I never tried to craft anything before GM except for iron stuff because I was only training.

Update...
    Actually I just checked on TC, and your Smithing level doesn't matter when you choose the material. I was able to make a Valorite Dagger at only 50 skill. I couldn't smelt it unless my mining was at 99.5, but I was at least able to make it.

6. <blockquote><hr>

Sorry. I assumed GM smithing. heh. I never tried to craft anything before GM except for iron stuff because I was only training.

Update...
    Actually I just checked on TC, and your Smithing level doesn't matter when you choose the material. I was able to make a Valorite Dagger at only 50 skill. I couldn't smelt it unless my mining was at 99.5, but I was at least able to make it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL if true then that needs to be updated in the FAQ. LOL you are such the expert, knew the answer but didn't know it LOL You are my hero, thanks for investigating.

7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

On real shards, it's still as in the FAQ - Just tried to change tool to valorite, with a 70-skill bod runner, and it gave me a "You do not know how to use this metal" message, and it bounced back to Iron. So, you still have to have the skill.

Perhaps the tool was set on the metal when at GM, then the skill was lowered to 50?