1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help for a Newb Archer

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by Lord Velner, May 29, 2009.

1. Lord Velner

Lord Velner Guest

Hello. I'm working on an Archer template. I plan to use him for PvM; mostly champ spawns and Doom Gauntlet. I'm not certain what skills to choose. Does anybody know a good template for a PvM Archer? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Velner

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

120 Archery
    120 Bushido
    120 Tactics
    100 Healing
    95 Anatomy
    90 Resist
    70 Chiv

try this one this is what i use or close to it

3. Lord Velner

Lord Velner Guest

I've noticed a lot of people do not use Focus or Med with Archers. Is this a good idea? I have a tough time keeping up w/ Mana on my Warrior who has 100 Med. My main problem has been deciding between Resist and Focus..

-Velner

4. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I actually use med on my archer, it makes me MUCH less dependent on mana leeching bows.

My template is:
    120 archery
    115 tactics
    115 bushido
    100 anatomy
    100 meditation
    90 healing
    80 chivalry

I don't miss having resist even a little bit outside of Doom. In Doom I compensate by using a slower bow (demon slayer heavy crossbow with only 10% SSI (ash)) so I can remove curses before my next shot.
    I tried having focus instead of meditation at first, but the mana regeneration rate was much too slow for my taste and stamina potions/divine fury regenerates all of my stamina instantly anyway. So I dropped it for med and I find it wonderful.

My advice: either use resist (some people like it) or meditation (some people like that).

They both have advantages and disadvantages, so which one you choose is up to you and your play style. From what I read so far, perhaps you'd be better off with resist and using mana leeching bows.

5. I recognize this template. :D

I'm actually going to be changing this template up just a bit. I'm going to be dropping Tactics by 5 and bumping Anatomy up by 5 in order to get the 5% damage bonus for GM Anatomy. It will increase the amount of damage output the template has without sacrificing anything.

To answer the question on Med, I've found that Resist is more important than Med for an archer (IMO) for the simple reason that archery weapons are the slowest in the game, and any Curse spell cast on you kills swing speed. In PvM you will almost constantly be cursed over and over again, making removing the curse nothing but a waste of mana. Having 90 Resist compensates for this and keeps you swinging at speeds that you need. You have to make up for the lack of Focus/Med by having a high mana regen suit and using bows that have mana leech on them. The bows really aren't that hard to find, and don't cost that much compared to melee weapons.

6. Heh... I recognize this template! On my shard the 120 Tactics scroll is 8 mil+ and this template will actually do a bit more damage because of the 5% anatomy bonus at GM:

120 Archery
    120 Bushido
    115 Tactics
    100 Healing
    100 Anatomy
    90 Resist
    70 Chiv

The last two I am working on now, wondering which is better? I do a bit of everything with my archer.

90 Resist
    70 Chiv

or

85 Resist
    75 Chiv

7. Vaneca

Vaneca Guest

tbh I would screw the 120 Tactics and take 120 Anatomy instead.
    More damage healed and just a little less damage.
    Chivalry 55 is enough. you´ll fizzle a few times but everythings gonna be fine.
    Resist is good if you got no meditation or anything.
    Otherwise I would prefer meditation over resist (for pvm only) since theres also non magic opponents.
    But maybe thats just me =)

Haven´t played an archer in ages now, but should still be the same ^^

8. Actually, you make a good point. The Anatomy vs Tactics is a good point you make. Depending on which bow you choose, there will be 0-4 points difference in the base damage, most will be 0-2 difference. You get the 5% damage bonus for GM anatomy and the 6.25% bonus for the GM tactics. The rest kinda balances out... I hadn't considered that before.

Now on the Chivalry, on the other hand, I disagree with. For me 55 Chivalry is way too low to cast EoO and Dispel Evil (to get rid of revenants, which it won't at that level). EoO has a min casting skill of 45, leaving you at 30-40% success. I would still work, but depending on the RNG you could easily take 10 or more tries to get in cast. 60 chiv for me is the min.

9. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Personally I have a different playing style, but if you are looking at the two, why not just use the bottom one? 75 Chivalry will give you higher success rate on Enemy of One and consequently better damage output. I'm not big on +skill items for an archer suit, but there are nice combinations for chivalry and resist.

10. Diomedes Artega

Stratics Veteran

Aside from an ABC archer, you can just go with a chivalry archer:

120 Archery
    120 Tactics
    120 Anatomy
    120 Healing
    120 Resist
    105 Chivalry
    Rest into meditation

Max chance to hit, max damage, max resist, max damage healed, alternative way of ressurecting players, and fairs okay for PvP and champ spawns.

11. GFY

GFY Guest

120 Archery
    120 Bushido
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Healing
    100 Chivalry
    100 Resist

I do make up 20 in items. It isn't that difficult really, and no I don't have the Hunters Headdress. But that is a very viable option for the dex bonus, and hci as well. I like higher chiv and healing so I can cross heal better and there is nothing better then a quick noble sacrifice and rezzing your whole party! (Can't do that with 55 chiv! ;))

12. Diomedes Artega

Stratics Veteran

Have to say I agree with Old Man. If you take part in any PvM activities at all while in a PvP faucet, 60 chivalry is pretty much the minimum wanted. If just doing only PvP that number is more adjustable in my opinion. Personally I always went with at least 60.

13. Arch Magus

Arch Magus Guest

Im loving these 106 chiv holy lights. destroys all low spawn.

basically im shooting for
    120 arch
    120 tact
    120 bush
    120 anat
    120 heal
    120 chiv

i might switch out healing for resist spells later. I'm finding the more I play him (champs spawns/no pvp, i split) the less I use bandy's if I'm careful.
    and i figure with resisting poisons and never needing mana, I could possibly do without it.

good leech heavy i use
    30 ssi
    30 dmg
    30'ish mana leech
    30'ish stamina leech

I'm doing huge damage with lightning strike bushido.

14. Diomedes Artega

Stratics Veteran

Don't you mean 105?