1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

help needed unrelated to uo

Discussion in 'UHall' started by andyjacksons, Feb 22, 2013.

1. andyjacksons

andyjacksons Journeyman

hi this may seam stupid but i downloaded icq
    how do i see my icq number sorry i would think this is very obvious but cant work it out

2. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

Depends on the version of ICQ to some degree. It should always show in your profile, but I also think the newest version shows the number in the taskbar when ICQ is open. Of course this adsumes that you have a number to display. I think the download and signing up for a number are different aspects of getting it working.

Berethrain likes this.
  3. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I generally just let the mouse hover over the icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar if you're signed in.

#3 Berethrain, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. SixUnder

SixUnder Legendary Assassin
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

5. Jade of Sonoma

Jade of Sonoma Babbling Loonie

Not stupid at all. Everyone, including myself, forgets things.

Look for your profile.

EG: (On my ICQ) TOP, LH side under the ICQ FLOWER, is your image or lack of image:
    Mouse over that image .. you get a menu but IGNOR the MENU. Instead ...

CLICK on your IMAGE (or where your image would be) RH or LH CLICK _ either will birng up Your PROFILE.

Your PROFILE has your ICQ Number on it.

#5 Jade of Sonoma, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

For Info only. Not saying good or bad, up to you.
    April 2010 owned by Mail.ru Group. Russian owned.

"You agree that by posting any material or information anywhere on the ICQ Services and Information you surrender your copyright and any other proprietary right in the posted material or information. You further agree that ICQ Inc. is entitled to use at its own discretion any of the posted material or information in any manner it deems fit, including, but not limited to, publishing the material or distributing it."

Anything you say/send is thiers to do with what they want (if they want to) so be careful what you send as info over ICQ.

Jade of Sonoma likes this.
  7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

That's why my City and State is listed as Luna, Malas. :D I did put my birthdate because I LOVE getting birthday wishes. I suppose I should really show the date I entered this version of Britannia. That would be more appropriate I guess.

8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It is not just that info, it is all info you send through ICQ even your chats falls under this, is all I am saying.

9. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I do understand what you are saying Frodo. Everyone needs to understand and be more careful with what they talk about/share online, rather it's ICQ, Google Talk, YIM, Facebook or whatever. That stuff is out there forever. For me, ICQ is my "courier" for communicating with folks in the land of Britannia. So I'm probably confusing those Russians if they are listening. *chuckles*

Jade of Sonoma and Lord Frodo like this.
  10. Jade of Sonoma

Just having a computer and serfing the internet exposes you to all kinds of abuse.

Recently I had to upgrade the system for cable services and couldn't, after reading their Policy, prevent them from giving my information away even though there was a sentence which read: Click to click here to unsubscribe (or to make changes and control how the information you supplied could be used). That Link DID NOT WORK. First, I had to subscribe to their special 'MyAccount' and supply the cable company again with my name/address/account number/e-mail address, which was only way to click on the word here to stop the company from giving away all my account information and ID. That came a bit TOO LATE. MyAccount INFO automatically went immediately to other marketing companies before getting a chance to control my account info .. because suddenly my e-mail started receiving abundant unwanted spam E-mails which I had to block.

That goes for ICQ too. For a long time I was getting the worst type of messages from Russian offers of sexual services. Some of those ICQ messages were the result of contact-lists from obsolete ICQ accounts and I began receiving messages from old friends who no longer owned their ICQ Accounts.

There is no way to protect yourself in this cyber environment. Be careful about volunteering information. ICQ has improved somewhat. I use it to converse with friends in UO only but I will never trust ICQ again.

#10 Jade of Sonoma, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It is not just that info I am talking about. You are chatting back and forth with another ICQ member, that chat, if they want to, now belongs to ICQ. Anything you send over ICQ if they want it you no longer have the rights to it. So as a UO member lets say you send your Username and password to a friend using ICQ by thier law/useragreement they, if they so desire, now own it.
    Your chat window is thiers not yours. This is the major thing that people have been trying to warn others about ICQ now.

12. Jade of Sonoma

Thanks Lord Frodo. I do understand. Just wish there were someway to combat privacy invasion.
    Even UHall probably owns every word we write in here.

Years Ago, in order to correspond with a dying friend, I joined facebook and because of privacy issues, quit FACE BOOK when my friend died. Recently, Facebook, amongst hundreds of other e-mails, (*blocked) sent e-mails advising that a friend is trying to contact me. That friend has been deceased for the past three years.

I know a lot of what I wrote is Off Topic, but between ICQ owning every word you post and everything coming at us from every direction.. is anything on the internet safe .. including trying to pay for UO accounts? lol

#12 Jade of Sonoma, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    Lord Frodo likes this.