1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help please

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Guest, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My accounts were hacked. I called Ea changed all my passwords. I have their email address is there anything that can be done?

2. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

We had an incident in the past, EA froze the account until we could get it resolved (but then again, by the time it was frozen, I had allready contacted the Bureau of Internet Fraud and filed a formal complaint).

Long story short, we got the account back, a 15 and 16 year old were pulled out of their high school classrooms by Federal officers (and no, I didn't press charges and ruin their lives simply because I'm a parent as well, and know that kids do stupid crap). People don't realize just how serious unauthorized take-over af a gaming account can be.

Live and learn.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I got the accounts back I just want them to be in trouble and wanted to know how to do it. I am so upset I am shaking yes I know it's just a game but I have been playing for many years and have things that mean a lot to me. I just cant believe this happened. I wish I knew how they did it so I could keep them from doing it again.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

They took a lot of my stuff on my characters, all my vet rewards ethys and gold but they didn't get my houses. all my characters were at the bank so I must have caught it before they had time to go through all my runes. I just don't know how to keep from them from doing it again. [​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I forgot to add that some of my accounts had different passwords and different email addresses so does anyone know how they could have got them all. they got 7 of my accounts.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Have you:

accepted a file from anywhere?
    Visited a strange website?
    Signed up for a new board?

I'm assuming you've thoroughly checked your pc for trojans etc.

Are the hackers known to you? or anyone else in your family? Could they have had access to your pc at any time?

Does anyone else have your account information? If 'yes', are their pc's secure?

A lot of people trust others with account information, and often the people the trust wouldn't dream of betraying that trust, but if their pc's are vulnerable they may inadvertently contribute to incidents such as this.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Have you:

accepted a file from anywhere?
    Visited a strange website?
    Signed up for a new board?

I'm assuming you've thoroughly checked your pc for trojans etc.

Are the hackers known to you? or anyone else in your family? Could they have had access to your pc at any time?

Does anyone else have your account information? If 'yes', are their pc's secure?

A lot of people trust others with account information, and often the people the trust wouldn't dream of betraying that trust, but if their pc's are vulnerable they may inadvertently contribute to incidents such as this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I have no idea how they did it. No one knows my account information. I have no idea who the hackers could be and the email address they used isn't a real one. I do use icq and I remember someone saying something about being hacked through that but I couldn't find the post about it. I just don't know how they would have got all my accounts. One I could see how but they got all of them. I have a firewall on my computer and norton anti virus. I haven't accepted any files from anyone or signed up for any boards. I'm just really upset and not sure what to do.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

You need to urgently check your pc for trojans, also get a spyware detection programme, there are several free ones around, you could even use Windows defender.

I'm a long way from expert on this, but my guess is you have a trojan on your pc, I hope some of the more technically adept posters will help further.

To the best of my knowledge you can not get a trojan or virus from simply chatting on icq, only by allowing file downloads and peer to peer connections.

9. <blockquote><hr>

You need to urgently check your pc for trojans, also get a spyware detection programme, there are several free ones around, you could even use Windows defender.

I'm a long way from expert on this, but my guess is you have a trojan on your pc, I hope some of the more technically adept posters will help further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me, since we're talking about several different accounts and passwords, that there's a keylogger on the computer.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree I'd be checking for Trojans, Keyloggers on your PC.... You don't keep that account information anywhere on your desk do you?

11. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well.....I for one woulda thrown the book at em. As would I expect someone elses parents to do to my son if he tried any of that.

Basically, it's a moral that extends into a crime. I say nail the kids because, look what's going on with Christy, the original poster right now....

She's upset, shaking, very distraught....do you think these brats have any clue or care, for that matter, of what they're doing to a human being right now? NO.

Do you think they respect someone else's things, items, property?? Obviuosly not.

No, these kids or person needs to be tracked down, prosecuted then slapped silly. Old fashioned justice. [​IMG]

"yeah, I'm old school"

12. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me, since we're talking about several different accounts and passwords, that there's a keylogger on the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a way to check for keyloggers? I don't know a lot about computers. I downloaded the new norton antiviris and my husband set the firewall to the most secure. any advice is very appreciated.

13. There are 2 free programs you can use. The first is Spybot, and is one you should run right away as it could possibly find a keylogger, and the other is AdAware. AdAware is available on Cnet.com. Spybot has it's own site if I remember right. Just do a search for Spybot Search &amp; Destroy and you should be able to find it. Run both programs asap.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but Norton sucks in general. I'd suggest using Trend Micro Antivirus. I've used both, and Trend is hands down better than Norton.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Christy,

<blockquote><hr>

Is there a way to check for keyloggers? I don't know a lot about computers. I downloaded the new norton antiviris and my husband set the firewall to the most secure. any advice is very appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]Everything you need is listed by category in the Safety menu of the UO Toolbar.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Not sure why this didn't dawn on me earlier but I don't think it could be a keylogger because one of the accounts they changed the password too hasn't been open or logged into for about a year. I'm going to try the things everyone suggested. thanks a lot. [​IMG]

16. Peaches

Peaches Guest

I read an article, wish I could find it again, where many many websites were infiltrated by folks in China, by putting a key logger on the sites, many of the sites were or are well known. I have been hearing of a LOT of people getting hacked out of many different games as well. I surely hope you get this resolved!

17. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Well.....I for one woulda thrown the book at em. As would I expect someone elses parents to do to my son if he tried any of that.

Basically, it's a moral that extends into a crime. I say nail the kids because, look what's going on with Christy, the original poster right now....

She's upset, shaking, very distraught....do you think these brats have any clue or care, for that matter, of what they're doing to a human being right now? NO.

Do you think they respect someone else's things, items, property?? Obviuosly not.

No, these kids or person needs to be tracked down, prosecuted then slapped silly. Old fashioned justice. [​IMG]

"yeah, I'm old school"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's harsh, not old school.

If my kid screwed up once, I'd hope somene allowed him to learn a lesson without ruining the rest of his life over a bad choice at 15. In short, this can be a serious offence (federal prosecution)...and the possibility of never being able to obtain a decent job in the future. I prefer to leave the ass-beating to the parents as oppossed to contribute to the deterioration of the moral fabric of our society. We're allready hanging by a thread, why wekan it more by adding two future young adults who will live at near poverty level and increase the chance they'll do something even stupider in the future.

But then, I'm really old and lived in the world when the entire village raised the child. Mind you...I said second chance. If this is repeated behavior, I'm with you 100% on prosecuting to the fullest extent.

18. "I prefer to leave the ass-beating to the parents"

If the kids are doing this to begin with then it's pretty obvious the parents failed somewhere along the way.

19. That's exactly what I was thinking! [​IMG]

I too am a parent and understand the feelings of don't screw up their future but honestly by 15/16 they should know better and I would say it is even safe to say they knew exactly what they were doing and knew it was wrong. Most of the 12-14 year olds I know could tell you that they know hacking is a crime.

I hope that the officers showing up to their school was enough to scare them and that they didn't get the idea of "oh sweet we got away with it..who next".

To the OP...I am very sorry this happened to you. You have been given good advice and I hope it works for you to protect you in the future. Adaware and spybot are great to use.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm with Conner and Fran.

If you don't understand right and wrong by the age of 15/16, then that's your fault, and you should be prepared to suffer the consequences of your actions.

It's time to stop babying these disrespecting kids. If you want to do the crime, then be prepared to pay the time. Even the best of parents can end up with a kid that is just a bad seed and refuses to do things the right way, regardless of upbringing. No mercy for these types.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I wonder if your email is the source of the hacking. Do you use a web based email that may have been hacked? Check you don't have any account emails from EA in there if you do, but if you find some, that would add weight to the email as the hacking source. Do your accounts all share the same registered email address by any chance?

If the email is something you're worried about, it's worth changing passwords for any important sites that also use the email addy.

If you're in serious doubt about the security of your own PC, you can do what I tried once. I got my PC virus-nuked by my ex (typically a computer savvy one *mumble*), so I bought a cheap hard drive, backed up docs from what was left of the old one and then fitted the new drive and started over. That let me have a clean PC for changing passwords etc and figuring out what to do, but didn't let the infected drive get internet access in case of keyloggers. I downloaded programs and burnt them to CD then ran them offline on the old drive. It is more drastic, but worth it if you suspect a keylogger and want to secure internet banking passwords and the like. Remember to ensure the old drive is disconnected when it should be though [​IMG]

With ICQ, I remember a colleague's daughter who got a message saying "look at this pic" and the link turned out to be dodgy. It then got sent to her friends list in the same way. You can set yourself up to not accept messages or files from people off your contact list, so you may have these set already. There are great pages online about security with IM's like ICQ which would give you instructions for in depth protection.

Scan with things like Adaware, Spybot S &amp; D and Macafee stinger was good too when I tried it.

Wenchy

22. <blockquote><hr>

Not sure why this didn't dawn on me earlier but I don't think it could be a keylogger because one of the accounts they changed the password too hasn't been open or logged into for about a year. I'm going to try the things everyone suggested. thanks a lot. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really quite odd, see I would tend to go along with exactly the advice that Connor Graham gave you - - keyloggers are a common way these things are gotten - - but see, usually they will use the info pretty soon after they acquire it, they won't wait a year.

Do you have a text file on your computer that contains the passwords for your accounts, perhaps? They could have gotten into your machine and found the text file.

I'd assume the machine had a keylogger and/or was able to be accessed remotely by the hacker until I knew otherwise.

23. sheesh ... A) the parents CAN'T be doing no: "the ass-beating to the parents"
    B) All your promoting is a "second chance" TO GET CAUGHT ... [​IMG]

As if this was the only one incident ... [​IMG]

village raised the child ... sheesh ... what a sophist bit of drival ...
    In those days ... 1 questionable act .... marked the "child" forever
    across the entire village ... up to the day they were buried ...
    "remember when he was five, and tipped old man millers cow? knew he was a bad one then ..."[​IMG]

condemed to "poverty"? HA! what a crock ... [​IMG] KNOWING that society "prefers" to give second chances ..
    [​IMG] they've learned that they only need approach from a "different angle" ... petition for a restoration of voting and/or gun possesion ...
    and thats only IF they want to "keep their name" ... and vote or own a gun ... [​IMG] poverty is all about "jobs" HUH !?

*shakes head*
    bio

24. Guest

Guest Guest

After my account was hacked I reformatted my computer. I ran a virus scan and it came up clean and I wasn't happy with that. I am pretty sure I know how the guy did it and he didn't need a keylogger or other virus but I wanted to be sure that nothing remained if there was something hidden.

So I wiped the drive clean then went and changed my password once more to ensure that any method requiring a virus was eliminated.

I did have more than one account each with a different email and password and only one of my accounts was hacked into. That fact alone tells me it was not a virus or both accounts would have likely been hit at the same time.

25. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

So, none of you have ever done anything stupid in your life that you know you'd never do again? Geeze, if that were the case for me, I'd be condemned to hell at the age of 3, stealing a cookie from the jar before dinner. There are no varrying degrees of right and wrong. Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

There is quite a bit of judgement on "punishment", and sadly no one here even knows the circumstances or what happened to either my experience or the OP's. My comments/opinions are based on my experience and mine alone and the decisions we made in our own home.

I saw no need to penalize an honor student who made a spur of the moment "bad choice" when in the company of another friend - Nor did I feel a need to add to his misery - his parent's recent divorce had allready done that.

While I would agree that a 15/16 year old should know better at that age, society cannot have it both ways. If an older person has "relationships" with a young person, they're held accountable for taking advantage of a minor. That in itself clearly indicates that a person under the age of 18 (in most states) may not be capable of making sound choices. However, when they do something stupid on their own, many want to hang them.

Regardless of all of that, I've not forgotten my own youth and the idiotic things I did (none of which I blame my parents for, I made choices on my own - it's a freedom we all have). I was given second chances and am quite thankful for them. In all cases, I never did those things I got in trouble for a second time.

It's Easter - Jesus died for the sins of all mankind, how sad to see so many who simply don't believe in forgiveness or second chances.

26. "While I would agree that a 15/16 year old should know better at that age"

15/16 yr olds of this day and age know a hell of a lot more than 15/16 yr olds did 20 yrs ago. Just the fact that they know how to rip someone off over the internet is enough proof of that, and yes, the fact that they did it knowing it was stealing, thus prosecutable, is enough for them to suffer the consequences of their actions.

27. critical flaw with your set of absolutes ...
    There are no varrying degrees of right and wrong. Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

nope ...
    There ARE varying degrees ... as there are of "penalties" ...

there's the "right" thing to do at this time and place ... same thing ... different time and place ... [​IMG]
    boo boo bad o on ye!

Your choice on how you act ... should be governed by that ...

even physical laws have "exceptions"

Gravity ... its not just a good idea ...
    its a law ...

28. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

Christy here are some good programs that are free from cnet's download.com. Adaware, Spybot S&amp;D, Spysweeper for getting rid spyware and such. CCleaner for cleaning you browser and temp files, this helps your computer run a lit better and insures your privacy. AVG Anti-Virus is a good free antivirus program.

Do you have a subscription to your current antivirus program and have it set to auto update? Antivirus programs are 100% worthless if you do not update the .dat files. My sister and I do computer repair out of our home. I can't begin to tell you of the people that bring in computers that end up being infected with viruses. When we advise them we get "I don't understand I have a antivirus program!!!" Sis the says well you didn't subcribe so you .dat files weren't up to date. To which she gets "I'd know it made a difference!" Well if you Antivirus program doesn't know what new stuff to check for ....guess what? It won't!

Virus programmers write new viruses EVERYDAY!! Really! So it is absolutely vital that you keep that puppy updated! AVG updates for free, I personally reccomend McAfee its saved my bacon numerous times. I also reccomend Norman Antivirus its by a company out of Australia, its good stuff! Also make sure you update your anti-spyware programs there will be a update section in all of them PM or aim me I will be happy to walk you through it. [​IMG] Also update CCleaner too.

29. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

critical flaw with your set of absolutes ...
    There are no varrying degrees of right and wrong. Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

nope ...
    There ARE varying degrees ... as there are of "penalties" ...

there's the "right" thing to do at this time and place ... same thing ... different time and place ... [​IMG]
    boo boo bad o on ye!

Your choice on how you act ... should be governed by that ...

even physical laws have "exceptions"

Gravity ... its not just a good idea ...
    its a law ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps in your world. But in mine, right is right, wrong is wrong.

That, in my eyes is what is messed up today in society, no one wants to accept that right is right, wrong is wrong and there is no gray area.

And thanks to this mentality, Clinton and half of society can claim oral sex isn't sex at all because there is no penetration. Give me a break!

30. <blockquote><hr>

Long story short, we got the account back, a 15 and 16 year old were pulled out of their high school classrooms by Federal officers (and no, I didn't press charges and ruin their lives simply because I'm a parent as well, and know that kids do stupid crap). People don't realize just how serious unauthorized take-over af a gaming account can be.

Live and learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have...
    15 &amp; 16 is old enough to be autonomous. If you don't punish bad behavior, you encourage it.

31. [​IMG]Whoa ... pick-a side of the fence! sheesh

no varrying degrees
    Right is right. Wrong is wrong.
    (and no, I didn't press charges and ruin their lives simply because I'm a parent as well, and know that kids do stupid crap)

pffffft!

32. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I haven't read the entire thread, but how exactly did you get your accounts back in 23 minutes, so early in the morning?

33. Guest

Guest Guest

are you people idiots or what ...Im sure the teenagers will remember they got a break and in the end will never do that again instead of thinking "we mess up one time and they lower the boom on us...they are just out to get us." Like Jesus said, "you without sin cast the first stone"...or "where are your accusers now?" What if no one ever cut you a break or you got caught doing everything you have done wrong. If you really felt that everyone should be punished..when you look down and notice that you were speeding you would stop a highway patrol and turn yourself in. Lets face it speeding is worse that hacking. How many people have killed anyone by hacking their uo account. Is a pixel or even money worth ruining someones life??

34. Guest

Guest Guest

im just happy that they were caught by bordoms instead of you other people.

35. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[​IMG]Whoa ... pick-a side of the fence! sheesh

no varrying degrees
    Right is right. Wrong is wrong.
    (and no, I didn't press charges and ruin their lives simply because I'm a parent as well, and know that kids do stupid crap)

pffffft!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have picked a side. I am on the side of the fence that knows right is right, wrong is wrong and conduct myself with that in mind.

Is there some reason you want to make me appear to be wishy-washy on this issue?

Let me put this another way. The boys who hacked my account had never done anything like this in the past (confirmed by the officers involved). The boys honestly didn't realize how much trouble they could get into nor did they have a FULL understanding of what they could have done to the rest of their lives (as most people that age, they truly do not have the comprehension of life-altering consequences - have doubts, start searching through science and medical studies of the mind - SHOULD have and DO have are two different things - and as far as the 15 year olds are not the same as the 15 year olds in days gone by, you're absolutley correct, today's youth now has even more crap on their plate yet still lack the mental ability to decipher and understand it all).

Next, the boy who got in the most trouble, the one who owned the computer, wasn't even on it, his friend was but given it was his computer and his ISP he was held just as responsible. I was not the only person that day, roughly three people were hit by the same person, which proves to me not that they went on a "Bonnie and Clyde" rampage, but that obviousely it was not premeditated evil simply because they left a huge amount of trackable bread crumbs along their path - clearly stupid and spur of the moment stupid crap that kids do when they get together.

Third, I spoke to the father of the boy who was deeply disturbed that his son would be involved in something of that matter and said he'd fully understand if we prosecuted to the fullest extent. We requested that he return/replace all items, taking accountability for his actions in that manner. I also spoke to the boy who thanked me profusely for not destroying his life, adding that they were "just goofing around and didn't think it would hurt anyone." Key words: DIDN'T THINK!

I also spoke to one of the other people who was hacked that night and he too spoke to the parents and both boys and came to the same conclusion as we had, that Federal officers pulling them from class as well as the replacement of all items was enough punishment for what they had done. Clearly that shows that I believed what they did warranted a punishment - ruining their lives was a decision only we could make based on the circumstances at hand.

In short, all I am trying to put forth is that many of you want to immedietly punish without knowing the circumstances - I would agree, if they were older or had a past record. But no one here knows that.

36. Israel Hands

Israel Hands Guest

It's a federal offense. It would not have mattered if you pressed charges or not,especially if it affected more than one person.

*considers this thread hijacked*

37. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

Actually, the end of my last post could appear to be wishy washy...forgive unless the person is older or has a record and that is not what I mean.

I have no qualms with punishment, just that it should fit the situation, especially when dealing with minors.

38. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It's a federal offense. It would not have mattered if you pressed charges or not,especially if it affected more than one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you answered my phone when the Bureau called and asked if we wished to pursue the matter further? With our account returned in the condition it was in, there was no need for prosecution of our portion. However, I cannot attest to what charges lingered on a Federal level - nor would I even try.

39. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I haven't read the entire thread, but how exactly did you get your accounts back in 23 minutes, so early in the morning? [/quot2}

When I checked my email and seen that the passwords were changed I called EA and they changed the passwords. I was up since my 3 week old doesn't know what sleep is lol. Now I'm glad she wouldn't sleep.

40. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Ok if I understand your argument right you basically didnt want to make these teenagers pay for a crime and make them a burden to society later on when they "DIDNT THINK" it was a big deal or get in trouble but you got your pixels back so it was fine and dandy.

Did you think when you wasted tax payer dollars just to get back your ingame items and didnt prosecute anyway? Please if your going to use our ( including yours) tax dollars use them wisely. It cost us your way even though they wont become a burden to society.

Guess Mcdonalds wont take their application b/c they have a record for hacking a game. I could see it now.

Manager: Well they seem nice kids but I cant hire them b/c they hacked a game on the net and that now effects their ability to flip burgers or mop a floor.

Hacking was a crime last I heard. Not a smack on the hand.

41. [​IMG] I wouldn't have wasted time and manpower ... over unprotected pixels ...

But IF I had started to waste others time ...
    I certainly would have followed through ... not for the pixels ... btw ...

For the poor others that wasted all that time and effort ...
    For the next set of "complaints" that got filed ...

ya know?

I would like to get some established grade of "action" for accessing my info on the net ... upto and including my little collection of pixels in UO.

Not too likely to happen though ... your case as an example ...

Your "hardline" of unvarying degree ... what happened the first sad tale?

Need some convictions on the books to get ANY traction for defining right and wrong re: Hacking accounts.
    Need some convictions and precedences set for keeping the civil servants Interested In following through on complaints.

THREE accounts were hacked ... by your telling of the tale.

[​IMG] wishy-washy is too weak a term.

42. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Ok if I understand your argument right you basically didnt want to make these teenagers pay for a crime and make them a burden to society later on when they "DIDNT THINK" it was a big deal or get in trouble but you got your pixels back so it was fine and dandy.

Did you think when you wasted tax payer dollars just to get back your ingame items and didnt prosecute anyway? Please if your going to use our ( including yours) tax dollars use them wisely. It cost us your way even though they wont become a burden to society.

Guess Mcdonalds wont take their application b/c they have a record for hacking a game. I could see it now.

Manager: Well they seem nice kids but I cant hire them b/c they hacked a game on the net and that now effects their ability to flip burgers or mop a floor.

Hacking was a crime last I heard. Not a smack on the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I "wasted tax payer dollars" because they PURCHASED my account with a hacked PayPal acount - unauthorized ownership. I didn't feel it necessary to emphasize anything more than it being a hack (how was irrelevent). I'm not a cry baby over ingame items - it was a monetary loss for us (the refund cost me in ISF fees when those monies were not in my account), so spare me any lecture on tax dollars - most of which is foolishly spent on wars, killling, punishing and rebuilding- all of the things some of you apparently support.

43. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[​IMG] I
    THREE accounts were hacked ... by your telling of the tale.

[​IMG] wishy-washy is too weak a term.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, read the post: three others were effected when I was. They were not my accounts - I was but one of three.

As for my first "sad tale" it's allready been written in a thread regarding IDOC and housing issues. It was abug in Publish 7. If you played all those moons ago, you'd know which bug I refer to.

But thank you for turning this into a personal attack of my character - it reflects your mentality level and my point that some do not grow up mentally at 15.

44. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I forgot to add that some of my accounts had different passwords and different email addresses so does anyone know how they could have got them all. they got 7 of my accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do anyone have remote access to your computer? or did you play on a friend or work computer?.
    Do you have password on your computer?

If anyone has been able to access your computer with admin right, he can easy find your account names and if you are using Outlook Express, I would changes my email passwords and not allow the program to remember the passwords or use Outlook instead.

If they get your email passwords and your account names, they have everything they need unless you use the new add to account secure where you chose a question and an ansvar (I think).

45. Jahira-Tor

Jahira-Tor Lore Master

My first thaught would be to ask if anyone you know irl plays UO? Somone that comes to your house etc etc.

Apart from that sounds like some computer expert type person.

46. Guest

Guest Guest

Do anyone have remote access to your computer? or did you play on a friend or work computer?.
    Do you have password on your computer?

If anyone has been able to access your computer with admin right, he can easy find your account names and if you are using Outlook Express, I would changes my email passwords and not allow the program to remember the passwords or use Outlook instead.

If they get your email passwords and your account names, they have everything they need unless you use the new add to account secure where you chose a question and an ansvar (I think).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been playing on my computer. I went through and changed all my passwords on all my email addresses and I've changed the password on my uo accounts twice yesterday. I wish ea would do somethinng to make it harder for people to steal your accounts. If they had to answer a question before changing the password it would have been harder for them to change it. I just hope I can keep from it happening again. my sister is trying to get me to play WOW instead now she said if you are hacked they give you all your things back that you lost but I just don't like WOW. The graphics are great but it's just not as fun as uo to me. I was just wondering if anyone else has been hacked lately that could be by the same person. my characters were left stripped at skara brae inn and they took all my unused vet rewards of course and my ethys.

47. Samaira

Samaira Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Key words: DIDN'T THINK!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a quick FYI - this is in no way an attack on you, or your mindset when it comes to this issue, just throwing in my 2gp.

Ahem.

A few years back, in my home town (small town New Zealand) a 16 year old kid "didn't think" when he took a piece of number 8 fencing wire from a railway barrier fence and pulled it across a high school bicycle track, tying it to the fence on the other side. He came within 20 cm of killing my brother.

Riding along this track at 45k/hr (tail wind, for those who wonder, heh), my brother collided with the taut lenght of wire, slicing the tip off his finger. Had the fencepost been 20 cm higher, it would have hit his neck.

Drastic example, I know... but it's the same case of kids not thinking about the consequences of their actions. Anyone who has a) been a teenager or b) raised a teenager knows that you can tell them until you're blue in the face, but some kids are never going to listen. They're too old to be locked in their rooms without any dinner, but legally not old enough to truly take full responsibility for their actions. I'm not saying "ruin" a kid's life by giving them a criminal record, more like... pull them out of school, stick them in an interrogation room (with full Good Cop/Bad Cop treatment) and let them spend a couple of nights in a cell. There is far too much "Oh darling, please don't do that" in this world for my liking. The world isn't filled with cotton wool. Give these kids a taste of what they'll have to go through if they try stunts like hacking at 18 and above.

And as far as my above example is concerned, my parents didn't press charges. That kid (now in his mid 20s) is in jail for assult, last I heard. *shrugs*

48. DeadCrafter

DeadCrafter Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Hi Peaches !!!!!It so nice to see an oldtimer once in a while.

49. [​IMG]
    Your "hardline" of unvarying degree ... what happened the first sad tale?

right is right and wrong is wrong, with no varying degree ...
    no one wants to accept that right is right, wrong is wrong and there is no gray area.

Bureau of Internet Fraud and filed a formal complaint.
    A 15 and 16 year old were pulled out of their high school classrooms by Federal officers.

and no, I didn't press charges and ruin their lives simply because I'm a parent as well, and know that kids do stupid crap.
    [​IMG]

Well ... sure the heck looks like YOU found a gray area ...

By the way ... the first sad tale .... was the one you heard from them.
    wrong is wrong and there is no gray area
    Accounts were hacked
    Bureau of Internet Fraud and filed a formal complaint.
    A 15 and 16 year old were pulled out of their high school classrooms by Federal officers.

Then what ...
    I saw no need to penalize an honor student who made a spur of the moment "bad choice" when in the company of another friend - Nor did I feel a need to add to his misery - his parent's recent divorce had allready done that.

[​IMG] Oh! what they did wasn't wrong? it was "just" a spur of the moment "bad choice" when in the company of another friend
    Lacking a gray area ... then what they did was right ? and you were wrong to file a formal complaint ?
    [​IMG]

I made no "personal" attack ... merely pointed out a serious flaw in your reasoning ... its still there by the way ...

one of the problems in arguing from the gray.

50. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. This thread could have been a good help to others making some aware of of good programs to use to help with spyware etc. And I do hope it helped the op.
    Sadly it has gotten off track and is turning into a you were wrong..no you are,why did you do that..why wouldn't you do it, is it even true..of course it is I have all the details type of schoolyard argument.

Whatever was done is done. I think everyone needs to step back take a deep breath agree to disagree and go play the game. Otherwise I foresee this thread getting locked or moved in the near future.