1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hephaestus ( New Shield) is Faster casting 1.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by archite666, May 5, 2012.

1. archite666

archite666 Guest

I'm tired of people thinking it is FC 2. The other FC is used to get rid of the negative from spell channeling.

I think its kinda disappointing... This is just marginally better than arcane shield... and it has reflect physical...

[​IMG]

G.v.P likes this.
  2. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

I like it better than the "FC 2 version"...

3. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

That could make the ultimate anti dexxer suit....

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

*Wishes there were an item like the Whetstone that would remove Reflect Physical*

yars likes this.
  5. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

thank god, still an absolutely amazing shield, but not a deal breaker.

Ware there gargoyle versions of this stuff?

Viquire likes this.
  6. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

isn't the reflect bug fixed? When talking about runics 6 or so months ago I griped that while I get a lot of LMC stuff half of them have reflect so I have to toss them and basicly everyone chimed in saying the bug was already fixed and you no longer get guardwhacked for other people attacking you.

7. Tazar

Tazar Guest

It's possible it was - but I have not heard of it and would probably still avoid it out of habit. :p

8. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Yes, this shield is still very nice and not OP. I hope it can be altered into a Gargoyle version. Has anyone tried?

9. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

The ultimate anti dexxer mage shield would have reactive paralyze on it.

G.v.P likes this.
  10. archite666

archite666 Guest

Its not really nice, it doesnt really do anything other than a slightly better arcane shield. How many arcane shields do you see being used? I was more excited about FC2, people might actaully use that to do something interested. You can get either human or gargoyle.

Dan123The123Man and Promathia like this.
  11. archite666

archite666 Guest

Exactly, it doest have RP or hpr, I don't see it being much use.

12. Dan123The123Man

Dan123The123Man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeeeeaah... So if these only last like 24 hours after turning in points, I think i'll stick to my 1m gold worth Arcane Shield lol. Save myself the trouble of getting pretty much a "replica" of the arcane shield that would only last 24 hours.

13. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

The ones from Cora are permanent.

14. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Depending on the base type you might be able to alter it.

15. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

are you sure? maybe not the same timer but what does the new tag mean? Ephemeral, the tag on it, literally means "Lasting for a very short time" which I could translate in a few ways

1. It takes damage significantly faster than normal items
    2. It will only drop for a limited amount of time. (like the dyes in the turnin)
    3. Uses a "faction artifact" type repair system where it's durability cap lowers permanantly (cannot be pof'd)....except not broken and allowing you to toally bypass it like you can with factions.
    4. some other form of the item "expiring" after an amount of time.

16. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

The ones from Cora can be repaired/PoF'd.

The ones from the turnin just A. Cant be Pof'd and B. Only have the one type of durability. If its 250/250 - If it goes down once it goes to 249/249

17. archite666

archite666 Guest

No alteration needed, there are both human and gargoyle versions of the shield and bow available.

18. Meatbread

Meatbread Journeyman

Nice shield, but not OP. If there were a version with HCI instead of DCI I would totally use it. As it is, my suit is max DCI already.

Also, for anyone just kinda skimming the thread:

There are no combat artifacts that disappear after 24 hours. That only applies to certain crafting-boost items. The Ephemeral tag simply means an item loses durability quickly and cannot be powdered.

19. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

There does seem to be a lot of misinformation going around. I was thinking to post a picture as well after I read that other thread, haha.

I have to disagree with you on "marginally better." I mean, 8 LMC? 15 Physical Resist? The only thing an Arcane Shield does better is Night Sight.
    They really ought to have lowered the DCI to 10 IMO, but I won't complain (high STR and no Night Sight doesn't balance it against the Arcane Shield).

Here's a picture of Cora's full stock, as well as the adjusted prices (note there are no brightblades in her inventory):

[​IMG]

2515 pts--Blight of the Tundra (Soul Glaive)
    2000 pts--Hephaestus (Large Plate Shield, 90 STR Req.)
    1840 pts--Bracelet of Protection (Universal)
    2515 pts--Blight of the Tundra (Composite Bow)
    2000 pts--Hephaestus (Heater Shield, 90 STR Req.)

Also note the bow is now a composite bow rather than just a bow--seems silly unless you're a wraith due to lack of HML, but that is going to be some nice DPS. I feel bad for macers, it isn't like archers don't have nice artifacts.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Are the Prismatic Lenses not listed?

21. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Forgot about those. Seemed like she only had the three types above, unless I missed something (went from spyglass fish finder straight to these).

22. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

Why not use "brittle" tag instead?

23. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Brittle - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Brittle means an item cannot be PoFed but can be repaired, and no documentation exists that they lose durability more quickly.

Granted, I've long-suspected that many Brittle items are bugged in this manner.

But that's not the same as being what the property indicates.

-Galen's player

24. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Thank you; I'd been wondering what that item property was.

-Galen's player

25. Meatbread

Meatbread Journeyman

Specifically, ephemeral means that the item loses max durability when it takes damage. That is to say, it would go from 100/100 directly to 99/99 durability.

I don't know why we need umpteen-zillion different mods that all boil down to "If you use this item too long it gets deleted so you have to go farm another! Looool content!"

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  26. Sir_Bolo

Sir_Bolo Sage

I'll rephrase R_Traveler's question...

"Since the final effect is the same (the item will eventually break), why didn't the Devs simply use one of the already existing properties instead of introducing yet another new property with a confusing name?"

We already have at least four different item property tags preventing repairs/fortification: "Brittle", "Can Not Be Repaired", "Imbued", "Replica", plus some old items which had this as a "hidden" property. Now we also have "Ephemeral" in the list...

Note that an "Ephemeral" item with 250 starting max durability will last exactly the same as a "Brittle/Can Not Be Repaired" item with 125 max durability - both items will break after suffering 250 points of damage...

27. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ægis
    Self Repair 5
    Reflect Physical Damage 15%
    Defense Chance Increase 15%
    Lower Mana Cost 8%
    Physical Resist 15%
    Fire Resist 1%
    Strength Requirement 90
    Durability 255
    Arcane Shield
    Spell Channeling
    Night Sight
    Defense Chance Increase 15%
    Faster Casting 1
    Energy Resist 1%
    Strength Requirement 20
    Durability 255

28. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

Spyglass Fish Finder????????????

29. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Basically a spyglass item that you use to find rare fish, lasts four hours. It's the last of the crafter-based items before the arties on Vela's list of items.

30. archite666

archite666 Guest

If you compare item to item, This shield is slightly better. If you compare the items in the context of an entire suit. They are pretty much the same. I was excited to start working out a mage suit with a fc 2 shield. This thing does not do anything special. We are back to the whole " Don't give us arties that are worse than reforges" I'd rather still use an orny and then reforge a shield with all new cool mods like damage eater, reactice paralize, and hit point regen.

Don't get me wrong, this is better than the crappy doom arties from before but I think FC 2 would give people something to talk about. New templates and new playability.

31. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Well Kai, posted this on May 4th, said the item properties for some of the items were adjusted, this is one of them:

Hephaestus
    • Self repair 5
    • Reflect Physical 15%
    • Defence Chance Increase 15%
    • Lower Mana Cost 8%
    • Physical Resist 15%
    • Fire Resist 1%
    • Faster Casting 2
    • Spell Channeling
    • Parry 10

32. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

This is NOT the shield that is supposed to be coming, as posted on the Herald on May 4th.

33. archite666

archite666 Guest

I'm pretty sure they posted it like that to indicate the spellchanneling -1 would be offset. I'm very certain we are getting a FC 1 shield. Which I find is a huge letdown.

34. Phangs_of_Phage

Phangs_of_Phage Journeyman

Either way 15 phys, 15 dci, 1 fc 8 lmc is kinda powerful

35. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

Where do I find the list of items, specifically the crafting ones, from Pub 76? I saw the armor and weapons but can't find the crafting ones.

36. Dan123The123Man

Stratics Veteran

allow me to tilt my head backwards and laugh loudly to all those saying this is actually powerful. :lol:

:bs:

I'll keep my my current shield over this sheit anyday.
    Spell Channeling
    Faster Casting 1 (actual mod on shield, so I gues it's really FC2?)
    Defense Chance Increase 15
    Hit Point Regeneration 2
    Reflect Physical Damage 15
    Luck 40 (i think this is on it, not home atm to take a pic)
    Fire Resist 3
    Energy Resist 1

Turn that LMC on the shield into HP Regen and then we're talkin.

37. Phangs_of_Phage

Congrats you have one of the first imbued shields before they were fixed. I also have a 20 mage wep fc1 bok like that. Those cannot be made anymore for a reason. You bad GZ hugger you.

38. Ezekiel Zane

You may very well be correct, however, that is not nor has it ever been how we've communicated FC properties on an item.

If you tell someone an item is Spell Channeling, FC2 then that is what is displayed, not inferred because of Spell Channeling's FC-1 penalty.

If a weapon is Spell Channeling with no FC-1 penalty you don't say it's Spell Channeling, FC1. Never have.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  39. Dan123The123Man

Stratics Veteran

Phangs_of_Phage :loser: hater

U know now that I think about it though... I wonder if I could make my suit even better somehow. Instead of LMC on my gloves or sleeves if I picked up this shield I could have 2 MR or somethin id ont know... I dont think its worth it tho i mean im at 16 HP Regen with this shield and 16 MR (19 with a book in hand) and my suits non faction 4/6 70 dci 70s corpse proof 100 lrc 18 sdi 40 lmc. Very simply to make to, made with ring of soulbinder and orny, battle chest, sick legs, sick gorget, easy to make sleeves/gloves.

40. Phangs_of_Phage

Wasted MR mods and wasted SDI mods. Better off hitting 16 MR 18 HPR and 15 damage eater instead of overcapping MR. Enchanted coral bracelet> orny

41. Dan123The123Man

Stratics Veteran

then i'd only be 3/6 tho right? I run a chiv, spellweaving, anatomy mage template (69 magery) and i primarily heal using chivalry, so 4/6 is really a must for the template I run with. Coral bracelet also has a useless mod:

"Hit Chance Increase 5%"

All the mods on ring of soulbinder are helpful for the template i have. It's really not as easy of a suit to build using all non faction gear to get the same mods/specs. I have like 4 hp regen, 3 mr on my legs and same for my gorget. Legs are like around 90 TR i think with 31 in fire resist, gorget i dont know id have to post a screenshot or look and i cant cause im at work.

42. archite666

archite666 Guest

Any word if they are going to go ahead and make it FC 2?

I would be really let down if its not. I know it might be one of the best artifact shields out with FC 1 but it would still pale in comparison to reforged shields. I would like to see people get something that allows them to rebuild some suits, mix things up a bit.

43. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Looks like you are right Archite, I just check Origin and the shield is still only FC1. The self repair was added and the Devs are counting the FC2, but not factoring in the Neg 1 fc from Spell channeling (which they always have in the past). Why do they not just show us the mods as they are displayed?

44. Ezekiel Zane

Because although they keep telling us they actually do play the game, evidence suggests otherwise.

45. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

now they just need a non-caster version of the shield =D ssi, hci, di

Shelleybean likes this.
  46. archite666

archite666 Guest

I really hope they update it to FC2 but I'm guessing they won't... Its a shame I was really excited to see what templates would come out it. I just wanted to try to build an anatomy mage without an orny for once.

47. Dan123The123Man

Stratics Veteran

Yeah if there is any arty I would like to see a new version if it's definatelly the orny... That damn bracelet is so over used and abused... Would like to see a Ring like that, or a new bracelet with tastier and newer stats. Maybe a bracelet with 4 or 6 FCR instead of the 2 FC. People may start using Djinn's ring more often, or that 1/2 shield.

48. WildWobble

WildWobble Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I remember the same thing happening in the past so get over it! fc 2 with sc = fc 1 end of story they have done this before and will do it again! This is not NEW

Raptor85 likes this.
  49. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Well, I don't remember them doing this in the past, I think this is a new thing, so unless you can site some sort of proof, it is new. Now, I could be wrong, but I keep up on the patches and the info on the boards pretty well.

50. Dan123The123Man

Stratics Veteran