1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Herding : Can someone please explain this to me ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Jul 28, 2010.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I bumped into something which I cannot explain.

Can someone ?

The only thing I can think of is a bug.

Alright, I was bored and so started fooling around with my Sheperd (Herding skill).

Now : http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30661

I went to Herd this http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=202

Well, I got a message saying that "this creature cannot be herded".

As I said, a bug ??

2. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

If you were trying to herd the hell hounds around the bane dragons they can't be tamed anymore, so they probably can't be herded...

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Correct. While they share the same name, the hell-hounds by the bane-dragon spawn are totally different animals.

4. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

perhaps:

You can only herd creatures that you can tame, but not all tamebale creatures can be herded.

Or:

perhaps the hellhound was part of a spawn that cannot be tamed (like the bane spawn, or a champ spawn).

Or:

They changed the rules for herding hellhounds, but stratics has not yet updated a particular sentence you are looking at.

Or:

The Devs, in a nefarious plot against you, have hacked your hard drive, watched you begin developing a shepherd, and the latest "shard maintenance" was in actuality, the Devs quickly pushing out a server publish aimed at causing you anguish by making hellhounds tameable, but immune to herding.

5. This one. :pint:

6. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Perhaps if you read the whole paragraph instead of just the first few words it might become clearer?
    This was written by someone who has extensively herded creatures of all kinds on all facets. Me.

7. popps

popps Always Present

Well, they are tagged Hell Hounds and Hell Hounds are tameables.

So, they should be herdable OR, they should be made a different animal.

By the way, from your wording, it appears that they were tameable and then this was changed.

If that is the case, WHY was it changed ?

8. popps

popps Always Present

It was not Hell hounds in a champion spawn on the Felucca facet nor Oaks in Ilshenar.
    They were neither in Ilshenar nor in Tokuno.

They were the Hellhounds by the Bane Dragon spawn in Stygian Abyss so, by the definition of what should be herdable creatures, they SHOULD HAVE BEEN herdable.

And yet, they were not.

9. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

They aren't normal hell hounds. They have much higher hit points and hit point regeneration than a normal hell hound. A pack of five of them would have been seriously unbalanced, and the yelling and screaming would have risen to the realms of Valhalla and smitten the ears of the gods, as hammers and whatnot... :)

10. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable

:lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

they need to change the name of the ones in abyss to something a little different maybe corrupted hellhounds or whatever

12. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Full details here - direct from a Dev.

No - the ones by the banes are not tamable (or herdable) and were never supposed to be. If you want to herd hell-hounds - there are plenty of other places to go herd them.

13. popps

popps Always Present

Well, as I said, I wanted to fool around and that was the place I choose for my fun playing.........

Other places do not interest me as much, at this one time....... we'll see in the future.

14. Fink

Fink Guest

Herding is far too powerful a skill to "fool around"! :eek:

Kidding. Go have fun with it. Don't look for a list of complaints because you will find them, and that will sap the joy out of it. It is what it is, it does what it does, and it's all in how you apply it. It can be a purely fun thing, a good supporting skill, or a powerful tactical tool for both pvp and pvm. As with all things, doing some reading first should explain the basics.

A few other exceptions to the rules listed above: the bane dragon in the Abyss is herdable. Part of the Sleeping Dragon spawn is herdable. Fire Steeds are technically herdable (an attempt is not refused) but cannot be persuaded to move. Also, the bane hell hounds can't be tamed by a necromancer with the dark wolf familiar.

15. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Play the game popps, and stop trying to get over on "The Man". :gee:

16. wanderer1origin

wanderer1origin Lore Master

lol poops were you trying to use game mechanics against another player ???
    me think u got frustrated and tried to grief another player??

17. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

I called EA...they said you nailed it on the nefarious plot thingy.

That, and they were all talking about the ML ingredient thing (or glaringly obvious LACK THEREOF) too.

That, too, is a plot, of which a scarily small amount is actually talked about...by the Devs...I think you know what I'm saying...but I can't say ANYTHING else...NDA...I may have said too much already. If i did, PM me.

*Wink Wink Nudge Nudge*

18. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Sadly for all the hard work the Dev team spent placeing a trojan in Popps HD, watching and waiting and hatching the plan to stop his herding plans the skill is a huge waste.

The only slight fun one can have is herding dragons around in Destard hoping to kill some poor fool who enters, but you can only loot them in Fel. One might happen to stumble upon a group doing a harrower in the same spot and you could lead the dragons over there to lend a hand to chaos but thats really about it.

19. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Oh ye of little imagination :D