1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Stratics Staff! Any Status on the old Forums?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Setnaffa, May 21, 2008.

1. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

There's just way too much information in the old forums to just blow them off. Do you have any status on the Forum restoration?

2. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

I believe wel'll have an official* announcement very soon. :)

I've heard that the recovery process turned out better than expectet and that "they are working on it" as we speak/ I write.

*this is an unofficial reply.

3. _zigzag_

_zigzag_ Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Nothing is being 'blown off' :D
    Data was indeed recovered and is being looked at. Today we should know more about what and how we will handle any import etc. of that data. When we do know more, I will make sure any info is posted here right away.

4. packrat

packrat Guest

Yes, the GM's are working on it. You are #560 on the que list. lol

5. Littleblue

Littleblue Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Great! I'm glad to hear that at least some (if not most) of the data was recovered. :)

6. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

So does the word "import" mean the data will be added here and we won't be going back to the old style forum? Thats how it read to me, but just trying to make sure thats what you actually meant. :)

7. As I read the news we got, yes ... this forum software and setup will remain, the old stuff will be merged/transferred in. However that's all we know officially. Honest. I think that includes old user accounts ... not sure.

Please take note: Stratics supports more than the UO environment in the way of forums that got nailed. I personally have no idea how the import process (for lack of better word) will be established. But please don't get your shorts in a wad if UO is not the first kid on the block ... okay?

8. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Cool.. Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about user info, but I'd like to have the game detail information back for reference. :thumbup1:

9. jelinidas

jelinidas Guest

Yuppers, I read it this way...This is ur new Fourms, we will get back as much data as we can. Hope ya like the new look! Personally, I do! Much quicker and they can do so much more with this format. Give it time, it will grow on ya.

10. love2winalot

love2winalot Guest

Quote, "I believe wel'll have an official* announcement very soon.

I've heard that the recovery process turned out better than expectet and that "they are working on it" as we speak/ I write." end quote

Hail: I repersent UO/Mythic, and we did not give you written permission to use our standard response. Someone from here may sue you, if we can find out who does that sort of thing, and it may happen at some point in the future...........so take heed. hehehehe:cool:

11. ColterDC

ColterDC Visitor

Hahaha

If you're lucky you might make it to number 6 in the queue.

But that's as far as you'll get!!!

12. ColterDC

ColterDC Visitor

I can just imagine all the crying that will occur when/if some people's thousands of post counts are lost.

That just makes me laugh.

13. Deb

Deb Guest

I can't wait till the profession forums are back up. Need some info on
    various skills.

14. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I prefer the old forums. *ducks*

15. Azureal

Azureal Guest

Seconded! Since coming back Ive been craving info, and its gone! If nothing else, the UO community always had the most comprehensive game info available at any given time.

16. Zooithion

Zooithion Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Good to hear!

17. Sneaky

Sneaky Guest

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

New stratics SuXXoR! Bring back the old one ASAP!!!

18. Shari

Shari Guest

No kidding, we all know TSO is the #1 priority!!!
    *runs away*

19. Gwendar-SP

Gwendar-SP Guest

I don't think EA likes these forums - they sure aren't posting here.

20. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Jeremy, Crissay and Regine have all posted here. Bear in mind they have a currently running focus group and therefore are probably concentrating on their board with feedback from that at the moment.

21. Ancient Sosarian

Ancient Sosarian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I much preferred the original UO Stratics to the so called "new & improved" TEMPORARY one.

Let's restore the originals and put the temporary one to rest.

p.s. I frequent UO Stratics...NOT all the rest of what they call content...so keep my shorts neat & comfy and Bring Back the REAL UO Stratics

Ancient Sosarian

22. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

vB > UBB any decade. +1 vote for vB. *looking forward to the conversion* :)

23. galefan2004

galefan2004 Guest

I personally believe that most of the old information was so outdated that none of it was really worth going through any trouble to restore. I would love to see up to date information on the forums and this seems to be a chance to do that.

24. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Excuse me????

Apparently you never looked to check, but SEVERAL of the forums had just have COMPLETELY NEW FAQs completely or partially done in the 2-3 weeks prior to the accident. I had personally posted half a new Smith FAQ, a completely new Mining FAQ, and a number of supporting posts for both (in fact, was working on another supporting post for the Smith data when the incident occurred). Another moderator had just completed a new Magery FAQ. Then, there was the massive compilation of Questions & Answers that T'Amon had put together (and was still adding to) on the Player Center/Q&A forum, from questions asked in just the last 3 months prior.

I think you're confusing the stuff on the main UO Stratics page (which DIDN'T go away, and IS mostly out of date) with the individual FAQs of the various Profession and trade forums, many of which were only rewritten within the last few months, if not weeks.

Recovering the forums are a priority because it was the most recent information that was almost lost (and still not returned), while all the outdated info you rightfully want see replaced never went anywhere....

25. Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

The new board is fine. I don't see what the big deal is... color might be different, buttons in a different spot -- who cares?

The old board did have a year worth of great content plus older FAQs... which were being updated! So it is well worth it to merge the old content with the new imo, and that's probably the route they will persue.

26. Bazer

Bazer Slightly Crazed
    Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Stratics Legend

I just hope the stuff gets back up rolleyes:, Im really starting to feel the knoledge of the stuff i learned and red here start dripping out of my brain :wall::wall::wall:

27. DrDolittle

DrDolittle Journeyman

The only thing that I really miss from the old forums is that they made it easier to see was who a post was replying to when browsing in “linear” mode.

I was poking around in the User Control Panel and noticed a Miscellaneous Options setting for Forum Skin. There are also two unlabeled Quick Style Chooser drop down list boxes on the forum screen that can change the skin; one is in the lower left corner and the other and the other is in the upper right. I played around with different skins but they were mostly just different color schemes so I decided to do a bit more digging.

It seems that the “temporary” forums are vBulletin. From what I was able to find, these vBulletin styles or skins use templates which combines bits of XHTML code and PHP variables to generate the complete XHTML pages that the user sees. Browsing through the vBulletin manual it looks like one could do some pretty sophisticated stuff with a bit of work. So maybe that reply feature I am missing could be added.

28. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master

I miss the profession forums w/templates and ideas.......I recently deleted a 7th char. and want ideas for a new one......just waiting on stratics to make it so.