1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Toe Jam!!! And other Siege founders!!!

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by kelmo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

When did Siege start? What was it like? I am committed to writing up a new Stratics guide but I am not getting a lot of info... Perhaps I asked the wrong questions and or people.

Anyone else? Please help out! Info and links! Who was that ex Dev that posted not so long ago... The fellow that had a lot to do with the creation of Siege. Anyone know where he works now?

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Sweet! I will research that. As far as history goes I am interested in Siege facts. The last thread generated a lot about people and guilds. I may use some of that in a flavor of Siege section, first... history.

4. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Skills went up muchmuch muchhhhh much slower. That's all I remember.

5. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Talk with Crazy Joe. I know he had started up a Siege museum in his house outside of Brit, but when he quit and once his house fell, most of that information was lost. I know he got a lot of his information from the folks at Battle Vortex...la

6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Edited title... Some one get a hold of Lady Pyrite. I know she was here in the beginning as well. She was among the first GM smiths? Back when smiths mattered?

7. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

My memory is a bit hazy. I remember that some folks from the SnR board had an SnR guild/keep on Siege from pretty early on. I recall Leandra ( who very sadly passed away last year ) and ummm T'Amon At Work being involved with that ? I think T'Amon is not currently posting on Stratics due to rl stuff but his contact info is probably about somewhere so it may be possible to get hold of him. Not so much about the guild but because he is one of the most helpful people I have ever come across and has a good retentive memory.

8. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Most of the people I know from that era I am out of contact with. Maligor was one of them, and he seems to have vanished :( That's unfortunate because he and a couple of others established one of the very first small settlements near Yew moongate, in what is mostly CWS territory now.

I will send a couple of emails...

9. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Bella Noire was also a part of that as well, I believe she is still Stratics staff?

10. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

Not any more, sadly. I think she still logs in to Stratics from time to time though.

11. Nabber

Nabber Guest

OGD placed the first house on seige, Server was up for 2 weeks and we had a wipe (which was nor supposed to happen unlees massive bugs were found) OGD was bummed and did not play as hard core and UDL got the foothold on Ice Island and deceit. OGD finally got in gear and took over shame (which made tons more money). Glory on SP back in the days of dial up was all about ping and a whole lot less about Armor and Weps (although the gear (read speed enhancement hack) made a lot of difference too).

Skill gains were slow if you did not move as they were based upon an 8 x 8 grid, move out of the grid gain a skill (or stay in same spot and gain slower) usually on the first attempt.

Farming characters carried Kindling and bed rolls, Magic arrow was usually always followed by dispel field (LOL at anyone who asks why) Tamers were considered lame in PvP, Dyed Death robe mages were king, pre casting was the bomb, magic arrow paralyze explosion flamestrike hally hit was usually enough to drop anyone, duels were sacred, did I miss anything?

12. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

also have to remember that there were technically 2 sieges.....the first one lasted about two weeks and in that time we were almost all red and hugged the chaos shrine......I wish I had some of my old pictures :(

unfortunately I was not a PvP god in the glory days of Siege.......but yeah I loved the old days

13. Nabber

Nabber Guest

Oh and if you did not have screenshots it did not happen LOL.

14. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Just take what you have now, flip it so its the complete opposite, and thats what siege was.

15. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

QFT

16. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Oddly enough, I got a few of the books from CJ's museum. They were given to me for safe keeping.

17. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

i remember we use to have 20 mins that we were announced that server was going down and everyone stood outside vesper dungeon. once that message came it was a free for all. everyone attacking everyone.

I also think I got the only balrog statue when they first had statues given to everyone. I dont remember how they did it but it seems everyone got 1 statue.

lag spikes would hit us when we were in hythloth and after you can log back in 5 mins later you would see lots of ghosts running to the outside.

monsters did not have path finding so we used crates in a row to block off monsters and stand on other side to wail.

Lorddog

18. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

I remember it being brit Graveyard

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Craft skills were not subject to rot, nor was magery or archery. ROT originally was in effect from 0 skill up but the daily caps did not apply until 60 if i remember right. These were the inital rules after the first siege was wiped. I also think Taming was not rot based until much later.

20. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I was there from day one too and I can tell it was alot of fun.
    Runesable was the father of Siege, he was not even a PvP player but a smith. He was the Dev who gave us Siege.

At that time, many of us was using the forum COB, Crossroad of Britainnia.
    We was asking for a Dark shard, others was asking for a Happy shard. There was alot of hate between PvP'ers and non PvP'ers.
    I remember Designer Dragon say, it would be easier to make a Dark shard than a Happy shard. Sadly they made Siege so nerfed that many PvP players was not willing to accept the nerfed Siege rules we got after the wipe and there was not need for more servers than the two we have now.
    Then a year after, they choose the other road and made Trammel and Siege become a stepchild.

Did you see my post in your other thread?
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1195571&mode=threaded#post1195571
    There is some links and basis facts about the start
    I was there from day one too and I can tell it was alot of fun.

The first weeks, we was all noobs. There was alot of stuff we could not get as the crafters was noobs too.

Skill gain was so slow. I remember 5 guys hunting same lizardman to get the spear.
    When it die, one become grey from looting and the rest of the noobs hunted him down to kill him.

We got a little help, tailoring was made easier so we could make some armor with a noob crafter. That gave some other trouble and Jem Fire fighted the devs because she could not become gm tailor as it was impossible to gain tailoring in the higher skills. Think it took close to a year before we got a fix for that.

I also remember the first week, alot was starting out mining, maybe for the ingots or maybe for str gain.

Most was doing their mining around farm land, inside guard zone but we was also alot in the cave north of Brit. We had a forge the first week, think it was some kind of bug that gave it to us. Sadly the devs removed it again.

When we all was bust mining, think we was around 20-30 miners in the cave, 4 players show up.
    They started to demand ingots and killing the ones who refused. After few mins we was only around 8-10 miners left, the rest run to town with their tail between their legs.

2 of the 4 PK's become red this first day of UO, one of the names was something with Cola as a part of the name, the others I can't remember.

When Herog got his first house, he placed it outside the cave and demanded I think 5 or 10% ingots for using his forge.

It sure was a great time.

Ask what you want to know, I may know it.

21. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

No they first starter around 1 years after Siege was born, when we for a while lost RoT and got powerhour

22. Revvo

Revvo Slightly Crazed

I think the more pertinent question is when DID Siege end?

23. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Wow, you actually hit it dead on there lol.

24. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

one other thing i remember is someone placed a house inside vesper dungeon level 3 - the lich room. It was there for a week or two I think.

25. I was here on day one,and after the wipe, i joined TAK, Most of us had the NameTa'Kier(a Evil Guild) for char. last name , we had a tower beside Despise and we would charge players to hunt there, In that day bigger guilds would lay claim on the caves.You know whats funny ..if im right Krystals Char was in TAK and the player who ran it was anti PK she would get mad at me for PKing LOL:coco:

26. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

hehe I was a UDL slave.....then I an solo for a bit and then wandered before ending up in SHR, I was then in ORC and the I took a break for college......