1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

heya, "new" to ATL

Discussion in 'UO Atlantic' started by Derium of ls, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Derium of ls

Derium of ls Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I transfered over to ATL about a year ago, but since then I've pretty much kept to myself. I was wondering what a good "relaxed" guild might be (I can't remember the last time I killed anything, I just loiter a lot). And also if auctions are ran on this server very often.

thanks!

-Derium of... hrm, Derium of ATL now eh?

2. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

There are a lot of great guilds out there - though finding the right one for you can be a challenge.

It's usually best to just make friends and see where it leads to.

What playstyle do you prefer (other than loitering?) PVP? PVM? RP? Crafting? a little of everything? Mature groups? L33T attitudes? A little info will go a long way in meeting up with the right groups.

4. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

start roleplaying!
    the RP community does it all, PVP PVM Crafting, quests and of course RP

5. Derium of ls

Derium of ls Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Thank you for the welcomes :)

I use to be able to roleplay, however I am not very good at it =( unless it's conisdered "light" roleplaying because that I can do, I just am not well versed enough in old/middle English to speak properly ;)

I enjoy crafting above all, but not the new AoS stuff, I honestly never took time to learn item stats in UO (amazing huh?) but I do like slaving over a hot forge making guild items.

Many years ago I ran a guild on LS I spent all of my time at my large tower with all of the reds in stats loss playing checkers and chess with them, so I guess I'm just a Paris Hilton with a smithy hammer!

6. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

Most of the RP community doesn't use old English type phrases and such things. A lot of us just adapt modern language and phrases into UO, while staying within certain limits. There are several guilds that do RP Crash-Courses for people who are learning, or who wants to brush up. Mine is one of them.

7. Bryelle Vaughn

Bryelle Vaughn Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Welcome to Atl... Vaen is right, we speak pretty much normal english. And there are a ton of guilds that enjoy the more relxed players. I do crafting a lot as well, and typically stay on that character. If you look at the ARPC boards there is a whole slew of them who accept people like us :)

8. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I've never RPed, but I know some folks in the Atlantic RP community. Typically, the only noticeable difference between their speech and common speech is: (a) they speak in full sentences and (b) they emote with words. E.g.,

Normal:
    Hey, sup ppl!

RP:
    Greetings, all!

Normal:
    omglmfaobbq

RP:
    *laughs*

9. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Absolutely. There is no need to use ol' english to speak. I have one character who talks with a heavy accent...

"I donnae' know w'at ye are talkin' 'bout, but I'm goin' t'floss wit' yer goddamn soul if'n ye donnae' shut yer lips."

.. and others who speak absolutely normal...

"Shut it before I do it for you."

*hangs her head* I have really mean characters.

10. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

My characters are angels.

:lie:

11. BlackFrancis

BlackFrancis Guest

i can't pass up something, so bear with / ignore me.

none of y'all are speaking Old English :) at the most it is Modern English with late middle to modern words and phrases thrown in.

12. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I agree. The way my character speaks are mainly reflective of an "accent" since it is all typed language with no sound, but I think what they are referring to as "Old English" is using all the thee's, thou's, ye, m'lord etc.
    For the purposes of UO, that is what the player reference generally refers to.

If I spoke as in something similar to true Old English, something akin to perhaps Beowulf, almost none would understand a lick of what I was saying. *grins*