1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi Baja!

Discussion in 'UO Baja' started by Naisikras, May 8, 2010.

1. Naisikras

Naisikras Guest

Hey guys!

A few times a year I'll swing by stratics to check on UO and see what the latest gossip is on a classic shard. And, my heart just about stopped when I saw on U-Hall a post by an admin of some type about polling for a classic shard.

What's going on with that?

I have about 20 good online friends that would reactivate in a second if this is true. Drop wow, drop war, drop life... lol. But, I want to find out more before I go giving all of them heard attacks.

What's the latest?
  2. Brytt

Brytt Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Mar 16, 2004
    When I called EA Customer Service the rep said that he was excited because there was a lot of buzz around the office about it.

At this point, that's all I know of it. There is buzz.
  3. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Oct 9, 2008
    The Developers have expressed interest in creating a Classic Shard. I don't want to rehash three months worth of heated debate; but the major considerations right now are what would constitute a Classic Shard (Pre-T2A? Pre-Renaissance? Pre-Pub16?)? How much post-Classic Content (Monsters, Art, etc.) should be implemented? How the shard will impact (positively or negatively) Siege Perilous? And whether it will truly draw old players back to Ultima Online?

I think the developers acknowledge that a Classic Shard would be good for Ultima Online. I tend to agree.

Why most current players are so leery of the idea is that most folks want manpower focused on their respective playstyles and interests; and see a Classic Shard as a risky idea that would draw more developer time away from the Production Shards. Because they don't have the code tucked away somewhere; the developers are going to have to manually remove all the new content and rebuild some of the old systems to return it to a Pre-Trammel State.
  4. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

Dec 17, 2006
    Someone has the code tucked away somewhere. *Grins* Its like Walt Disney frozen head in the basement
  5. Xelious Norwood

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Feb 28, 2004
    could also be potentially the downfall of certain shards as well.
    It really does boil down to what they consider CLASSIC.