1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hope for the newbie

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by brundlefly, Jul 2, 2008.

1. brundlefly

brundlefly Guest

I was hoping someone could give me some tips on weapons and armor .
    I have a legendary tailor/smith with very few recipes. I do not have millions in gold. I want to make some things for a new PvM char I'm going to create
    but Im not sure which ones to buy.
    I hope to someday make a perfect weapon for PvM .Is there such a thing? THANKS

2. Eslake

Eslake Guest

The perfect PvM weapon.. you'll get 5000 answers on that. There are too many factors to determining what is best. (high str, or high dex, or both, weapon type, character has chiv or not, and so on.)

For starting armor, that's easy. Most creatures you will train on do 100% physical (or 80% or more) so just bang out a few pieces in dull copper to get 70% resist in physical, then add whatever else looks good. Personally I like the asian armors in dull.

Of course if you're going to be stealthing, you're restricted to leather (not even studded until you get higher skill).
    And if you're going to be using the combat magics, you want any metal armors you make to have Mage Armor property (some always have it even without runics, I don't have the list in front of me tho).

3. Solikos

Solikos Guest

I've heard and personally follow the advice that Tailored armor is better, specifically leather armor. Leather is lighter weight and medable, which is useful for any template. If you can make an all 70's suit in leather you are set.

As for weapon, that is much more complicated and depends on your characters template, str, dex, etc. There are some good damage calculators around that you might want to check out, but don't only base your choices off of DPS, also look for what special abilities will suit you best. Some of the best weapons are artifacts.

Once you have determined what template and play style you would probably enjoy, you might want to make a post here about which weapons are 'ideal' for the specific build. It's pretty general though, and from what I've seen, any weapon skill can get the job done with any template.

Best of luck.

~ Solikos

4. brundlefly

brundlefly Guest

Hi, Thanks for responding. I was wondering if there is a list of items that players have created showing there best work. My problem is I cant tell which stuff I made (and I mean A LOT of stuff) is good or bad. It all looks great with my name on it :) .
    I understand what it comes down to... the best weapon is usually the one in your hand ;) but i was hoping for some examples from other players.
    What can I expect to or hope to acheive??
    I made some things that seem better than artys but, I see players mostly wearing artys.(BTW I dont have any yet)
    I am a bit confused.

5. Eslake

Eslake Guest

True, leathers are better if you use any form of magic (which most do). But he said he had a smith, and dull plate is the highest baseline physical resistance.

If you have a tailor/know a tailor. Spined leather will get you there pretty quick, you just might have to toss a few low physical pieces into the salvage bag (*you do have a salvage bag right?*)

As to what to keep.. that's hard to say.
    Personally I keep anything with more than 60 total resists. But I'm a little picky. Check the playguide and get familiar with the maximums on properties.
    +2 mana regen, +2 health regen, that sort of thing.
    That will give you some idea of how good something can be.

Keep what you can use, and save anything better than you would need. ;) Eventually you will need it or sell it.

6. Desolation87

Desolation87 Guest

My advice - Just to start getting gold, make a swordsman and ask friends/guildies for a soulseeker. Most players will have a few at their house.

Head for despise, the soulseeker will make you unstoppable!!

And the best bit is, even if you can't find someone to give you one, you could usually pick one up for 100k. I would say the soulseeker is THE perfect beginners weapon.

Then with your unstoppable swordsman that has tonnes of gold looted from ettins and orges, buy horned kits. These are cheap and some of the armour you can get from them are incredible. One guy I know made some sleeves with 93 resists on!! One horned kit will give you 45 charges, sell each peice for say 30k (most will sell at that low low price, some that you know are good; say with 70+ resists and mr2 try putting at a higher price. If at first they don't sell then reduce the price ;) ). If you then sold all of them you will make 1.35mill minus the 200k for the horned kit and 100k for soulseeker. Then your left with 1.05mill. Of course not all of the peices will sell. This is a good way to determine whats good/wanted and whats not good/ not wanted.

7. brundlefly

brundlefly Guest

Ok , I went onto the Test shard (I was only there once before) and realized you could do many things instantly. I feel foolish that after playing for 12 months I havent looked at that :( Thanks to all of you for the help.
    Now I have even more questions :)
    -Does the Test shard test the current client or upcoming changes?
    -I used a barbed kit and burned thru 3000 hides. I was not impressed with the results. Is there some kind of algorithm to it? I used a spined kit until I made a very poor item, then switched to barbed thinking my odds of something good increased.(I guess I'll call that my bouncing ball algorithm) Should I have crossed my fingers AND toes? :)
    -I wanted to post pictures of my best stuff to compare to others. Is that something I should do in another thread ? I dont want to clutter up the boards. I ve never done this before and dont know how to take photos in game. Anything like that exist?
    -- I maxed out all skill s related to crafting. The only thing I didnt have was a tailisman. Dont think that matters with stuff I was making.

8. FarukAlazar

FarukAlazar Guest

Did you set your tailor to 120, and your armslore to 100? Thats how you make the good stuff on test.

9. Solikos

Solikos Guest

Make sure your character has 100 Armslore & 120 Tailor/Blacksmith - that will improve the quality of the armor/weapons you create.

Test uses upcoming publications... Typically when you log on to TC1 it will tell you which they are currently testing.