1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How about paying for 720 skill cap?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by mikni, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

What do you think about an option to buy a code from EA that would raise the skill cap on accounts, younger than four years, to 720?
    I have an account that are at 710 and I for one would gladly pay a couple of dollars to raise it. Sure it would be great if it were raised all over for free, but I don't think that's going to happen.

DJAd, Eaerendil, Lord Frodo and 2 others like this.
  2. Shakkara

Shakkara Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I think they need to revise this skill cap system. It is unrealistic to demand of players to wait 4 years before they can have a full character. If I wanted real-time constraints on character development, I'd play EVE Online.

Half a year ago, I opened a second account and started skilling up a mystic/thrower. Then I realized I didn't have the 720 skill cap, and cancelled the account. I'd reopen it if the skill cap limitation was removed.

3. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I'd be for it. My main account is 16 months old, and my second one is now 5 months old.
    It will be a really long time under the current system until I get the 720 cap, so I'd be for paying for a code that unlocks it.

Eaerendil and ShadowTrauma like this.
  4. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Just make every account get the 20 skill points when they receive the +5 stats for being 6 months old.

Quickblade, DJAd, Tjalle and 6 others like this.
  5. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I like the idea. Revenue for a valuable commodity. Win-win, for those willing to pay it, and it wouldn't even need to be tied to account age (to protect vet reward value).

Samaira and ShadowTrauma like this.
  6. Mandrake of DF

Mandrake of DF Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Fair enough would I say, as long as the 7th slot char ....

Among many suggestions, i like this... or make it a 1st year vet reward!!!

7. ShadowTrauma

ShadowTrauma Seasoned Veteran

This was always something that bothered me. I am a fan of having as equal a playing field as possible and having to tell potential new players that they need to wait 4 years to have the same skill options seemed like a tough pill to swallow. I think Syrus summed it up best, but I certainly like Covenant's idea as well.

CovenantX and Syrus like this.
  8. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I weren't thinking about vet rewards. But yeah, only raise skill cap, not account age.

9. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Vets have many rewards.

Times have changed... *sighs*

When the 5 points a year bonus was implemented the game was so much more simple.

Do ya think dropping the 4 year requirement for 720 would attract new players, bring back old ones or encourage current players to pay for new accounts?

#9 kelmo, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  10. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Flip it around: Does it discourage new players when they realize that having a full account will take 4 years?

CovenantX, Lord Frodo, Gorbs and 5 others like this.
  11. ShadowTrauma

From the sound of things, yes to many of the questions you presented. I certainly can't see the harm in having a more even play experience for newer players, there are still so many hoops they have to jump thru to "catch up".

#11 ShadowTrauma, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    CovenantX likes this.
  12. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie

Well, it will surely make some things sound less silly. This was me this Saturday:

"Aha! I have finished my necro/myst/mage and suited her up with jewels to bring magery to 115 and mysticism to 120. Now I only have to wait... four years to raise eval int to 120 and then I will be OMNIPOTENT!" *cue to Monkey Island Murray evil laugh*

So yeah, letting new players/accounts buying a token that would raise their cap to 720 would be nice...

13. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

15 some odd years ago... I do not suppose this was a consideration. Who back then even predicted the longevity of this particular MMO? Well we are still here. I have been on this ride for 12 some odd years. Heh. I keep paying the ticket price for this merry-go-round... I certainly do enjoy it.

If any wonder if I would be upset if the powers that be just suddenly gave every player the full monte of 720 skill base, no. I would not. (Cap is debatable, some templates have way more skills with equipment)

I am in no way diminished by other players being better.

14. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie

Well, if anything, I don't think it should be given freely.
    I am more for that if one wants the 720 freely, he should pay and play for 4 years. If one wants to speed up the process, one would buy a token to raise the cap.

15. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

What new players really need is a good new player experience. After they do the bug publish and finish the EC graphics, that should be a big focus. We can talk about what would help or discourage new players but first they need to work on getting them up and running and sticking around.

Schatzi and ShadowTrauma like this.
  16. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I'm for everyone being 720 that doesn't bother me..but add +1 vet rewards to all accounts over 4 years to compensate seeing as many of us did have to wait..seems semi fair..I remember being on foot with no mount while people flew around on ethys that is no longer an issue..but the 720 is just compensate every player not just young

17. Njjj

Njjj Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I would vote for just giving it to everyone. Us vets have plenty of perks these days. Seems like a petty thing to charge money for, but maybe that's just me.

18. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

With all the commotion around the +5 stat scrolls, I would say that this is the best option. JMHO.

CovenantX likes this.
  19. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

A quest in the new/revitalized new player experience could be made, with the reward being the 720 skill cap. 1 stone, 2 birds kind of thing.

20. I remember when my subscription used to pay for my game...

21. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Still does. And vet rewards, including skill caps, are still available to vets.

But this thread is about changing the "I remember" to "now, for the sake of new players, we should."

Lord Frodo, BeaIank and ShadowTrauma like this.
  22. Joey Porter

Joey Porter Guest

I would buy this in a second.

I had an account from a few months after launch until 2001 and when I came back could not reactivate it.

New account is limited to a lower overall skill cap and I would buy this in a second. Was pretty pissed when I realized the disadvantage I had.

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  23. ShadowTrauma

Definately an intriguing idea to consider.

I am actually quite pleased that everyone that has posted so far has been more than generous in favoring some sort of change. Possibly a future "Ask and Answer" question, thanks for bringing this up Mikni.

#23 ShadowTrauma, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  24. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Nope, I think this is a terrible idea spawned entirely through submission to a pay2win model. You shouldn't have to pay a fee on top of buying the game and paying the account's subscription to start on a level playing field with veterans. Everyone should uniformly have their cap raised to 720 and that's the end of it. Giving veterans skill/stat advantages was always a bad and imbalanced concept that was ill thought out. There's enough of a gap as it is without having characters fundamentally gimped.

#24 Spiritless, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    Lord Frodo and ShadowTrauma like this.
  25. ShadowTrauma

Im actually on your side Spiritless, but I will settle for almost any implementation that levels the playing field for new accounts. I hope for a situation like you do... I just suspect a pay option will be the chosen method if it is even deemed worth considering at this time. Thats why I also really enjoyed LordDrago's suggestion.

26. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

14+ year vet, and I say just raise the cap for everyone. It was a mistake to put it in the game in the first place.

27. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have no problem with allowing everyone to get to 720 skill cap, if you PvM, what do you care, if you PvP , you just might have an additional person or two on a fairly desolate field, why not?

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  28. Skill caps, attribute caps, anything like that should never be a reward for veteran status or available for purchase in addition to subscription fees. This is the problem with the whole "pay to win" scenario. I'm personally not even a fan of in-game rewards that increase these. The caps should be set from the beginning or adjusted, but never exceeded, during the course of your game time.

29. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Sure. It would be nice if we all started at 720, but we don't. And if that's not going to change, I would like the option to pay for it. For people not willing to pay anything extra you can still wait four years if you want.
    My main account is far past the requirements to get 720 skills, but my second isn't. If I could pay to get it raised I would and I would also pay monthly for it. Something that's not very likely now.

ShadowTrauma and Syrus like this.
  30. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I agree everyone should be 720. I have several accounts, one of which is at a 715 cap. I admit I only use that account to hold a house. I will develop chars on it once it hits 48 months.

31. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot

I dont see any reason at all that 15 years later we cant at least level the playing field for skills and give everyone 720 points for free. I dont think it was a very well thought out or good idea in the first place so lets fix it now. Better late then never IMO.

However, I still firmly believe that whatever vet rewards the devs feel like giving us should continue to be scaled assuming they stay on course and do not imbalance pvp.