1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get pop out of your keyboard?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Chardonnay, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

2. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I've heard that alcohol will help but I drank a ton and the keyboard just got worse.

3. Podolak

Podolak Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

4. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

I'm too poor for a dishwasher...kelmo can i send you my keyboard? But you gotta promise to send it back...;)

5. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Bathtub.

If it's a basic board, cracking the case will reveal the trace sheet and anywhere from 2-8 wires (depending on # of LED's, etc)

Memorize/label the placement of the trace sheet (important, the same spots need to be in the same places so your keys are hitting the right traces) and the wires running to the LED's. If you can find a solder iron (cheap in hardware/hobby stores) desolder the wires, otherwise butcher them by cutting them and twisting/sealing later.

Take out the trace sheet and wipe it down. It may be held down by screws or even adhesive. The important part is don't tear it. Try not to bend it too much, but some isn't going to hurt it. Tearing, however, is bad.

Take the upper half, with the keys and whatnot and toss it in hot water. Soap isn't necessary, unless it's wicked funky, in which case you should use isopropyl alcohol, some qtips, and a small can of compressed air.

Dry everything, THOROUGHLY! Again, compressed air is your friend. A day in the sun on the back deck won't hurt. Reassemble your boards.

The main thing to remember is to not apply power to the boards until they are dry. You can get most electronics wet all day long, as long as you don't apply power to them while they are wet, at which point they short out. Once dry, the possibility of a short is gone.

Have fun, and btw, I don't recommend this with a GwhateverbacklitLCDscreen gizmo or anything more fancy than a standard board. I've never taken one apart, but I assume some of the wiring and PCB placement may be more than a n00b can handle.

6. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Umm. Wow, too much work. $10 at newegg.

7. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

OH! That was my problem. I was using Jack Daniels.

8. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

A Hot Tub Time Machine.

9. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Um, wow, ten minute cakewalk, actually. Free, no fuel cost to the B&M, or exorbitant internet delivery charges. Doing one more little bit to save the environment (another pound of plastic in the landfill when you toss that old keyboard) and the satisfaction of knowing you did something somewhat more productive that day than veg out in an office chair playing UO and surfing youtube.

10. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Thats not productive? So much of my life wasted....

11. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What is POP?

12. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Barter Town

[​IMG]

A backwards way of saying soda. Although, calling all of them "coke" is even worse.

:fight:

13. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

i dont remember taking that survey, but yeah there right my county agrees with me its called pop, but i have been catching myself saying soda latley....

wow this thread just got way more awesome