1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do you smelt while mining?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by jaashua, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jaashua

jaashua Guest

So ingots are getting pretty rare on my server, so I'm going to take up mining and make some profit and also gather my own colored ingots.

How do you efficiently smelt the ore? Do people still drag and drop their ore as they mine it?

2. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I let my pack fill up until I've either finished the vein or I can't hold any more. Then I smelt it on my fire beetle and toss it into the packy.

3. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you are running EC I smelt mine as i dig and can show you macro for this

4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

for the OP:
    If you're on a legal shard (which have all expansions through Mondain's legacy available to all users), the fastest way by far is to have a tamer tame you a Fire Beetle in Tokuno's Yomotsu Mines dungeon, then transfer it to you. Once it has bonded to you, you can smelt off it while it's alive.
    I Typically go out with tools totaling about 1000-1200 total uses, smelt whenever I reach weight (or between stops), and can carry all my ingots back home after the tools run out, without any stops to unload at home. If you bring along a pack animal or use a bag of sending, you can probably mine all day without ever having to unload at home until you need to log out or get more tools (and if you are a tinker, you can make normal shovels from your iron as you go).

On illegal freeshards with rulesets predating the Samurai Empire expansion, you're stuck doing drag & drop, or hauling ore back 133 at a time in pack animals.

5. Percivalgoh

Stratics Veteran

I bring along small ore and change all the large ore into small ore and use a blue beetle. Once full I go home to smelt and leave the ingots. If I want to be more efficient I take 2 packies and the blue beetle and load them up but personally I prefer to take a break from mining after filling up one packie or blue beetle and recalling home does that

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

I should clarify this is with orange beatle and i just hit dig macro and it smelt for me after each dig and mines spot dry move to next spot hit mine macro etc

this is especially good for high end ore that you have fail chance

7. Hardy

Hardy Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Hey Storm, I would be interested in seeing this macro.

8. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I have a uoa macro which runs:
    use item type (= shovel)
    target relative location
    pause 8000
    use item type (= shovel)
    target relative location
    pause 8000
    use item type (= shovel)
    target relative location
    pause 8000
    use item type (= shovel)
    target relative location
    pause 8000
    use item (large ore)
    target (fire beetle)
    pause 8000

Repeat the whole set 3 times, giving 16 digs per macro run, smelting as you go and never getting overweight. periodically I smelt smaller ores between macro runs.

9. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

the macro is as follows

target by resource (set to use shovel or ax) : Delay 1 second : target by resource (set to use shovel or ax) : Delay 1 second target by resource (set to use shovel or ax) : Delay 1 second : then drop each ore type into bar and set each to target beetle
    then set to do x10
    I have a couple of these set for shovels and axs so i dont have to drop in different shovel type

10. Hardy

Hardy Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Great, thanks Storm!

I'll get this setup, sounds awesome!