1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do you train parry? Is it bugged?

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by shootgun, Apr 16, 2015.

1. shootgun

shootgun Visitor

Hi,

I read few articles online. They either suggest using sheeps or renting fighters from Jhelom.

I tried both. I get the sheeps or fighters. Then I get them to attack me using "all attack". I heal occasionally when needed. They have been hitting me more than 30 minutes without a single gain...

My skills are:
    Parry 83
    Bushido 0

Thanks for your help.

2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Don't you have to hold a weapon?

3. Fridgster

Fridgster Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

weapon and a shield. bring lots and lots of shields. No DCI.... did I mention lots of shields?

4. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

What is your weapon skill?
    If it is swords, equip a two handed mace or fencing weapon. If it is fencing, equip a two handed mace or swords weapon. If it is macing, equip a two handed swords or fencing weapon.

Hit Haven, get 9 mobs between zombies and skeletons onto you and just sit and enjoy. You will be done in about 3 hours, faster if you got alacrity scrolls.

CorwinXX likes this.
  5. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

I haven't done it in forever so don't know if there's any new/better methods, but I used to craft a ton of Shadow Bucklers, and use disarmed female Jhelom pit fighters. I don't recall having to be armed as well as the shield.

6. CorwinXX

CorwinXX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Don't use shields if you want to gain parry.

I used the same technique as Bealank except I prefer train on sheep (9 sheep in Yew).

7. shootgun

shootgun Visitor

Hi,

originally, i did not have a weapon in my hand. Then I went out and bought a long sword from the blacksmith.
    Still no gain after 15 minutes.

One thing that caught my attention is that, in 2d client it shows that my skills are 622.9. On 3d client it shows my skills are 622.3.
    I dont know if this is a problem but I could not figure it out.

I checked at least 10 times and made sure parry is set to UP. I also made sure I do not have any DCI.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks again.

8. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Which is your highest weapon skill?
    If it is swords, you shouldn't be wielding a sword.
    Also, drop the shield and get a two handed weapon of a weapon skill you don't have. You WANT to get hit to train parry.

And check if you didn't lock or set the parry skill to decrease.

9. shootgun

shootgun Visitor

Duhh, My apologies.

I misread the previous entry from Bealank and equipped sword while having sword skill. When I changed to fencing weapon it started working.
    Thanks.

10. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

I agree Sheep are the way to go. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

My method is a couple dc suits.. A couple because you have to leave less to repair. Just need 70 phy .. I also powder em to 255/255.. And a self repair 5 shield. If im working mace i equip a dagger.. Fencing a katana .. Etc..

Pop on alot of hpr .. Brace of health etc... (no healing required) And lure cows and sheep.. And add in some bulls later.

No dci.. Because you wanna use your parry.. And also the reason you equip a weapon you have zero skill in.

BUY up to 40 in haven and get to 120 less then a day... Hell even a quarter day.

12. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

Yup, never took more than 4 hrs to 120 that I recall.

13. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

So this is slightly off from the question at hand but who else used to work a weapon skill, Parry, and Healing at the same time by fighting Blade Spirits back in the day?

Lord Taliesin and Bannon like this.
  14. Bannon

Bannon Visitor

I remember discovering that while getting pkd one time way back.
    Had a mage friend cast spirits for maby an hour and was gm parry. Or even further back and trying to be the one that tanked the bone Knights on the wall.

15. Tuan

Tuan Slightly Crazed

I definitely did that... Or back when resist spells was basically like armor for reducing spell damage, so you'd cast a bunch of fire fields and run back and forth. I also remember trapping an ettin or something in my friend's house so we could spar it to gain skills.

Bannon likes this.
  16. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I GM'ed resist spells of Blade Spirits (there was a time it raised Magic Resist and not parry)

17. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

Firefields then reapers with a healer.. So much quicker now heh

18. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

OK so I used the two handed weapon method last night to get my parry to 120 very quickly on my sampire. He has swords skill so I used a mace weapon and it worked great.

I'm trying now to train it up to 120 with another character that has NO weapon skill at all. I'm holding a two handed weapon and not getting any gains. Any ideas?

19. Tuan

Tuan Slightly Crazed

Have you tried to buy some weaponskill just to get it going? If you buy 35 weaponskill you won't have to worry about being capped till parry is 85, then see what happens as you set the skill to decay.

DJAd likes this.
  20. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks man I'll try and buy some skill at haven. I'm actually at GM parry already but just wanted to bump it to 120.

21. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

The only reason to equip a weapon skill you don't have is to make sure you have no skill.

Try using just a shield and no weapon. Or a spell book.. Or a fishing pole with shield.

DJAd likes this.