1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How old is UO?

Discussion in 'UO Spiels N Rants' started by Vyal, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Vyal

Vyal Guest

And yet still can't get a simple issue such as a blue attacking a reds pet and not flagging the person the pets bonded to.

Example a blue attacks a reds pet brings it into a guard zone and the pets owner can't do a thing or gets guard wacked.

Yes the UO programmers do BLOW I mean I can't freaking understand how they even call themselves programmers. OPEN YOUR EYES KIDS READ THE CODE ITS ONLY WHAT 12 YEARS OLD?!

I think that issue may be the straw that broke the horses back. I would bleed to get hired onto this game if only for a week to fix all the ******** bugs.

2. DarkVoid

DarkVoid Guest

Your red character may be getting guard whacked because of issues not related to his pet being attacked. Remember that red players in town zones are freely attackable by blues, and that this logic extends to the pets they own.

Also please note that if your red is not in a guild he cannot see the true status of his pet, as there are guild flags that do apply to pets which are not seen unless you are in a guild, red or blue. While this mostly applies to newly tamed pets you have recently acquired, this may also be the case if your pet has gone and done something the game considers to be criminal/aggressive and flags you/your pet appropriately.

A more detailed explanation of exactly what the circumstances were would be needed for someone to make an accurate assessment. Were you just recently attacking any other player or monster?

3. Reximus

Reximus Guest

How do you know it's not as the devs have intended it to be?

4. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Personally I am waiting for the day to come when I can ask you...

can I have your stuff?

5. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

You do realise that the code being 12 years old is exactly what makes it so difficult to fix these things?

6. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I think you've misunderstood his post.

7. Alezi

Alezi Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think the real issue here is that the OP plays a tamer and is complaining about it.

8. RedDaTeef

RedDaTeef Guest

Not only plays a tamer, but a red pvp type tamer and complains...:lol:

9. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Ummm ... 12+ years old code is a pain .... but the total of UO-codes is not only 12 years old ... it is also 11, 10,9,8 and more years old. Every year brought changes and additions to this code. Not to mention that program developping changed a lot over those years. Would surely be funny to hear some numbers of how many lines of code you want to read through over in a single week.

One of those very annoying examples is ship movement. There is a reason, why it hasnt been touched. There are enough statements, that ppl/developers would like to change the way, how ships move thorugh the seas ingame. I suppose the flagging system to be one of the older parts of the code.

But there is a really simple solution to your problem .... dont use pets in a pvp environment.

Mount it? Call it back to you? Recall away? Dont fight near guard zones with your pet?

10. [LGND]

[LGND] Guest

If anyone wanted to know the actual situation, here it is.

Vyal was running around with his fun nightmare and rune beetle. I decided to simply kill the rune beetle, So I flagged it, 2 screens away from the nearest GZ. He attacked right after that, but didn't get a single hit in before the beetle died. Right after the beetle died, he ran off, probably hoping to time out and get it rezzed, no such luck. He was dead within 30 seconds.

And for the record, Vyal doesn't play a tamer. He plays a archer who just happens to have animal taming and lore. =]
    You should see his other archer, on the same shard. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as ineffective with pixies and dismounting. =[

11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

12. Reximus

Reximus Guest

in pre-aos, when there was no bonded pets, you could open a gate and stand behind it and a pet would go in the gate, then dispel the gate, and your pet would be gone forever, now all you have to worry about is people attacking your pet which you can simply res, doesn't seem like an issue.

13. ZippyTwitch

ZippyTwitch Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Um if he has taming he is a tamer.

14. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Guest

If you had even a faint clue about programming, you'd understand that the age of the code is exactly why it is so hard to fix problems. ;) That and the sheer number of hands that have touched said code over the aforementioned 12 years.