1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How to get more players onto this server.

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Calyip, May 5, 2009.

1. Calyip

Calyip Guest

For starters? Shut down these forums. I came back about a year ago and have been playing with old friends on LS when I am not playing Darkfall. I began playing Ultima Online in October 1997, and let me just say: I have never seen a shard with more whiny, ego maniacal, cry babies in my entire time while playing this game. It is totally absurd. I had heard the PvP here was fun, and that while the fights were few and far between sometimes, the ones that came about were good. I fear I will never actually get to see any of these fights. Every thread I look in goes like this:

Draxous - Talking about how to fix Siege with his ideas, while simultaneously screaming that all other ideas are horrible, and his are pure genius.

Moonglow Merchant/Elmer Fudd - Instigating fights with snide comments of superiority.

Sweeny - CONSTANTLY crying about how our EM never shows up, when Sweeny publicly dissed him in the first place for placing NEW books.

Kage/Kal/Forsaken - Sticking together while constantly talking trash. In essence, forum-gang-banging a member, like they did Cash.

Kelmo - He's the biggest problem on these forums, and why? Because he doesn't punish others for mouthing off and never shutting their mouths when they need to be shut.

This forum has single-handedly made me decide to go back to my group on LS, which is sad, because I enjoy the rule set here, the full loot, the Fel ruleset, and the smaller community.

In the future, try working together, because while this shard may be considered the "Vet" shard, I totally understand why Speedy offered to give me his items and move back to Chessy, because this server is childish.

2. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Calyip I'm pretty sure you are Krunk Playa. What are your plans on TK's items?

3. Calyip

Calyip Guest

...I am not Krunk Playa. I am Calyipsis. You have probably seen me running around Luna or Homare gate training archery and swords. When I came over here I was given a plethora of items, on the condition I tried to help the SP community. As much as I dislike faction items(on this shard) I am not that low.

4. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yay for gang bangs!!! :danceb: :danceb:

5. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Ah ok well good riddance. Maybe you can find a care bear forum that suits you in trammy land.

6. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Someone got killed in game and cant take it lol. If you got a problem with the forums, then dont visit them lol. Your reasoning of leaving the shard because of the forums is border line tardith.

7. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I agree with alot of your post, but one of the biggest things I love about Siege is the lack of kids. You will remember this after your first trip to the Luna bank or Yew gate on Chessy...

Siege has the lowest amount of in game trash talking in UO.

8. HaHa

HaHa Guest

[YOUTUBE]71bnkMlZvJY&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

9. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Can I have your stuff?...la

10. archite666

archite666 Guest

Ah HaHa will attest I don't mind being in a 3on1 but thanks for sticking up for me.

I hope you will decide to stay, sadly board pvp has always been a major element to Siege, it was't always on this forum but its existed.

I would instead choose to stay away from these boards and maybe bring your friends over here, you can't influence others but if you have a group who you enjoy playing with then other people really can't bring you down.

11. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Cash, could you respond to the PM's?

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I don't care who ya are that was funny; HaHa you owe me a new keyboard!

13. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This forum is one of the most read most active Stratics forums out there.

There must be something keeping folks here posting and reading.. maybe it IS their drama ?

I mean some few here can not let go of crap that someone did or said to themselves or someone they liked that they did not like being said or done, that is 4 + yrs. old and they have to bring it up time and time again or they can not let go of their anger or hate or dislike nor ever forgive nor forget or rinse repeat Some few have to point that finger of blame :loser: AT every one else cuz of course we all know they are without sin, and enlightened better human beings than the rest of us are. :) :coco:;)

Lots of he saids she said/ they said/ they did/ she did/ he did but WE never would DO that........etc. So yeh some of it is downright unforgivingly childish of some few, at times.

Then again though, maybe I am insane too, I find some of em highly entertaining reading. It is like watching button pushers...and the pusher knows precisely how to push the other person's buttons to make em upset, and then in turn the other one LETS their buttons get pushed ....they push back.............BOARD PVP ensues ! But forgive me I was a psychology major in college so maybe I just find Siege and this forum here..*fertile ground* for further studies. :)

I think of everyone here like one mega amusing disfunctional family...also a shard full of strong willed people, creating it's own weird wonderous collage of ego manical entertaining peeps posting and playing on Siege.

I mean if there is NOT some pithing contest going on, somewhere, then I wonder where the heck they are, or if they are sick or something ~! :)

For those very things that oft turn some people OFF about this forum and those whom play Siege, all unalike many of em, it is also that same peculiar stuff within many of em, all that also keeps people reading here and playing here.

Dunno go figure. Call me crazy I feel even them here whom can not stand me being here even, are oft highly amusing, or mildly...entertaining. :D

All the world is a stage and the people here are all players actors and equals for that same EA UO fee we all pay per mo., hoggin that Siege same stage simultaneously. :)

Take a break from reading the forum here, no need to exit the shard, ya can just ignore it all too ya know, and play this game how and where you want to play it for your UO EA dollars per month and to hell with every one else's bs . :)

14. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

word of the day. :danceb:

15. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Tip's hat to QZ...
    Like QZ said, take a break from the forums. Siege
    and these forums are not one in the same. You can
    have a much better time playing the game if
    you didn't know how insane most of us really are. ;)

The forums can bring me down too sometimes and I'll
    stop posting and let everyone have at it for a while
    without saying anything. Sometimes I go to the other
    UO forums for a breath of fresh air or to see how utterly
    ******** it can be outside here. Some are a little more
    sophisticated while some are like our "No Holds Barred"
    forums here and like it says No Holds Barred and the do do
    flys big time. TY Kelmo ;).
    I have learned that byfar we have a good tight very
    disfuntional family here that I wouldn't trade for a 100 mil gold...
    SO just play the game and leave the forums to buying and selling
    and you'll get along just fine. If you can get a few friends to play
    with you it makes a big differance too, esp if you enjoy the rule set.

16. Calyip

Calyip Guest

And to set the record straight: I don't think Drax ideas are bad, I think his ideas of loot would be a HUGE step in making SP more inhabitable. I just think simply because others don't agree with your ideas, doesn't mean one should only focus on their ideas.

17. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Hi Calyip.

Most of what you said is true. But remember a few things. At best you've named 8 or so people who you believe act childish on these boards - 8 out of th e entire population of Siege isn't that bad. Think how many good people do post thoughtful things here. I can almost guarantee you that there are probably more than 8 childish people on Chessy.

Another big difference, and one of the reasons I love Siege. If for any reason you were to run into anyone acting childish to you in game on a prodo shard, your SOL, you can't do anything about it. You can leave the area, you can turn on the ignore feature, if it's really bad you can page a GM and wait 2 hours. Just think of the EM events on other Servers where people would run up to the EM speaking and spam so nobody could read what the EM was saying.

On Siege, if you run into one of these childish people, you can gank em. No way in hell would anyone act as childish in game on Siege as they do on other shards because they know they'd be taking a dirt nap very shortly.

18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Aww man...

19. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Don't worry Kelmo, if it counts for anything, I find you amusing :)

Anyways, as at least a few people here have said, you don't like the forums because of all the whining and complaining going on, why are you here whining and complaining about it? Everyone will have different opinions about anything and everything that goes on and from my short experience, nobody's about to join hands and sing Kumbaya. You're going to have to either learn to live with it or go somewhere else, if even only for a little while. C'est la vie.

20. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Amusing? *thinks* I can live with that...

21. SavageSP

SavageSP Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

This Forum is what attracted me to Siege, and I'm sure many others as well.

The Board Warriors are sometimes entertaining, sometimes annoying.

Everyone has a chance to discuss and voice our gripes.

You can come here and ask a question or ask for help and get a response in less then 20 Minutes most days. what other shard can say that?

You can buy and sell off this board.

It's a "all in one" Shard Forum that's pretty active especially if you compare our Shard #'s to the others.

It's a dis-functional board with a dis-functional community and I like this Island of Misfit Toys AKA Siege.

22. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

If that's all you can say about me, :thumbsup::thumbsup:! LOL. I don't need anyone sticking by my side to talk ****, it's so fun and easy, I can do that all by my lonesome! *flex*

As for Speedy saying this server is childish, and implying that's the reason he left, BS. Every shard is "childish", prodo shards have more of them, due to greater population. Siege Perilous is a small, tight-knit community, hence the insane activity on these boards.

Just because you don't see the BS on other server forums, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's called guild forums, other public forums and just an example, go check out HOT - Atlantic forums. That's a huge laugh right there.

But hey man, nice rant, I hope I gang-bang you off our server to be honest. :loser: Everyone else, I just love messing with, they know it, I know it, why don't you?

23. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*smiles* I know it!

24. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Sorry bout that, I ordered this one for you. I hope this will do...

[​IMG]

25. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I could plug and play with that all night:).

26. Calibretto

Calibretto Guest

I tend to agree here. Some of the people on prodo shards not to mention test center are, how shall we say it? Questionable.

27. Nurse Miss Maude

Nurse Miss Maude Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

i know i don't play "here" any longer, but i still lurk. From time to time something comes up i just feel the need to respond to.....this is one of those times.

Do you not realize the people that play this shard are the most competitive that play this game? Start looking at it like that, it may help in how you view the members of this community.
    And uh, isn't this entire post rather whiny? i mean come on, you are complaining on how others behave and are trying to change that.

Pot calling the kettle black, hun. Again, you are single-handedly trying to change the behavior of others to what YOU think is right and correct. By this topic you are in essence doing exactly what you complain about Draxous doing.
    You are instigating fights with your comments of LS and how this shard should be, maybe that's what you want i don't know. BUT get used to it, snide comments on these boards and in game is what keeps the duels going.
    Is that crying i hear from you because you haven't made friends here? This shard is tougher, alliances and friends is what it's all about. Good for who ever sticks together. Seems you are sticking with Cash, hhhhm am i the only one that notices this. If you don't like people sticking together and bad mouthing others, then uh, keep your mouth shut and let Cash speak for himself. If not......again, pot calling the kettle black.
    Would you like for Kelmo to delete your post? i doubt you would, since you think you are far more superior and siege would be a better place if things were as YOU want.
    Again, the board pvp keeps the game pvp going. If there were no trash talking do you think people would want to go out and pvp? Nah Kelmo nips it when it needs to be nipped, otherwise he's like a basketball ref........no blood no foul.

Now all that just seems like whining and crying to me. What are you looking for people to say..........ooooooooooh please don't go? You won't get that here. Siege will go on whether you play here or not. Put on your big girl or boy panties and get out and play the game. You are throwing gas on the board pvp while crying you want it to stop.
    If you stay......stay. If you go........why make such a fuss about it?

28. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Hello Nurse!
    [​IMG]

29. Nurse Miss Maude

Stratics Veteran

hello, hehe cute picture!!

30. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Yes we're the Annnn-i-man-iacs....

Our writerrrrs....were on crack.

31. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Guest

Our comments are far more superior then everyone else's.... Whoo Hooo!!!

Only sucks I have to hold this distinguished title with Moonglow Merchant:cursing:

32. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Ditto. Well.. that and its fun to pop in and see who's still around and who upgraded their machines so they could move on. ;)

I disagree. I think Siege players who primarily PvP are the least competitive in the entire game industry. They continue playing because they're good at what they do in this antiquated game. And, afraid to try anything new cause that will put them at the low end of the totem pole again. And, those who PvP for the most part hate to lose.. under any circumstances.

QFT. I'm guilty of the same thing. I would have canceled my subscription a lot sooner than I did had I not chosen to stick it out as long as I did just to be around my friends. I still value those friendships, and even the rivalries. But, I wish I had about 3 years of that time back instead of wasting it in a game I really didn't enjoy anymore.

Kelmo does his job as a moderator. I've been moderating some forums for the gaming network that I work for that make Siege trash talk look like nursery school. Trash talk is the meat and potatoes of PvP. Its natural for people to push the envelope or get all emo at times. That isn't a siege thing. That's the nature of the PvP community.

Kelmo "spoils the fun" when he reigns it in because people toss the RoC out the window for the sake of getting the last word. Now.. if he did the same thing where I worked.. he'd actually get paid to do the same thing. ;)

33. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

VERY LOUD NOISES!!:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

34. Mr. Sly

Mr. Sly Guest

you carried crap in your pack anyway :bored: gl with whatever u do lol

35. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

Nice rant buddy! Sadly, twisting someones words and putting your own opinion to it, doesn't make it so. People are still very competitive for THIS game and will probably keep playing THIS game; because they're either loyal and going to ride out Ultima Online to the very end, or, don't have the time to play as much and choose to continue to play THIS game when they can, instead of trying to learn a new game with the lack of time they have to give.

:thumbsup:

36. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This guy comes back every couple of months and disses UO, much like Puffy.

He is best ignored. He thinks he knows more than he actually does.

37. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

"I disagree. I think Siege players who primarily PvP are the least competitive in the entire game industry. They continue playing because they're good at what they do in this antiquated game. And, afraid to try anything new cause that will put them at the low end of the totem pole again. And, those who PvP for the most part hate to lose.. under any circumstances."

My first comment is i bet you play a dexxer.

I will say this. Siege pvp is not as competetive as the more populated shards. I played great lakes for as long as ive played uo still log in once a week to keep my skills higher. The speed in which pvp takes place is by far faster than on siege..

Now for the comment of being scared not to compete. Id be willing to gamble and say you pick ANY game. (exept operation i have problems with my hands trembling) Give me the same amount of time that you have invested into it. Not only would i be able to compete with you id say that i would be able to dominate you.
    I dont continue to play ultima online because im scared i cant compete in another game. I choose to play ultima online because i enjoy the basic graphics and there is no other game that has a pvp system like it...

38. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

how is the population these days? :talktothehand:

39. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

It is growing... A cyclic thing.

40. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Get some active shard reporters who will get our player run events on the main page, submit player run events to the UO community spotlight.

41. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Not twisting anything. If anything, you are a poster child for exactly what I described.

That's an excuse.. not an explanation. People don't want to start over. Its not about loyalty to the game. As I mentioned, and you failed to quote, some people will stick around for their friends. Regardless of how mundane and repetitive a game becomes to them.

I'm not bashing the game per se.. But, when was the last time you guys had a fight that didn't take place in the same places at the same times with the same rules?

UO will always have a place in my gaming heart. Besides all the MUDs and MOOs.. it was my first graphical MMO. And, I truly miss when PvE wasn't an option. Those were the glory days.. pre-Siege, pre-Renn..

I come back every couple of months to see what's going on. And, its usually disappointing. It's the same old complaints about the game and each other. It's more like a soap opera than anything else.

So, Sakey.. don't get down on me because I found better pastures where fights involve up to 75 people at a time. I walked away because I wanted what you have been begging for for years and the whole point of the OP.

So either you want it or you just want more people to chase off the shard so you can stand on top and claim "Win Game" instead of real PvP. Cause if you want the latter you'll do what it takes to make that real for you. In UO or by starting over in another game.

Nobody likes to start over.. especially after 10 years of winning. But, those that are mowed down on Siege every day who are either new or from a PvE server.. well, they're starting over. And the whole Phasing thing is driving them back to the servers that are making Mythic money.. or to the games where people actually have a shot at starting over.

42. When you "win" a fight with 75 people, what do you "win"?

43. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

Okay buddy! :next:

44. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

QFT.

Sadly, there isn't an MMO out there that holds a candle to UO PvPwise (except *maybe* darkfall... once it's more polished)

The rock, paper, scissors crappy PvP you find in WOW, WAR, AoC, etc. etc. is annnooooyyying and BOOORRRING.

So let these newbs chase pixel crack endlessly on a treadmill. We'll just continue to enjoy PvP here. :thumbsup:

45. Bruin

Bruin Guest

QFT

Every other game I tried to play for pvp - WoW, Shadowbane, and a few others I can't remember now. You needed 6 months to train up your character to level 60 (no I'm not an uber powergamer), then 6 months to hunt and find the perfect equipment to roll in, then you're ready to pvp. By then they've made so many changes that your build is outdated and you gotta start all over again - it's how these companies keep you hooked.

For all it's faults, Siege is the only place where you can start today, go through boring RoT, but in 3 months have a fully trained pvp character and at least start to compete. Every once in a while they make a change that makes one skill useless or another one useful, but at least you don't have to start from scratch - you can just retrain that new skill.

46. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

I've played...

DAoC, AC, AC2, EQ, EQ2, EVE, Lineage II, Final Fantasy, SB, WoW, SWG, AoC, WAR and Darkfall.

And yes... I am a powergamer.

The ONLY game besides UO that I have any interest at all for is Darkfall and since I've only played on a friends account (since they're idiots and only open the store at 2pm on week days when I'm working) I don't see myself getting an account soon.

I even play a couple text based games like Cybernations (www.cybernations.net) and Travian (www.travian.com) with my gaming buddies. Which in CN... I'm currently involved in a huge war... takes 2 minutes of my day to play this game and it's tons of fun... I dunno, I love videogames :D

The point is, is that I play MMO's for the PvP and MORE. PvM is stupidly easy for the most part... granted great to do every now and then... but I love games like Final Fantasy, Xeno Gears (Xeno Saga ftw,) Star Ocean (1, 2 and 3,) Fable, SW KotR, and so on... console games are where it's at if I'm going to truly enjoy PvM... but, when I log in online to play a game... I want to fight PEOPLE. The same reason why I have N64 Bond or Hexxen or MarioKart or Smashbrothers sitting here next to me IRL. When I'm playing a game WITH people... I want to play AGAINST people. If I want to monsterbash... I'll grab a bottle of wine, a bowl packed with some cheebah and hit up my FF12 on my PS2 console.

Bottom line... there is no game in the industry that has PvP that matches UOs. Not in terms of skill, difficulty or just down right fun.

my 2 cents.

47. Nurse Miss Maude

Stratics Veteran

By competitive, I meant.......they hate to lose more than anyone. I don't think anyone is "afraid" to start over and play any other location or game. I meet Siege players all over the gaming world.
    PvP may be faster on production shards because the numbers are higher. That to me doesn't make it competitive, just faster. I do agree with the rest of what you posted Sunchicken. People play UO because they like the game, not out of fear.
    I still think people are more competitive here .......in the context to which i'm referring. All the board PvP proves my point.

Someone asked about a shard reporter? Isn't there one?

48. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

I understand what you are saying to some degree. If you think the pvp is more competetive here because of the board wars your wrong. The majority of the reason all the pvp threads on other shards are nonexistant is because the majority of the posters have big enough epeens that they get banned rather quickly..

Still not convinced i recomend www.uopvp.net go check out that great lakes site youll see the context in which people view their skills is by far more agressive than anyone here on siege.

They have thread topics simmilar to this...... Hey Look I KILLED A ******* PiecE OF **** SPEED Hacker I HOPE HIS MOTHER ROTS IN **** AND GETS the clap......

A slight exageration but you get the point