1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

How to give you all Nightmares.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Nexus, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

2. grimiz

grimiz Seasoned Veteran

So is this a one week outage to the forums as well? They reside under stratics.com. If so, you are doing a really good job of alienating customers. There's got to be a better cutover plan that that.

Not to be even more of an ass, but is the forum screenshot above from 1997 when stratics opened, or is that the new design?...

Spock's Beard likes this.
  3. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

The outage won't effect Forums, or UO2.Stratics where the guides and calculators are. The image isn't from 1997, I took it tonight, think of it as more of a way to generate some discussion as we head towards our new site.

In 1997 Stratics forums looked more like this. But the above isn't the new design either. As I mentioned in the linked post above, myself and others will be doing some videos to introduce the new site this week and you'll all be getting a peek at it then.

[​IMG]

But the neither image is the new design either. As I mentioned in the linked post above, myself and others will be doing some videos to introduce the new site this week and you'll all be getting a peek at it then.

4. Ron Bron

Ron Bron Former President
    VIP Contributor Alumni

You are correct that the forums reside under stratics.com, but the forums will not be impacted by the one week outage. The forums are a separate web application from stratics.com, so we will be able to keep them live even though the root domain is under maintenance. That said, later this morning there will be a brief downtime for the forums, but it shouldn't last more than a couple of hours.

5. petemage

petemage Seasoned Veteran

Wow, not even sure where to start tbh :(

Will it work with mobile browsers as good as the current (i.e. have responsive desing?)?
    Will there be an color scheme more like the current black/yellow one?

Why so much gray?? The center area of the screen is basically couple of letters and a lot of gray. I cropped the all but the center area, to make it more obvious:

gray.png

I guess the current two-column layout was chosen for exactly that reason, reducing whitespace and making the site look more compact. Please keep it.

6. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Nice Job Nexus, you're freaking people out ;)

Pete...if you read what he said...that IS NOT the new format...just keep an eye out for more updates :)

7. petemage

Guessed they asked for feedback?! w/e..

8. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Thats just the "classic" style of stratics. personally i think its the only useable on after the old ones were replaced, as the 4 quark ones are just too hard to read. I personally prefer the dark background, but the grey default text on quark just doenst show up well enough.

Perhaps we could get some more page style options in the future.

9. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Yeah I currently use Fluid Stratics Quark and I LOVE it! I like most of the page to be dark, the brightness hurts my eyes :/ lol and most everyones content and signature pictures show up quite nicely on the dark background. That's why I did my new sig pic the way I did...gotta be dark!

Captn Norrington likes this.
  10. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

this is how it shows up for me. the quark version appears very grey and hard to read. I really liked the old "dark background" stratics, but the new text is just slightly more "grey" i tried to use it for a while because i like the look, but its just too hard to read.

Is there any way to change this? if the text were a few shades brighter it would be useable for me.

stratics.png

11. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

IF it's going to look like your showing with my avitar back over along the side there and full..... I would VERY much prefer that. Though I'll miss my black.

12. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

well the pic i have is how it shows now, but only in "classic style" I also prefer the avatar over on the side, and the text not offset from the middle as much as in the "quark" styles.

who knows tho, we might get totally new themes/styles when the site completes it updates. im only hoping that the text on them is easier to read than in the current quark styles.

13. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Smoot and Larisa like this.
  14. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

oh man Mike D will love those new chats

15. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I don't get how it takes you a week at a time to cut over to a new site...

I just don't

16. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Because all the articles, guides, etc are having to be placed in the proper categories, and edited to fit the new styling, all the Forum Content has to be imported to the new format and placed in the proper place. Doing that to over 1500 guides and over a decade worth of articles isn't a fast project, especially when everyone working on it also has a full time job to attend to. Not to mention we're recovering a lot of old content that was displaced in various migrations, or other incidents that didn't have an assigned place in the databases or lost it's association with it's creator for the forums and making it visible for people to browse through as part of an archive.

** I should also mention that we're spending a week testing and tweaking things before it's opened to the public.

Captn Norrington likes this.
  17. Olcher

Olcher Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

CHANGE? What is this? We play a 17+ year old game we want a 17+ year old looking forum preferably hosted on Geocities kthxbye.

Smoot likes this.
  18. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Here ya go. Here's what the original UHall looked like:

https://web.archive.org/web/19981111184851/http://uoss.stratics.com/

(Note: Click on the UHall link on the left in the archived page)

Sometimes I miss that old format.

#17 Dermott of LS, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Ron Bron likes this.
  19. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager

Oh wow...that's so awesome!

20. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

You know your site better than an outsider... just know that anytime i make a migration I have it copied and built in the backend site and bring it to the front at go-live.

21. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

shh.. don't tell anyone but Geocities closed for US customers in 2009, you know that might be a sign that Stratics need to look this decade.

22. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Well are doing that, this isn't and won't be a week long project, we've actually been working on it for over a month. Today's snafu had to do with pulling more recent backups to work from and well running into a small glitch.

23. Olcher

Olcher Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

:sad3:

24. petemage

Is feedback on that video encouraged? Or shall I take notes until it goes live? :D

25. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Better get Ron making some scrolling marquees, animated gifs and join some webrings... None of this new-fangled Facebook and Twitter nonsense.

Oh and a really crappy tune set to loop...

We had Tripod for our first guild website, think I had the files archived somewhere but it was pretty tragic stuff ;)

Wenchy

Ron Bron likes this.
  26. Olcher

Olcher Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, yes, yes, and YES to everything above. Please make this happen. Tripod will be a sufficient Geocities substitute.

Ron Bron and Wenchkin like this.
  27. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Keep notes we'll have a place for them when it goes live.

28. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Just posted a new video to the thread in the first post, it shows user group creation and options.

29. Fusilli Zaitsev

Fusilli Zaitsev Journeyman

You can use these on the front page during the transition, it might help people understand what's going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#28 Fusilli Zaitsev, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  30. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

31. petemage

trinkets.. buy more.. :pie: