1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hunter's Code of Honor

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Naitch, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Naitch

Naitch Journeyman

Have you ever been killing a spawn or farming drops and another person shows up and just starts to take over?

This happened to me recently, and I don't mind sharing hunting grounds, but when the player doesn't speak or reply to a hello and just takes all the kills, it is a real sign of disrespect.

I know in a game where everything is open and in the players control, even though no rules are broken, I don't like my toes getting stepped on.

I follow my own Code of Honor when hunting, and If I see someone there, I quietly move on. Unfortunately, not all who play share this attitude.

2. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This has always been a source of annoyance to many players but unfortunately it is something we have to learn to live with. It pops up in many situations but as you rightfully say it falls within the mechanics of the game so there is little or nothing you can do. I have long since learnt to accept that there are people with that aspect to their character and just leave and come back another time. The great majority of players do have respect for other players but just as in R/L some do not. They have no respect for anyone or as you have phrased it 'Honour'. Sad fact of life.

3. virtualhabitat

virtualhabitat Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I generally move on if someone is already there. a couple days ago i was farming miasma and a guy came and asked to join. we took turns. was nice to have time too actually loot the corpse.

4. StealYourFace

StealYourFace Journeyman

It depends on what it is. Most of the time ill find something else to kill and try back later. If its something like Navery ill jump in because some people will camp it all day. Back when people killed unbound EVs the same people would be there day and night. After awhile if I wanted a chance at good loot I would just jump in. If I really need mats for imbueing ill work the spawn but let whoever was there first kill the boss.

Naitch likes this.
  5. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Depends on what it is you are farming. If i dont want confrontation about low level stuff, i just go somewhere else. If its some public higher end creature, loot improves greatly from more people, so its actually welcome if others join. Special drop chances are actually calculated for every player separatly, sometimes its only win-win if others join, slasher of veils is a good example where more players are actually better.
    And just in case , if you are doing gold elementals for blackthorn arties, go kill something harder and leave these to the miners. More drops on other mobs down there. If i see some warrior like thing there that doesnt seem to smelt the ingots, i just move in, say hello and start killing.

Naitch likes this.
  6. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Something we've all had to deal with. At Navery I just well.... let them join. Something like Miasma or something you are pretty much stuck with 3 choices, if it's in Fel... Kill them... or call some friends in to Kill them, in Tram you either have to move on and let the jerk have the spot and remember who they are so the next time they want/need anything you can repay the kindness with a big fat up yours, or you can get another character and retake your spawn spot. Though there is always the be a better person and just leave and find something else to do knowing you are indeed the better more mature person.

Naitch likes this.
  7. hirikawa

hirikawa Journeyman

At Navrey spot i usually meet one person farming it all day long in very slow process. Tried to say Hello few times - no replay. I always left place but once i just jumped in and finished Navrey fast. Then finally i heard first words from that person! that i should "go to hell" or something like that.

Yadd of Legends likes this.
  8. StealYourFace

StealYourFace Journeyman

Navery is always better with more people. The faster you kill it the more chances you get at a tangle. Ive tried explaining this to people before and its like teaching a rock to swim.

Obsidian and Philly like this.
  9. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

well it's still better than in the old days where they'd just show up and kill you ... just sayin' hehe

Kirthag, Lord Frodo and Spock's Beard like this.
  10. Danpal

Danpal Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran The Valorian Knights

A few years back I was farming the Cu for a blaze and one showed up as soon as it showed up I had a big name guild show up and they claimed that the area was there's to hunt only no one elses. After a few mins of talking with the player and me not backing down. The person called his guild mates and they attacked and killed the blaze Cu. They said if they could not have it no one should. I have not been down there sense.

MalagAste and Lord Frodo like this.
  11. Francis Drake

Francis Drake Adventurer

Yup, seen this person there multiple times. If you get her to speak its always some obnoxious reply.

12. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

:facepalm:

Lord Nabin likes this.
  13. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

You brought to mind a similar incident from approximately three years ago.

My late friend Bastet nearly lived in Twisted Weld taming Cus. All she wanted was a blaze Cu. Well it finally happened that one spawn on Legends. Bastet was trying to tame it with her best friend. When an X sharder showed up and started taming it out from under her. Their guild was in our guild alliance, and they were blowing up ally chat for help. They were even begging over general chat for help. I swear half of Legends was down there trying to help Bastet, and that a-hole still go the blaze Cu! He laughed at us, said our shard sucked and called a bunch of names (I said he was an a-hole). He immediately transfer the Cu of shard and sold it.

Sadly Bastet passed away 3-4 months later, never ever getting that blaze Cu she wanted so much. I want to state that the incident had nothing at all to do with her untimely death. Her bestfriend has quit UO never to return. I miss them both terribly.

I have often wondered if Mr. A-hole knew she would only live a few more months would he have rethought his course of actions? Have the majority of UO players become so greedy and selfish that they care only for gold and nothing for the feelings of others?

14. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Yes it is. I fret for our losing perspective on this. If not the population of the game proper then certainly the Stratics population.

-Galen's player

15. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

oh the benefits of a low population shard.

16. WhiteWitch

WhiteWitch Journeyman

This is the price of Trammel really, some people will behave as they wish when there is nothing you can do about it, it used to be way worse back when the shards had more players, if you were farming somewhere and someone else came in they wouldn't just try to take over, they would generally go and lure a ton of mobs to you and invis to grief you out of there.

Back in 2003 this was the main reason I moved to Siege, other blue players were very polite if they walked in on you farming or at a spawn, if it was a red of course you would have to fight or run, but at least that's up front and honest, leaves less of a bad taste than someone hiding behind game mechanics to grief you.

I personally prefer the game now with fewer players, it also seems that these days there is a bit more of a community feel on the lower population shards too, with everyone knowing everyone, you still see people around but must less squabbling over hunting locations.

BeaIank and Lord Frodo like this.
  17. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

First and foremost.....this is a game folks. So you didn't get the sparkly piece of pixie crack and someone else did......it is a game...get over it.
    With fel you could atleast fight for it! But most hate fel rule set so then you need to suck it up an accept tram rules.

Tram rules clearly state that no one owns a spawn. All are welcome to kill what you can, or farm what you can.

A couple points....I get a lot of rare drops. Way more then my share..why?? Because I solo things. So those that claim that it is really better to have more people attacking a boss probably have never got a slither or a set of tinkered legs...and probably never will.

If I was in twisted taming cu's and a blaze pops I dont care who is also there...it would be every tamer for themselves. If I have better skill or better luck and get it tamed...good for me...if you get it...good for you. Again...it is a game...get over it.

All that being said...I get tired of hearing people cry over navery, or any of the open access bosses. The games people play trying to kill off adversaries with spawn is stupid. If someone wants to jump in.....let them and stop the whining. I have made more friends over the years by letting people ride my kills cause they can't solo that boss. Good friends....also earned respect and good will from my adversaries. Sure sometimes you meet those that just want to try to get you killed off...I tend to just laugh and do what I can to survive the challenge. It is like getting ganked 4 or 5 against 1... That isnt a loss to me...I just see it as a challenge on how long I can survive.

Who is worse.....someone who doesn't play polite UO? ...Or a gown adult that whines like a 4 year old because they aren't getting their own way...

It is a game....laugh it off...really if you care so much you are getting angry, or emotional then I suggest it is time you take a step away and breath a little. Cause seriously your childish rants and pouts and temper tantrums are a lot worse them the original "honor code" violation.

You all want tram rules...then suck it up buttercup

Merlin, Philly and Lord Frodo like this.
  18. Naitch

Naitch Journeyman

It happened again this morning while farming Minax Arties.

Since I am not allowed to hunt there when this guy shows up, I left him a present in the form of a greater dragon.
    After all fair is fair...

Lord Frodo, Kirthag and Larisa like this.
  19. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

So Naitch, which shard are you on?

20. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Well, its a game played by real people. What do you expect? Some people have manners and are polite others are a-holes. Why does it surprise anyone that this wouldnt manifest in everything these people do, including playing a game?

Whats surprised me more is some of the replies in this thread, which actually translate to "I always respect if someone else is at a spawn and quietly move on. Unless its something I really want then to hell with manners and I'll be an a-hole myself and jump right in".

Hypocracy at its finest.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  21. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No, same thing could, and did, occur in Fel, it just had a different flavor.

In Fel they'd bring friends and kill you. Or they would bring friends, do the same thing, then kill you after you got frustrated and went grey trying to chase them out.

The conditions sadly always will favor the rats -- it's just that the old rules favored the rats in a different sort of way.

-Galen's player

MalagAste and Lord Frodo like this.
  22. Jirel of Joiry

Congratulations! You have just made yourself a textbook example of the "F- You Attitude" in UO.

The OP said she was willing to share the spawn. The OP also said she was there first, but hey this is UO so take whatever you want and F everybody, right?

I'm sure you were one of those way back when pancakes, whining', and screaming' when UO was all Felucca all the time. So the Devs in a attempt to pacify the masses and keep subs gave birth to Trammel. With the the birth of Tram came the "Tram A-hole". This person uses game mechanics to harass and grief everyone away from a spawn. These same kinds of player have been responsible for many players throwing in the towel.

Did you even read my previous post? That is without a doubt the lowest, most disgusting display of a-hole behavior! The guy could have tamed the Cu and left. He didn't have to cuss, disrespect, and degrade our shard and players. But hey, this is UO so its his right to be an a-hole.

UO isn't the only game this goes on in, it happens in WoW, LoTR, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and even Minecraft.

I really believe its less about the gamer win-at-all-costs attitude, and more about the internet illusion of anonymity. This is the internet and I'm anonymous behind my keyboard. So I can be the biggest a-hole on the planet and no one can do anything cause they don't know who I am! That line reasoning always makes me laugh so hard I nearly wet my jeans. You are NOT anonymous on the internet. Your isp collects data, your government, certain websites log you ip address so you can be tracked down. I have been on the internet since 1996 and it's scary what people will do when they have that illusion of anonymity.

One final thought: instead of the F you attitude, why not come together as a community and not tolerate this kind of behavior?

23. Lady CaT

Lady CaT Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Happens all the time in game and especially at EM events. This is the whole reason a loot rights system is coded into the game. Some spawns types have limited access and probably why you will see others competing for the kills. And also not everyone plays the honorable paladin goody type....just saying :devil:.

I've been roleplaying a Dread Lady Mage for years and all I'll say is the majority of people just don't ever get it. Not implying this necessarily of you at all!
    I wear black with bone armor, have a Dread Lady Mage title from killing every blue creature I find, built an evil looking tower complete with lava, torture racks,iron maidens, and dead vegetation, I ride a mean looking ethereal reptalon, and my first response to everything is "KAL VAS FLAM" or "CORP POR".
    Not sure how much clearer I can make it? Code of Honor? Yeah not so much...:slap:

Just remember its only a game designed for entertainment and there will always be more spawn to fight over!

Lord Frodo and Naitch like this.
  24. Naitch

Naitch Journeyman

I think you misread my post.

The other player is the one who was the aggressor, not me.
    If I stumbled upon him hunting there, I would most likely turn around and go somewhere else. It's not that at all, I have tons and tons of gold and pixels, I really don't NEED anymore.
    I do it because it's what I enjoy doing.

25. Naitch

Naitch Journeyman

I play on Chesapeake shard.

26. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

What do any of the "Similar Threads" shown below have anything what so ever to do with this thread. It would be a nice feature if it worked. @Kirthag

27. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

It is a brand new feature that we are testing for the benefit of the community. It may require some tweaking to only list more recent threads.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  28. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

For the OP: I generally have the same code of honor, but this type of behavior you describe is apart of the game. Just like stealing is. You have to deal with it. Especially if you were solo-farming, hate to say it, but no one owns any spawn and is entitled to an explanation from another player. By all means, I usually atleast would like a 'hello' returned or someone to acknowledge you and ask if you mind if they join in, but it doesn't happen always.

If you were in Fel, and wanted to teach them a lesson, you come back on a PVP toon and chase 'em out. Call in guildie's to come help you finish up what you were doing before the other guy can. Grief them and drag a bunch of spawn onto them. Get back at them in some form or another so that maybe they won't do it to the next person. Venting about it here is nice and all, but one of the other unique aspects of this game is that when someone griefs on you, you have options to throw the grief right back at them.

The type of game play described by the OP is apart of the game. It's life, and guess what? Life isn't fair sometimes. Just like stealing is an aspect of this game, so are taking spawns. Or raiding them. And ganking your corpse. It sucks. It happens to all of us at some point or another. You adapt, overcome, conquer. Not sing kum-bay-ya and hope that everyone shares the same sense of community that you do. This is just a game and T-Wolf's post is spot on.

Naitch likes this.
  29. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

No, I think you misread MY post. At no point did I say I was refering to the OP. It was some of the replies that I was referring to.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  30. WhiteWitch

WhiteWitch Journeyman

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Trammel, nor am I blaming it for this, yes of course its possible to do this in Fel, but it has been my observation that people are much more inclined to behave this way when they know there are no consequences for it.

After spending years on WoW PvP servers I found my own faction were far more likely to try to grief me this way than the enemy faction were, with enemy players of a similar level, they would either attack or give you a very wide berth and not interfere with what you were doing, of course if it were an enemy player of 20+ levels above you, they would almost certainly kill you, because they know they cannot lose, no consequences.

It strikes me these sorts of acts are those of cowards, same goes for those who will go and get a group together to kill you, it all involves hiding behind some sort of advantage or safety to grief.

31. Jirel of Joiry

Thank you! Well spoken, indeed.