1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I got more felines than a Cat Lady

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Prince Caspian, Oct 28, 2009.

1. So I pop on over to Shame and start doing the Monster Mash on the red mages.

After a few monsters, I got a Cat Statue drop. Awesome!
    A few more, I get another. Cool! This is just my night...

Around the 10th statue, I start to wonder where the hell the other drops are. I offhandedly slay a Fire Ellie and find a ruined tapestry.

When they say "certain monsters" drop these Halloween arties, does that mean a certain type will only drop one of the three? I haven't seen one Ruined Tapestry or Scarecrow drop on a red mage, but I'm finding cats galore...

BTW Devs -- the Halloween quest was pretty nifty this year. Bravo.

2. Kri

Kri Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I've gotten all of the items off the same types of creatures but the cats drop far more frequently. I've gotten 19 cats, 7 tapestries and 3 scarecrows so that should give you some idea of the ratio.

3. kitiara-atlantic

kitiara-atlantic Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've gotten the scarecrow, cats, and tapestry off of ettins and trolls in Despise - also, more cats than anything else, and only 1 tapestry.

4. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I got 5 Tapestry in a row from daemons and then 1 scarecrow.

5. Everyting drops so easily they should have just given us them.

I am all for collecting.

The drop is too easy. I dont see the point.

They are awesome looking.

But the drop is way to common.

6. jaraxlebaenrae

jaraxlebaenrae Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Yea, because that way only certain people would have them and it would bring more gold...../sarcasm

7. You miss the point.

If I sell 1 for 200k
    or buy 4 for 50k each and sell them for 100k each. Its all the same. A good merchant doesnt need rarity.

I still make the same amount.

Did I say only make them drop 1 in 10000 times. No

In 1 year people will be asking for spring cleaning so the 215 cats they have will have use.

Think about it.

8. lady_pearl

lady_pearl Guest

I had over 15 cats this morning, I just started decorating random places with them :(

9. Yen Sid

Yen Sid Guest

I have been asking for Spring Cleaning for 3 months already :lol:. I will really want it in another 2 months and it will be mid-winter still lol

10. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

Maybe they can make the cat statues stackable. :)

11. DevofLS

DevofLS Guest

I play on LS, and I don't know if people are dropping them on the ground or what, but I found about 12 just sitting there on the carpet in the vesper healers building, and I also found them in the mountain passage between covetous lvl 2 to lvl 3, just sitting there I did not loot them, I did however get cats, and scarecrows from Ice, got a cat off of a spider and the rest from ogre lords.

12. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I agree, I'm not big for pvm and I already have three cats a tap and a scarecrow. I usually use myself to gauge for drop rates for things. They could have increased the rarity tenfold and everyone who did a little pvm each night would have gotten what they wanted by the end of things.

13. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

yes! why can't everyone just enjoy the new items 8) why's it always have to be rare so only the people with millions of gold can enjoy them? i got lots of cats and i'm happy!

14. Cause for enjoyment, Im saying just give them to us.

You can go enjoy your cat.

As for loot. The frequency is silly. Cats are already being dumped on the ground.

Here is something cool.
    Keep the rate the same.
    Toss in a rare gold cat.

YOU KNOW WHAT. Everyone will be yelling they didnt get a gold cat.

You cant win.

But seriously. 100 cats in 3 hours. Silly.

15. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

What is silly is people loot them, if you are getting more than you will ever use then let them decay on the corpse. You don't need to ruin the ability for more causal players to get them by complaining you have too many. Just let them rot on what ever you are hunting. Its the players fault if they bother looting/storing more than they need or want, not the devs or anyone else.

16. I am glad they are easy to get, saw one in Luna for 1 million and was laughing as I put five on a vendor for 50k each.

17. Dude youve got be awful causual like 10 minutes a week if you need loot drops like this.

Pakratatism is a disease. Don't blame the victims of an illness.

18. LOL! I know precisely the vendor you are talking about. He marked it down from 4 mill yesterday.

I like to dream too, dude.

19. Serafi

Serafi Babbling Loonie

Indeed. Finally got some playtime in to do the halloween quest. I was so glad to see the Cats, ruined tapestry and scarecrow drop so easily. The robe is still a rare one and I have already seen I need to get that through other means but that is ok. I got my cats. I am so happy I want to hug a dev now! :thumbup:

20. lol i've been selling these cats for 5k from the get-go, sold over a hundred of them now. i think i've sold the tapestry and scarecrow for 10k each.

21. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

now this is strange.

ive been farming demons in fel and i havnt recieved one item off of them.
    and ive checked every one of them.

but i did get a couple off of the odd red mage or elemental while running to get red sparklies.

hmmm, never mind.
    i think i know why that is.
    (fire temple isnt IN a dungeon)

dont mind me.
    im just talking to myself.

22. The Fallout

The Fallout Guest

Yea I agree with Raven. I don't think the drops should be Ultra Rare, but maybe a little less likely.

23. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I totally get what he is saying. It's not about making things rare, it's about making them so available that we all end up with hundreds if we're not careful. It's really hard to not loot something when you know it's a limited time spawn, because in the history of UO things like this can quite often appreciate in value, so you feel guilty not looting corpses or tossing spares.

Of course the answer really is the same as it always is, only keep what you want to give up the storage for. And tbh it's a deco item, those do not appreciate well unless they are extremely desirable and fairly rare.

I guess I will feel dumb if I end up saving four statues and then in a couple years do a pyramid design and need a dozen of sacred cats. But of course they may be much cheaper to buy then than if they were rare. Then again if they do some kind of fall cleaning thing and assign an especially high point value to halloween deco of 2009, now the cats will be pricey again...ugh. UO is not good for my packrat tendencies. :p

24. The problem is that the cats are breeding too prodigiously. We need to get 'em fixed!

Heh, I guess it all goes back to the "precious threshold" of items in Ultima Online:

Condition 1: I'm not reaching my precious threshold of this item, so the game isn't fair and the drop needs to increase.

Condition 2: I've exceeded my precious threshold, so now the item is dropping too often and devaluing my extras I plan to eventually sell.

25. Exactly Sars
    That was funny PC

26. Scarst

Scarst Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I plan on starting a society of super evil masterminds who will sit around surrounded by cats while petting their favorite cat while divulging their secret plan to the hero who inevitably will have a cat.

27. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Man, whoever comes up with an MMO where every player is set up to feel like they are doing just a bit better than other players, will become extremely wealthy. People tend to dislike rare items unless they can get them themselves. Joe dexxer might have a blast with an event until he finds out after it's over that bards had a secret method of getting 10 times the neato thing he was getting. Then suddenly it's soured for him.

Most of us measure our accomplishments against the accomplishments of others, it's a very human thing to do. We tend to be more magnanimous in specific situations when we feel like we are generally doing better than others - I may not get one of those fancy luck robes from this event but I don't care because just a few days ago I nabbed a bag of server births and other rares from an idoc. If I really wanted one of those I could buy one off of a luna vendor and still have money left over for a gold plated chamber pot. :thumbup: Hrm! that got me on a new train of thought...

28. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

Someone on GL was selling cat for 500k. I laughed and moved on.

I agree that these are cool - but way way too common.

It is not about *making millions* but making it so that the drop is actually 'exciting'. Alot of people don't even loot these anymore. They would have been better off to put on a NPC for 10k as a gold sink.

Reduce the drop rate by 5-10x and it would be much better. Everyone would still get a cat - but not have 50 of them after a couple of hours of hunting.

29. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

Belive it or not that guy will have probably suckered someone. I remeber when commodity deeds came out. I was browsing a vendor east of brit and saw unfilled deeds for (I think) 50k each. I knew the devs had just put them in and thought to myself wow there won't be anybody using those anytime soon. I was actually pretty pissed the devs made them so rare that somebody thought they were worth 50k. A few days later I discover npc bankers were practically giving them away.

When I see vendors doing this crap I wont ever set foot in the entire shop again.

As for cats... I have 7 or so. I have joined packrats anonymous. I am coping... last night I threw one on the ground and I felt funny. But I still managed to leave it there. Baby steps to the recall icon... click click. Baby steps to the front step. Baby steps to the log out button... click. Baby steps to the confirmation... click. start >> shutdown >> OK.

*sits in his desk chair staring at the black screen feeling sad that kitty disintegrating*

30. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Whilst I agree they are a bit too common a drop, for those who like collecting all possible variants - they are also stainable... ;)

31. well, people are still buying cats off my vendor for 5k, either i'm a dope, or there's some serious cat lovers out there.

32. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Yeah, make sure you farm the **** out of them, and then complain of their ease, so that those of us that can't play UO all damn day and night are forced to buy them from YOU after the Devs respond to your whining and make them damn near unattainable...business as usual..

33. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Didn't the devs think about spaying or neutering these felines? They are PROLIFIC! Forget rats, we are having a plague of cats!

I feel like a cat lady... lol!

34. Ibram Vale

Ibram Vale Guest

Consider yourself lucky to get cats, I have a ton of the scarecrows, very few cats (the cats are what I've been chasing, not the crows). I think the game somehow senses what I desire, and drops the scarecrows and tapestries just to mess with me.....

More on topic, I'm happy with the drop rate. I don't have to spend all night doing the same old grind (read: crystals) to get what I want. I can go hunting a bit, collect a few items, and spend my time doing other things I enjoy more. Noone MAKES you hunt for 14 hours straight, you do that all by your onesy. :mf_prop:

35. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I would trade you cats for taps! Taps are what I'm after. At least this deco is nice and big and easy to see in the corpses.

36. Drawde2

Drawde2 Guest

Are we playing UO or Dwarf Fortress? :)

37. Fink

Fink Guest

I assume the cat statuette is the proverbial black cat of bad luck?

It would be great if it worked as a negative luck statue. I've been trying to get a plain orc mask without any properties so I can imbue it the way I want. Every one that drops has some junk attribute I don't need.

38. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I got a load of the other arties off a silver farmer scripter :D

39. dreadflame

dreadflame Guest

:lol::thumbup1:

40. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

*gasps* admitting to something like that will get you kicked out of the "packrats r us" club you know!