1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I just had something interesting happen to me...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Llewen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Two times in the past few days I have been essentially one shot killed, one on one, by a mystic mage. This is on characters with max resists, and over 120 hit points and full health. Both died in less than a second. Is there an exploit involving spell triggers out there that I don't know about?

The one that killed me said something about nether cyclone on a spell trigger. I don't know whether he was lying to me just to get me going or what was up. Spell plague was part of the equation for sure, and I don't think bombard was. If this is legit, then mysticism is in serious need of a nerf, if this is an exploit, does anyone mind filling me in with the particulars without explaining how it is done please.

And if you do know how it is done, please bug report it and maybe send a pm to Mesanna...

2. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Was the person polymorphed in orc or ogre form and were you carrying an undead slayer talisman or wearing an undead slayer?

3. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

I thought slayer effects were not empowered in pvp combat.
    Mebbe I'm mistaken......

4. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

5. Babble

Babble Guest

But they did take it out at one time then?

6. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

No, none of that, I wasn't carrying any slayers and they weren't in any form that I know of. And when I say "one shot kill" I don't mean that technically. It was some kind of combo, but the effect was essentially a one shot kill. As I said, I died in less than a second. I went from full health to dead in less than the time it would take to cast heal with 6/2 casting.

I pvp a lot, against all kinds of players, and all kinds of templates, I've never seen anything like this before. It was like the old days when the exp/fs/hally whack combo meant certain death unless you had greater heal precast and got it off at just the right time.

7. Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Explosion, spell plague, magic arrow, pain spike, lightning? With a bombard trigger that'd do it.

8. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

nope no nether cyclone on spell trigger, was probably a bombard. Perhaps it was a explo/plague type hit?

9. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Clearly there needs to be some third party stuff involved if Llewen died.

10. superstang

superstang Guest

I have experienced the same thing. I wouldn't say it was one second, but I went from 100+ hp to dead in less than 4 seconds (bandage time). I think it involved spell plague. I can't remember the exact combo, but I know it was mystic since assist didn't show the actual spell name, only the words of power. I returned to the game a few months ago after more than a year off, so part of it was due to being a SA newb. However, short of munching an apple (I know now) there was nothing I could do to avoid it since I was inbetween heal pots. I haven't pvped since this encounter. It really turned me off and I have been waiting for some balance. I too am banging the mystic BALANCE drum. It isn't a nerf when it is already overpowered.

Also, disarm archers seem equally gimp, but less absurd.

11. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

That's a pretty full template - mysticism, focus, magery, eval int, necro, ss. Am I missing something? I don't think that was it anyway, as far as I know this guy doesn't have necro. Anyway, I'll pay closer attention next time I fight the guy. I was a bit shocked this time, it happened so fast.

12. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

you mean 2/6?

13. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Couldn't have said it better myself.

14. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

Ya, 2/6, potayto potahto... :)

15. Emosocial

Emosocial Guest

Sounds like a sneaky way for an archer main to try and get Mysti mages nerfed. WE ARE ON TO YOU MAN !!!

16. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

Well who knows, I'm not a number cruncher and maybe my perception of what happened doesn't match the reality, soooo, I'll have to wait until I fight this guy again to see of the same thing happens, and if so, what happens...

17. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Had the same happening to me several times now. I did survive by hitting confidence, but it's kinda tough if you go from 130 hp to 25 in 2 sec.

I think it's a spellplague, explo-fs combo with a spell trigger bombard thrown in.

As I said, I can survive this, run a screen, heal and be back pestering that mystic, but if he has a friend with him and they are coordinating their attacks via teamspeak, then it gets a close call.

18. CroakerTnT

CroakerTnT Guest

Any chance the combo is recorded in your journal? It used to be possible to record the whole journal to a humongous text file, perhaps you could set the client to do this so you don't miss it? Or just, next time it happens, sit down and work your way back through it.

19. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

Ya, I actually do keep records of my journals. I'll have to see if I can find it. There aren't any power words for spells stored in spell triggers are there though?

20. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Boy, for acting like you know so much about PvP on these forums you sure don't know much of anything. :gee:

21. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

I certainly don't know everything, and I don't play a mystic, so it rather follows I don't know as much about them. But that's part of what makes UO so much fun for me, there's always more to learn - although apparently you don't relate to that... ;)

22. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

I certainly don't know everything, and I don't play a mystic, so it rather follows I don't know as much about them. But that's part of what makes UO so much fun for me, there's always more to learn - although apparently you don't relate to that... ;)

From my journal:

Spell Plague
    Magic Arrow
    Nether Bolt

Whatever was on the spell stone wasn't recorded but my guess is it was bombard. All three ticks on the spell plague would be enough. Maybe I was just having a slow day and everything seemed faster than normal. I usually don't let anyone work in all three ticks on a spell plague. Ah well, we all have bad days.

23. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

Look, no one respects you or your opinion who matters. You are a cheater, you admit to it. Anything you say will be from the standpoint of a cheater and obviously will work to pushing your pro-cheat agenda. You should have been banned from stratics long ago.

24. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

if you wear the conjurer's trinket, maybe that made you susceptible to a mysticism book with repond on it

25. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

the majic arrow / netherbolt thing is one of the proposed pvp changes. As for dying in 3 seconds, well i really dont think that unusual if someone is fighting a very high dps temp. Like how fast can a dexter with 130 manna spam out armor ignores? Or, if anyone remembers, the necro archer fad that many ran for a while, using concussion blow. Mysticism is supposed to get nerfed, and from what it looks like the nerf is fine. What im really glad to see is magery getting buffed.

26. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Oh I've been banned from stratics at least 3 or 4 times. I lol every time. I don't really care if you respect my opinion I'll still post it regardless. :hahaha:

27. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

If you have to ask if spell trigger shows words of power you are absolutely clueless about PvP. Maybe if you macro'd some spells other than fireball and all kill you might learn some more.

28. Babble

Babble Guest

Probably a few crits?

29. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

...becuase you can hide behind the veil of internet anonymity like a pathetic little coward.

30. Babble

Babble Guest

Coward is a successful business model.
    :p

31. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

..for cowards.

32. Korik Bloodguard

Korik Bloodguard Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Wow, check out this internet cop. Simmer down, son.

33. Elden of Baja

Elden of Baja Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

*Trolls*

So, you died in 2 seconds from 120 health to DEAD from

Spell Plague
    Magic arrow
    Nether bolt

Which would do no more than 50 damage, Now if he swung his boomerang at you, hit you with it, and the spell went off on it, and you happened to swing at him for 20 damage and he had 100% Reflect physical, and then he lobbed his spell trigger at you, that might come close to 120, but doubtful. :lol:

120 magery
    120 mysto
    120 focus
    120 resist
    120 eval
    60 Necro
    60 Spirit Speak

Enough to pain spike for some damage, and enough to evil omen to poison/Sleep targets with resisting spells.

CURSE< IF they aren't cursed, well, CURSE THEM AGAIN
    Explo
    Spell Plague
    Pain Spike
    Spell Trigger
    < IF THEY AREN'T DEAD YET
    Lightning

34. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

That's all there was in my journal, and I'm assuming that something was on a spell trigger that didn't get recorded in my journal. I'm assuming it's a bombard unless he has figured out a way to put something else on a spell trigger, which was what he claimed, and then said he was joking. It took less than two seconds. This person is notorious for casting very fast.

But it's pretty much a moot point now. We'll have to see what happens after the next publish.