1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I"m gonna give it the ole College try again..

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by GarthGrey, Apr 19, 2009.

1. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I made a crafter, who I'm sure will never amount to anything since this shard has what?, 9 years worth of crafters on it? But it was fun to run around doing everything for myself. I probably won't live long, and I"m fairly certain I'll never be able to afford a house, but there's nothing wrong with living out of the bank box now is there? I had a Heritage Token so I got a Quiver of Infinity and blessed it. Will it stay full of arrows if I die? Oh, and I used a Vet reward for a nice Ethy Polar Bear so I stick out like a sore thumb....I don't care if it takes the 3 months the essay says or not to GM the crafting skills, it HAS in fact brought back memories of what it was like in the beginning, so for 1 day, it's been worth it...

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

We could always use another crafter.

3. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

the only problem with blessing the quiver (and the arrows in it) is you cant bless your bow too. so yes you can keep your arrows but you may lose your bow.

4. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Welcome to Siege.

5. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

Well I eventually want to work up Archery, so I figured that was the way to go, I don't expect to have a bow worthy of a blessing anytime soon...

6. SavageSP

SavageSP Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome to Siege.

I loved starting over here, it was so fun to start over fresh.

If your going to be a crafter, things like Shurikins, egg bombs, orange petals, Potions, Cloth, Colored Ingots and Leather are always in demand. You may not be able to sell a lot of GM Leather, but Runic + the Armslore bonus might do ok. LRC suits sell pretty good also. Sheer Sheep, Mine Colors for BoDs and (verite for mage armor), arrows, bolts etc all will bring you gold to start off and buy a home.
    Check out Mythbusting Siege, and if you need some help, or just want a hand, check out the "New" guild, or talk with some people and join up with a Guild to help you out.
    If you get PKed, dont get mad, it happens to everyone new, old, crafter's and all. You may or may not be treated very well but give them a chance to pick through your corpse, you may get a rez, you may get some or all of your items back, or you may be rez killed. If you get RKed once just move on and get new stuff and learn from the experience, its just stuff and you can plan your revenge for another day...
    Welcome to Siege, give it a try, I did and dropped 4 homes on Legends.

7. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

Well, this time I stayed away from Luna and didn't die once...Got mining to 70...tinker to 62..and LJ to err 54? Thank you for the advice...

8. archite666

archite666 Guest

ICQ me at 448-196-674 if you need anything.

I would have no problem lending you a bit of gold for a little loft somewhere in the mountains.

9. burdensrise

burdensrise Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Send me an ICQ 428178068

10. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome to Siege :thumbsup:

11. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Welcome to the shard *evil grins*

12. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

My buddy decided to make an archer....so I left him with all of my best bows, most of which have HLD, SSI, Fireball/light and DI at high intensity. If you want I'll ask him to let you pick one out.

13. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

You WILL afford a house here or two or more.

My first home here in 2004 was a puny 8 x 9 with no walls, could not afford walls at the time. Built it near brit near all the trees and ore galore and acquired lumber and ingots to stow in me bank and or use to sell mere furnitures etc.

All I have here is pure crafters and by some players standards they would still be labeled *poor* ie no pvper no pvmer to garner gp or wonder items off mega monsters to sell.. no matter I have millions of gp in the bank plenty for my own chrs lives and 2 18 x 18 homes here. Not too shabby for mere crafters since 2004. . not mega millionares by others' standards here...no matter for crafter chrs. they are well off. YOU will be TOO.

As you gm that mining SELL the gems you mine up some be 5k a pop some more, ditto lumberjacking not to mention bloodwood and frostwood sell for more...ingots may or may not sell but you yourself will have plenty to use for bods or to sell the higher end ones up, post HERE stuff will sell eventually and your gp will increase. You will be pkd die res killed drylooted and still be able to remake whatever they may take sooooooooo no biggie. :) You are unstoppable when you can recoup everything ya lost by your self. Enjoy and yep set up some vendors in due time your own home plot, till then sell resources right HERE on this forum.

You will be surprised how soon you will no longer be broke and seeing gp checks just cluttering up your bank vault. AND do not be afraid to talk to whomever KILLS you they may be needing what YOU are making ie potential customers every one of em even them that slay ya...may need ye wares. :) Customer service is ye job one, even in ghost form. :)

14. Critical Gaming

Critical Gaming Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

a good way to collect money while you're rotting your skills is to pick up a tailor/blacksmith bod every hour (assuming you're under GM in both of those skills)

tailors sell for 1.5k per reset bod, blacksmiths sell for 2.5k

15. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

This shard absolutely needs crafters. The ones we have are few and are very tired from supplying all our needs.

Welcome to Siege sir.

P.S. Critical Gaming is absolutely correct either BODS or cloth and leathers will make you rich fast.

16. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Just a hint...unless you want some unwanted company. Stay away from the Minoc mines if you refuse to wear a jester hat.

Just sayin...la

17. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

ICQ me and I will give you a blessable bow, welcome to Siege!!

18. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Welcome to Siege! If you get some Ore mined up, you can glady set up a vendor at my shop and sell there. I use to sell alot of Ore and people still ask for it, but it takes all my time playing just keeping all my others vendors stocked. Just a thought to help you get some gold together while gaining skills. Drop me a PM if you want to.

19. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

You guys/gals are all awesome with the advice and offers. I"m afraid though that if I accept something I'm going to miss out on the feeling of getting it on my own, especially a small house, even though it would be stellar to have one right away, that would be the biggest accomplishment one could get on this shard and to always be reminded that it was handed to me instead of earning it; well I'll probably regret it in a month or two, but I'll just do the bank box boogy for now. I'll start collecting BODs right away too. And Rico, I took a couple of shovel fulls of ore out of Minoc but didn't see a soul while there. No headgear right now anyway, so I"m open to wearing a jester hat if needed.....thanks again all...

20. Bruin

Bruin Guest

No need to take any handouts if that is not what you want to do. As a crafter, here would be my suggestions:

To make gold, just pure gold while unskilled, do two things:
    1. Grab low level bods and sell them as others have mentioned.
    2. Shear sheep, makes bolts of cloth, sell bolts of cloth. Bolts of cloth sell for 350-400 gold each - just need to advertise here or in Luna. If you really worked at making cloth, you could easily make 400k in cloth in one week and buy your first home.

What skills to pick and their use:
    1. Tailoring. Leather armour sells well. I can see someone selling runic crafter armour making a killing, because I don't think anyone does it - except for as loot buy backs. Just need to get your own leather or cloth but that isn't hard.
    2. Mining. Useful, will need tinkering to make your own tools. Sell the ingots to other people, good market for that, especially the colored ingots.
    3. Blacksmith. Not very useful. Only real purpose of blacksmiths here are to acquire runic hammers (bronze or higher), use runic hammers, pray they make something good, sell that good item. You could of course sell the hammers as well.
    4. Alchemy. Very useful. Sells well, people use a lot of potions here.
    5. Lumberjack. Useful but not. Good wood sells ok (ash and bloodwood only). But it is so rare, it's almost pointless.
    6. Tinkering. If you're going at it solo, you'll need tinkering to supply all your crafted items above.
    7. Carpentry. Not useful. Only time I've ever used carpentry is once in a while a guildmate buys a new home and asks "Any carpenters on to make me X?"

If you want to see how a vendor mall should be set up and what does well, check out Molly Fydes which is just east of Moonglow gate. Gilfane vendors are also good (just a bit of a walk for me). Most of the vendors around Yew or Luna are for high end items, not your normal crafted stuff.

21. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Shadow and copper hammers are useful too for making samurai mage armour; not as good as Bronze but I have gotten some decent stuff off them.

22. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I've got a little house near a moongate and GZ if you need a place to hang your hat and a little extra storage space. Just til ya can afford your own pad! :)

ICQ 220-571-153

23. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Izzy´s place just east of Umbra is nice as well...

24. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

I'll be damn, you can damn near set your watch to ROT, I had no idea..

25. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

pretty cool, huh?

26. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

**gives Bruin the evil eye** :p;)

Carpentry may not be a rapid gold maker but ............ it does sell or I would not have been hackin trees all this time and time again restockin addons furniture storage chests etc. They all sell out sooner or later. :)

Dontcha put down my lil wee carpenter's skill as no use...cuz someone keeps buying me out of stuffs made via carpentry on this shard time and time again.;)

27. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Garth - You can indeed set your clock by it! Check the link below and download the Eggtimer. Its a little program that you can use for RoT gains. Punch in whatever your intervals are and the alarm will go off and remind you to get your gain. It's pretty handy!

I also use it occasionally when I pop a pizza in the oven so I don't forget about it! lol This game and my addiction to it has caused me to burn all kinds of things!

http://www.elegantpie.com/

28. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

Yeah, so am I correct that once Tinker/LJ/Mining/Carp/Tailor all hit 70, I can simply log in use each skill once/5 minutes,(and I"m assuming it has to be a skill level specific use right? I can't just make a saw at 70 tinker and get a gain right? ) get my .7 on each skill in roughly 35 minutes, then spend the rest of the day actually playing??? If so, that's not bad at all really.

29. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

Is fletching a viable skill here, or again, only for runic crafting?

30. Skill progression isn't just a sign of your age here. Just ask Savage. :p

31. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Yep, thats exactly how it works! Once you reach 70 in your crafting skills, you won't burn nearly as many resources! You might consider doing some of the Heartwood quests for recipes while you're burning resources so they don't go to waste.

Also... Fletching is good for enhancing bows and burning runics. Thats about it.

32. Noc's Clock? *snaps fingers*

33. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

I really do not know about fletching here, my only gm fletcher is on Chesapeake and I seldom use her due to all the fancy bs that players may get droppin off monsters or whatevers and I just didn't feel like spending my life in Heartwood to get a decent wonder tool to make the fletching fletch better bows. :)

With all your skills presently about hitting the 70.0 ROT ya may want to GM one or two at a time then one or two more ie more gains per one skill per day will gm it faster than doing 2 or more to gm all at once.. slower then or seems cuz ya trying to get a few tenths on EVERY skill per day as opposed to all of the ROT gains on one a day.

Tailoring will need 100 arms lore too.

So ya may want to gm your lumberjacking and /or mining first simply cuz high end woods WILL SELL, so will any gems ya get and parasitic plants etc. and mining will be ingots to sell, possibly granite, and those gems ya may mine up too are gold to earn selling it all to others here. Least you will have your own supply line gm'd for ready cash and for flow to your own crafter to have wood and ingots galore then enough to make whatevers or to sell the resources ya get when mining/ lumberjackin are gm'd.

Then gm the rest of em up.