1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I stoped engaging in a lot of High Seas boat based content almost immediatly. Here's why

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Cear Dallben Dragon, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

A big thank you to Pinco. Without his UI I could not explain how tedious and boring it became trying to find other players or NPC boats.
    The red dots on my map are the "tracked" ships my player sees from the boat.
    [​IMG]Please fix this.

2. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Is there a familiar item at each of those red dots? Might help get it fixed if we can figure out what is showing up as a boat.

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I think the problem is that the system looks for any ship - so if it is in statue form in a house - it is still marked. Possibly even the Paragon Marty ship model counts.

4. Cear Dallben Dragon

Mapper, chances are, yes. But i'm in fel and all the homes are private.
    and to Tazar, those are my thoughs exactly. Its as if its just looking for an object and not checking that objects fields to see if its deployed.

5. Cear Dallben Dragon

I just recalled off a moving boat and i'm stuck on the water.

:/

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  6. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

These are ships in houses. I've walked up to one to see what it was.

7. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

yeah, I've reported this bug and the other tracking/high seas bugs already but no fixes since launch still :/

1. using the lines to move from one ship to another while movign often tosses you overboard and you have to use "help stuck" which can take quite some time to get unstuck
    2. ship tracking randomly stops working entirely until you dry dock and re-place your boat....often multiple times per trip
    3. ship tracking finds model ships locked down or in chests in houses yet at the same time, i guess since it has so many "others" nearby will completely not show a pirate ship two screens from you
    4. pirate ships tend to "spaz" out once you get them moving slowly, rapidly flipping around facing all directions making it's cannon fire unavoidable (sometimes hitting you 5-6 times simultaniously while spinning)
    5. other pirate and merchant ships will sit there unmoving in the water and do NOTHING while you sink them
    6. look around the fishing forum for the multitude of problems in how the fishing quests are calculated, like how after you hit certain points your "quest level" goes down considerably (if it were fighting, think like killing a balron, then on respawn a mongbat appears there)

and of course balancing issues like how the light cannons are pretty much useless because it takes damn near 30 shots from them to scuttle a ship (no faster than the heavy cannons too so it takes forever)...and as a nice slap in the face the pirate ships and merchant ships tend to drop nothing but light cannon ammo and powder.

Nimuaq likes this.
  8. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

I have to admit, that's cool how the EC shows you where ships are located.

If memory serves me right, some ships--including Orc ships--cannot be tracked. If some ships cannot be tracked then tracking is pointless as a whole, really. The land ships are, of course, an obvious problem lol...just saying, I always looked at ship tracking as a...guideline more than a rule *puts on Captain's hat.*

Viquire likes this.
  9. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The rum was always gone. WHY?!?

Assia Penryn and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  10. virtualhabitat

virtualhabitat Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

For those interested, if tracking stops working unexpectedly, simply say "stop tracking" and then "start tracking." This should reset the tracker every time. The tracker can only track five ships at one time so if you are in an area with more than five it will skip some.

11. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

I made a single macro that says stop tracking / start tracking for that very purpose.

12. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

unfortunately does not always work, i've had it happen when you say stop tracking that you can NEVER restart it on that ship until drydock, it's just really buggy :/

13. virtualhabitat

Stratics Veteran

I have never had trouble restarting the tracker.
    I have encountered a few ships that are impervious to cannon fire. Once in felucca last summer and just recently I encountered four in Tokuno (three in one day). That was a little annoying.

Other than the ships that can't be scuttled once in a while, I have no problems with the way ships operate.

14. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

have you ever done it while other people are on deck? most of the times it's broken for me was when out with others, but tracking will properly stop when you tell it to start but never start again until after drydock, you get no arrows at all no matter if you start tracking 100 times, cross server lines, whatever, you HAVE to dry dock and replace the ship....it's like it no longer registers as a ship sometimes when you stop the tracking.

15. virtualhabitat

Stratics Veteran

I have done it with others on deck. Boat tracking is sort of weird. anyone on the boat can "start tracking". The trouble is, that once someone does it, no one else can. The track time is about 1 minute. if you or anyone else says "start tracking" before the minute runs out, you only add time to the original point at which you started tracking, it does not renew and start at a new point on the map. You actually have to say stop tracking to get it to renew if you don't want to wait out the original 1 minute timer.

So, consider this scenario
    I am on my boat and I start tracking. there are no other ships in the area so nothing shows up. I continue to say start tracking about every 20 seconds as I sail in any direction. All I am doing is adding time to the timer which began at the origin point where I started the tracking the first time. I will never see any boats on the tracker because it still thinks I am tracking from the original location. same applies if there are other people on the deck. if any of them say start tracking, they control the timer and the stop. if anyone else says start tracking after that, it only adds to the first person's timer.

It would appear, after a while, that tracking is broken because in effect the tracker hasn't moved with the ship. (it's still tracking the empty area)

The solution for multiple people is simple. tell them to keep their mouths shut and let the driver do the tracking!

P.S. in the picture posted by the O.P. there are no orc or merchant ships in that area anyway. Unless he is in fel looking for the odd player ship, he's in the wrong place to be hunting.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  16. Sauteed Onion

If they would just make it more worthwhile to actually go and hunt and kill the pirates (like good loot instead of a bow.. and some arrows, and the occasional white cloth dye tub) I could stomach the bugs. But it's buggy, lackluster in terms of "payoff", and takes a long time to set up for.. also highly inconvenient to dry dock a High Seas ship that's fully loaded out. Some people are like go do Corgul or Osiredon I have plenty, what about Charybdis.. yep there too.

This is my guild taking out Charybdis (very bad recording but eh), note how buggy and strange the fight seems. Like when it summons the massive wave of water elementals the ship we're on just blinks in and out of existence. This is supposedly the pinnacle of the high seas encounters as it requires ALOT of dedication just to get the item to summon the boss up. And the reward is GARBAGE! And some fish meat. meow. Is it too much to ask to fix some of our toys? This is just High Seas, but me solo could go on and on about problems and why I don't play with multiple aspects of the game. And I'm sure other people could too in less mean or silly ways than me. Anyhow, I love UO, it's core ideas and gameplay but this "new" stuff is borderline coffin nails to me. I spend more time gripin on a forum and lookin up obscure details and other problems people report than actually playin the game now. And all it does if frustrate me more. But we got hamsters apologizing for server crashes. I do like hamsters.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  17. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

quote="virtualhabitat, post: 2143952, member: 160561"]I have done it with others on deck. Boat tracking is sort of weird. anyone on the boat can "start tracking". The trouble is, that once someone does it, no one else can. The track time is about 1 minute. if you or anyone else says "start tracking" before the minute runs out, you only add time to the original point at which you started tracking, it does not renew and start at a new point on the map. You actually have to say stop tracking to get it to renew if you don't want to wait out the original 1 minute timer.
    .[/quote]
    Yeah, we figured that out too, problem is that once it glitches i've even gone to bed and tried the next day and tracking still won't restart, there's literally no way to get it to start working again without drydock, it's like it gets confused and thinks the other person is still tracking so it won't let you start it again :/ Guildmates have been with me when i showed the bug too, so I'm not the only one who's seen it, it's like the tracking is bound to both the person and the ship and when something goes wrong the only way to "reset" is to dock the ship.

18. Sauteed Onion