1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I want item insurance on SIEGE!!

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by nightstalker22, Jul 16, 2009.

1. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

No, not THAT insurance.

A whole new insurance system.

Take an item to the appropriate NPC ( sword to weaponsmith, bracelet to jeweler, etc... ), and pay them to insure the item.

Once insured, the one who insured the item will be able to see that it is insured on mouseover, but nobody else can.

Upon death, your items may be looted same as it is now, except the looter may return the item to the proper NPC and see if they can collect a finders fee for it ( which would be 50 - 75% of the insurance fee paid ).

You may go to the proper NPC and see if your insured item has been found, and retrieve it.

The looter may decide to keep it and wear it, but those with high forensic evaluation skill may discover that it is stolen property, you turn grey to them and are freely attackable. If they kill you, they can claim the finders fee for themselves.

Or possibly call guards who will arrest you, take the stolen items, and throw you in Yew Prision.

Any comments or suggestions for improvements?

2. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

almost like the bounty system

3. Daleth

Daleth Guest

Nicely thought out, better than I could've done. It would add a new aspect to the game.

4. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

The Insurance Man npc...well...it might be nice... but I bet it would be a
    bookkeepers nightmare...it might be better just to have that turn in guy and
    keep a person keeping that insured item stay grey until he does turn it in.
    *stares*
    Yahaxithonix

5. Bruin

Bruin Guest

I like where you're going with this, making forensic more useful and forcing those who have previously done bad acts towards you as grey, i just think it's a little complex - and difficult to program.

6. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah each item might be difficult to track. However, if they could encorperate a new "owned by" system. For which you can tag an item yours, and upon someone else using it or having it in thier pack (via snoop), or armed, you can attack for wearing something not thiers. That might work better than incorporating an NPC.

But instead maybe use Item ID.

As far as forensics. Im not sure how its supposed to work in the new system, or how it works now. But if you come across a body (blue healer, player char etc) and you use forensics. maybe there should be a skill check to detect the killer, thus making them grey to you for say 20 game hours (or about 20 mins?). Which if you find the killer, you gain in say justice?

Introduce 120 Forensics. At 100 you can tell who did the crime, at 110 you have better success. Only 2 attempts per body. at 120, you know every time, and have a slight chance to tell the method of death. (poison, melee, magic), and thus you are looking for the attack while hunting this person down. And your poison resist is like pedals, or your DCI is higher, or maybe your magic resists are temp higher against the attacker.

Not sure how tough it would be to code some of these things. Just ideas

7. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

I don't think it would be difficult to program. They easily added a vendor penalty fee to items, it would be the same.

Fornesics is one of the most useless skills currently, and I have several ideas for its improvement....as I have stated in previous posts about detecting blue murderers with less than 5 counts, causing them to turn grey to you too.

One of the issues with the system as I was thinking further on it, is that people could bait you in town. Insure an item and drop it on the ground in Luna, whoever unsuspectingly picks it up and equips it could have forensics used on them by the baiter, and be freely attacked because they are now grey to them.

Another trick to be wary of is buying stolen goods from a vendor.

The system will need more thought, but it can be made solid and published!

Another issue I discovered was the amount of insurance paid. What could motivate someone to pay a higher insurance rate for the item, when they aren't guarenteed to ever get the item back? Why pay 1000 gold to insure it when you could pay 600?

The incentives would have to be that the more you pay for insuring it, the lower the forensics skill needed to detect the item as stolen, thereby increasing the chance that the item will eventually be returned to you, unless it was cut up on the battle field or trashed! :p

8. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

I dont like the "owned by tag", but I do like the item ID skill requirement.

Each item should carry with it hidden information, just like its insured status. If the hidden information says, "looted", then the person would definately turn grey when forensics is used, but if it says "bought", then you would just be reprimanded by the guards for recieving stolen property, unknowingly of course.

The Item ID skill could be used with forensics to increase the chance to detect blood splatter on the item, indicating it was gained by murder.

What other ways could Item ID be used?

I think there should be a justice guild too, like there is an NPC thief guild. Justice guild players can arrest thieves.

9. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Not the same!!!!

My insurance system would be fun and profitable.

I am sitting on two houses full of looted goods that I will never use, it would be nice if I could turn them into a little cash while cleaning out my lockdown space.

10. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Get a vendor or smelt them... *grumbles*

11. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

If your in factions and you kill someone with an insured item. I do not think it would be fair to turn that person gray for a legitimate kill.

Also, why would anyone insure the item in the first place? Theres only a 50 to 75% finders fee for what? The only way that that would work is if it got looted and could only be used by the owner (same thing as the faction "owned by crap.") You, skipped over that key part.

And who in the hell wants that on regular gear?

The only way I would see insurance tolerable is if you could insure (1 or more?) item(s) from being stolen from thieves. If a thief steals that item, after 2 minutes it automatically goes back into the owners pack. Thief gets the insurance (ransom) money. No auto renew to give a good thief a real opportunity. Stealing insured item(s?) makes the thief perma grey to the insurer.

Also, a good idea would be to only allow it's context menu activated when it's within x amount of tiles of an NPC in one of the shops in a city (Provisioner?) or in a players public home via NPC (like a barkeep.)

Forensic eval detects perma gray. Those who have forensic can also attack perma gray thieves. The level of Forensic eval needs to = the stealing for the person to have that ability. Add +20 powerscroll to the spawn. Allow the bounty hunter to chop up body of thief and turn in head for reward bounty hunter can only chop up body if he kills the thief. The level of the thief depends on how many he's stolen from without being caught. To added incentive... the thief receives rewards from stealing from more players. Such as increased %chance success rate for no guard in town steals and monster stolen booty.

:D

As a suggestion.

12. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I sorry, but now I think this is too much like insurance on Trammel side...
    drop the idea.
    *stares*
    Yahaxithonix

13. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

My ears are bleeding! I never thought I would see the day when Siegers discuss item insurance with a serious face and actually talk about "how to make insurance better". This is truly a sad day in Siege history. What happen to siege? Hell, what happen to us? :(

14. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Real world insurance compensates you with money to replace the insured item, so you could possibly buy another one ( if it isnt a priceless heirloom ).

That system couldn't work in a game. People would let their friends kill and loot them so they could collect the money, then get the same items back and repeat, making billionaires in a short while.

The system I am talking about is more like the old bounty system.
    It is more like product registration than it is insurance. Go to the pawn shop and find your stolen guitar by the serial number, get it back while the police go after the one who pawned it.

There is no guarentee that you ever get your item back, it may sit in my house in a chest for years, it may be worn and get looted by spawn, it may be smelted/cut up, trashed...

You pay money to insure the item, only for the chance that you may get the item back at some point in the future. It adds more consequences for the thief and looter, always having to beware that someone might arrest or kill them for their deeds of old. That's really what I intended with the idea, as I don't think anyone really wants a 2,000 gold suit back, I think they would insure it to punish the thief/looter.

It would make the game more exciting and interactive with this system, especially if they had a justice or police type NPC guild, to counter the thief. The detective template would be fun again.

15. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Why not? Because the faction gear makes it an unfair fight? Don't steal or loot, or be ready to pay the consequences. The honest man has nothing to worry about.

It is for role playing purposes.

Boooo! The intent is not to protect you from ever losing items! That system is in trammel. The intent of my system is to punish the thief.

16. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

That doesn't protect you from ever losing items to thieves. Where did you read that? On top of that, even if you die with an insured item... it doesn't return it to you. My insurance suggestion is only to add a mini-game to Thieving.

It allows you protect yourself from being stolen from ONCE. The farther you are away from a public house or town with an NPC, the more impossible it is for you to insure an item.

I also left it open for debate how many items you could insure. I personally think 1, but I can see how awesome this would be if people could insure anything down to apples, candlesticks and runes.

Finally, there is no auto-renew. So once you as a thief steal the item... if you get away with it (2 minute timer expires) and the item goes back to the owner... you can go back and try to steal it again without any restrictions.

you also get insurance money as a thief... and honestly I think the cost to insure should be ridiculous... like on the lines of 20k gold per item insured. Thief gets 1/2 and 1/2 goes to the thiefs "bounty" for successfully stealing it.

An adept thief could navigate this system and come out with better stealing abilities, the item he/she was going after, perma gray status and a bounty on their head.

Not to mention this would bring out a new "Bounty Hunter" class of characters who use and rely on Forensic Eval.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Finally to your ridiculous claim about factions. I join factions to fight and kill other factioners. It's a part of the game and if I legitamately kill another factioner then I shouldn't be punished for it.

Period.

17. Fanta(Siege)

Fanta(Siege) Guest

:wall: I like siege just how it is... Lets keep it like it is... :p