1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I'd like to hear more about the Artwork Changes

Discussion in 'UO Developer Feed' started by UODevTracker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. UODevTracker

UODevTracker Guest

2. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

As Dermott mentioned, the art changes will be just environment artwork. We're not updating animations anytime soon.

We've actually made some terrific inroads, there are still some technical hurdles, but that's to be expected when you're converting assets designed as 2D into 3D objects so that we can then turn around and render them in such a way to pull out the 3D-ness. Fun, fun!

- Grimm

3. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Nope. No, and no.

This conversion to 3D models is just a way to bring these legacy assets into the 21st century. It's also a great way to preserve the classic UO look and feel. I really don't know what's going on with that Netdragon client, but I do know that we're not contributing art assets to it.

-Grimm

4. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

+1

Oh there is so much I'd love to do, it's all about finding the bloody time.

-Grimm

5. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Well, there are still a lot of things that we need to fix, and other more immediate priorities at the moment. But we wouldn't want to put out screenshots of stuff that still looks broken- that just wouldn't get us off on the right foot, now would it?

-Grimm

6. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Sure thing. So basically I'm approaching the high res artwork from the standpoint of this: Legacy artwork, just in 3D. This means that the "Look" of the high res tiles are going to be identical to Legacy client, even though the actual art might be slightly different. So playing the legacy client and the EC client is going to feel like the same game, only when you zoom in, things will not get as blurry.

We're handling this update in pieces, housing tiles and a little terrain work were the first on the list, so you'll be seeing those first. As for how they compare to the UOKR stuff, well the housing stuff doesn't look like the KR stuff. I couldn't even use the UOKR stuff because, well honestly the guy who set those assets up was way better than I was about materials and lighting, and had a far more complicated setup. Since then I've rewritten the entire environment art pipeline so that getting these assets in the game is easier than it ever has been. And I've kept the setup for these assets as simple as possible. I mean, it's already pretty complicated without me adding complex lighting schemes and whatnot. So I'm just trying to keep things simple for future artists.

Anything I miss?

-Grimm

7. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

LOL. Thanks for bringing THAT up again...

-Grimm

8. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Ahh I see what you're saying. No, we're not "remaking" the EC terrain tiles from the Legacy ones. So don't worry about that.

-Grimm

9. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

LOL. And some days it feels like that!

- Grimm

10. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Ok, so here's and explanation:
    So you can think of a pixel as a dot of color that all images are made of.
    All the walls and housing tiles that were added when UO first came out was created in a paint program like Photoshop. They were created at a spacific size to fit the technical requirements of the game. These images were made to be something like 44 pixels across (I can't remember off the top of my head, it's still early and I haven't had my coffee yet!). This means that these images look thief best when they take up that many pixels on your computer screen. If you zoom into the screen, causing these images to take up more room on the screen than the number of pixels that comprise the image, the computer has to compensate for this in a couple of ways. The first way is by just multiplying the size of image by how much larger the image is being displayed than the images actual size it passes this scale on to the pixels in the image. So instead of a pixel only taking up a single dot, it's now taking up 4 (if you were zoomed in twice as close). I'll continue this in a bit, coffees on!

-Grimm

11. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

LOL - Yea, that little change is courtesy of my good friends at Stratics. LOL.

- Grimm

12. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Hey! We're looking to re-establish the KR resolutions.

- Grimm

13. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

ROFL. I have no idea how to respond to that!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

-Grimm

14. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Well, plants and trees are definitely on the list of to do's. My goal is to use as much stuff from UOKR as possible and where appropriate. I really can't say what they (trees, etc.) will look like until I get into them, but I would really like to keep the level of detail that those assets had.

-Grimm

15. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Yes, I believe the current plan is to make these graphics optional.

-Grimm

16. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Our (art) goal is just a cosmetic update, I'm unsure that this will have any impact on the things you mentioned.

- Grimm

17. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Well, this tread is about hearing more about the Artwork changes, so I'm going to stick to that topic. The graphical updates serve a much larger purpose than just giving players high resolution graphics. Not that that's not a big enough win by itself. But there are some internal wins for doing this as well.

-Grimm