1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Idea for tweaking mage field spells

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Sunseri, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

I am a big user of the field spells offered through magery, but I feel that one spell specifically could use a tweak. It's the fire field spell. There's nothing wrong with that spell per say, but I'd like to have the option to change out the elemental damage for that spell. If I am hunting dragons in destard, fire is the last element I want to toss at them. I would like to be given the option to change up the elemental damage from fire to the other elements. I personally think that ice/cold field spells would be sweet. We could also have energy fields(that don't block), poison fields that only do poison elemental damage, physical damage field spell of some sort. Blade barrier perhaps?
    I wouldn't think this would have any balance issues because the field spells would have the same damage parameters as the fire spell, but just offered in different elements.

2. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm not too sure on the changes to let you select the damage type on the firefield...but there are plenty of outdated spells in the spellbook that could be replaced with the field spells you are talking of. My wish for them would be that they change the straight lline of firefield/poison field...make em a block, like you see when you toss a greater conflag potion.

Magery as a whole needs to be tweaked, we have been left out in the cold as far as damage and usefulness. A pure mage is pretty much useless now, its all about mystic and weaving, and whatever.

BrianFreud likes this.
  3. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

What magery spells would you discard in favor of new field spells?

4. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

There are a whole lot of dead spells in the lower circles, but I would assume these need to be mid level like poison field and fire field are now. Off the top of my head, mana drain, arch protection, and mind blast come to mind real quick. While a few may still use them, I wouldnt think it would be many.

5. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

Hmm maybe that would work, but I'd rather see the field spells made the same way as the weapon enchantment spell that mystics have. Maybe not as clumsy as that spell is to cast, but something that would allow me to set up a macro so I may drop down a large area of fields quickly.

6. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Mind Blast is the only Cold damage spell that Mages have, other than Harm (which requires you to be at point blank range for it to be any good). Mind Blast is also unique in the fact that it's damage isn't based on your Eval INT, but on your Magery, INT and SDI. However, Mind Blast also isn't affected by Slayer Spellbooks, unfortunately.

7. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Yeah, definitely leave mind blast - only damage spell for my tamer, and my mystic disco bard also uses it a lot

8. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Mind Blast is the main self defense spell my Crafters have since they have no Evaluate Intelligence skill, I put those points into another crafting skill.

9. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Mages need a splintering field :)

10. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

I'd rather see all the existing spells kept, but there be some discovery of 9th and 10th circle spells. It's pitiful when my fully-suited true mage can kill something in 5 minutes that a paladin kills in 10 seconds.

11. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

I think if any spells would get the ax it would be harm, clumsy, weaken, feeble mind, summon creature and maybe incognito. I would rather see the fire field spell itself changed up so I can choose any of the five elements that would be best fitting for the situation.

12. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Wut. Get rid of those 4? No way. People do still duel, and those are four of the most used spells, due to how easy they make it to interrupt. Same in the field, someone can spam them to prevent you from healing/escaping while others kill you.

13. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Clumsy, feeble mind, weaken really have no point other than fizzle spells. Curse does all the real stat altering that matters..they are just placement spells. They used to have a purpose. Now it's just fizzlers:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

Reread the second sentence that you quoted. I would rather have the fire field changed to work like the mystic's weapon enchantment spell, but just not as clumsy to cast.

Speaking on the subject of tweaking mage spells, I'd also like to see explosion and flamestrike get the same change. Energystrike, Icestrike, Poisonstrike(just elemental damage), and a physical strike that is similar to bombard is what I'd like to see.

15. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You sure that wouldnt kill the spells for most of us? Cast FS, before targetting have to click the damage you want in a popup box, then target?

If thats what is on the table, I don't like it :p

16. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

But they're still used. Strength, Agility, Cunning? Nobody uses them - Bless does the same thing, but for all 3 stats. Mass Curse and Arch Protection? Why do they exist?

17. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

They aren't really useful. I don't think of an application post-pub 16 where I used any of those spells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

That's why I am saying that it should be along the same lines as the weapon enchant spell but without the window we get. An in-game macro that would be like this.
    *Cast spell > Ice Strike > Last Target/Next Target

19. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

This. ^