1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest! On January 27th Stratics will be brought down for an extended maintenance period. This period may take upwards of 12 hours to complete. Please check the thread in the Announcements forum for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea of merging some shards. What do you think ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Eros, May 28, 2010.

1. Eros

Eros Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Now I have gotten bored for there isnt that much of a population left on my shard anymore. I believe there are lots of players who are also bored or becoming bored on the lower populated shards. They should merge a few of the lower populated shards together in order to try and keep the interest of the players on these shards. Some may say there could be a housing issue if this is done. But I am thinking all they have to do is make the lands big enough to be able to fit all the houses in or around the same areas as they were before the merge. Oh, i almost forgot they would need to get rid of all the houses that are on inactive accounts before the merge. That would make more room for these merged shards.

I would like to know what other players think about doing this ?

2. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

This has been suggested way back, even before LA was created. There are far too many shards for the existing and dwindling population.

With that said, you'll never get the community to agree to it because people love the pixels they have horded over the years and won't want to lose them if shards were merged. Personally, I think it would do the population a lot of good. But with the threats of quitting if anything like that was done, would probably keep the developers from approving that type of move...la

3. eekamouse

eekamouse Guest

Better solution. Start offering shard transfers for all characters on your account instead of charging per character.

It's easy to box up your house and bank 90% of the stuff. Transfer everyone. Then go and buy a new house on the market.

And maybe to incentivize(sp?), let people on low pop shards transfer to med and high pop shards for... *gasp* free.

So, if you are on Napa or Baja, you can transfer to GL or Sonoma or w/e for free. All characters.

If you want to transfer from Sonoma to Atlantic, you pay $30, once. And you can move all characters.

4. Well, I don't want to merge and have a busier server. My server population has grown lately because people are sick of high pop servers where it is cut throat and crowded. I moved from Atlantic because I hated how crowded it was.

So, if they merge the servers, I will see how it goes for a month, but that would probably be it for me.

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*chuckles* Choice is pretty cool. 'eh?

6. Eros

Eros Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, it would get expensive to be charged per character transfer. I wouldnt mind seeing a package deal like that. I would pay $50 for a 5-character transfer.

7. Not only do you need to get rid of inactive acct houses, but also (get ready to scream oldtimers) grandfathered houses as well. Everyone would have to follow the one house per acct rule. That would open up space in the old lands of fel and tram for new peeps.

Instead of tokens for transfer, set up gates (similar to what I've seen on test center) that sends you to another shard (no charge for voluntary transfers AT ALL!) You will need to keep these open for several months on all the shards that would be closing. Let the player demolish his current house on closing shard to a deed and take with him to new shard for placement (same size house). This deed would allow placement in the many stretches of unused land in malas, lost lands, tok, etc. Only those with a deed can place there. (castles and keeps must be allowed there too) Transfers are one-way, of course. Deeds cannot be traded. The only shards you cannot transfer to would be Seige (unless only transfering one char) and any shard that would be closing.

Atlantic (my home shard) is the ONLY shard I ever see listed as high population. There are typically only 4 or 5 that merit a medium status. Closing of shards will happen at some point, and if its done right- UO will emerge a stronger game. Time will tell, of course....but I'm prolly totally wrong.

8. Eros

Eros Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I really do like your idea. My house right now is in a prime location. But, I would be willing to give that prime location up in order to be able to place in unused land on a higher populated shard.

9. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Yes, to free tokens, no to the absolutely ridiculous idea of using Gates...

10. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

No thanks. I'll cry if my pixels are threatened. I prefer my low pop shard.

11. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

How about this idea you pick a more populated shard, and start a new character maybe one where you wont have to have many resources to begin with something like a paladin warrior. This way you will have 2 shards to play on if you get bored with one or the other.

12. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

This solution is easy for some random player that inhabits a borg cube out in the middle of the wilderness.

What about some of the historic player run towns that have been around for a decade or more? The seer blessings? Historical sites?

13. Shard contracture is probably inevitable. The best solution, would be get rid of all grandfathered housing on the destination shards, block all house placement for existing players on that shard, and then open a transfer window of x number of days. During that time, players from the shard being closed would be able to transfer back and forth, freely, as many times as necessary to transfer their belongings and find a new housing spot. Also, the time limit on houses dropping on inactive accounts needs to drop to 45 days.

It sucks...but it is probably going to eventually happen, so the best way for Mythic to deal with it would be to make things as easy as possible for those affected, and announce it way in advance.

14. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I agree with morganas approach if its going to happen, but if we are looking at that then the last thing we need is new shards created!
    unless you created a new empty shard then allowed people to move their and settle fresh before closing the old ones

15. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

:bdh:

No way could it be done and even make 80% (applying the 80/20 rule here) of the population happy.

16. Without derailing the thread into the discussion of a ________ Shard, I was only referring to existing shards (Siege/Mugen not included).

17. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Hold the phone!

First off many of the shards you think of as "EMPTY" are not. Just because you dont see many sitting idle in Luna or at Brit bank does not mean a shard is void of people. I own homes on 11 shards you cant see me on all 11 at once kiddo... but i do play UO ALOT! And I am not alone!!!!

Many players dont sit idle at the bank, they have work to do (rl and in game). Yes all things must be done in moderation EVEN UO! I for one play over 15 shards and yes I do have grandfathered homes as do many others So dont base dormant houses on dead accounts alone many you will find are grandfathered and do have owners who are active. I who am over 150 months old find it ironic that you base the need to close shards down on non seeing of players yet dont help bring in more players to populate them.

" IF " a shard is under used an the base population is only a handfull, including a small amount of homes I could see a merger with a like shard which is not so far fetched if done right. I know you all will yell foul at the idea but to do this they would need to reinstate houseing to one house per account per shard. This would allow those to merge smoothly to the remaining "Established" shard. All Grandfathered accounts pertaining to this merger on the shard to be merged would only need to be "moved" if they pertain to multi house ownership on the shard (as I have of a few shards). I am sure with the DEV and GM's UO has a way to secure these few houses to the serviving shard would not be too hard.

To be frank we dont need to remove shards the servers are not strained, houseing is not needed (even on atlantic there is room). This thread is moot at this time till we have a major population loss of the existing players. Then it wont just be shards that go. EA will put UO to rest.

18. Like I said...I don't want to see shards closed. I don't want to see players forced to move. But I can guarantee it will happen before the game is closed for good...unless something drastic happens.

19. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Take it easy folks. This idea gets tossed around every so often. I do not foresee this happening anytime soon. Just something to discuss every now and again.

20. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Olcher reread stuff kiddo I think you got the wrong impression most of us would protect your grandfathered homes silly goose!

21. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

LOL
    This was a bad idea the first 1,345,999,846 times it was mentioned. And it remains a bad idea.
    You want on a more active shard??? Move to one!
    Leave my shard alone tho...
    Seriously, the servers those shards are runnin on are long paid for, I would imagine. Does it really cost that much to maintain???
    *shakes head*

22. shulginist

shulginist Guest

I would like if the moongates took you to not just your locations but a sister shards locations that you were paired up to as well. Shard pairings would be based on the rough numbers of characters that play on each shard such as most populated with the least and so on and so forth.

Obviously Atlantic wouldn't be paired up with a Great Lakes or Pacific but with the least populated shard if any. Would help the lesser populated shard have more access to buying goods and finding groups to hunt with and would help Atlantic with some open housing plots. Then could pair up the second most populated shard with the second least populated and go down the list from there.

This idea has probably been brought up a dozen times in the past and been shot down for numerous reasons but I thought it would be cool if something along these lines happened.

23. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Mythic has made clusters in DaoC ( mutiple servers grouped in one but housing is sperate) and warhammer online they just has us xfer chars for free to certain servers. So the big question is....why wouldnt they do it to UO? It does help with less populated servers.

24. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Separate housing servers sounds kinda cool, but then, how would the servers distinguish from the guy that lives just outside the luna gate on GL, from the guy that lives just outside the Luna gate on LA, if they merged. :gee:

25. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Hell I don't have a grandfathered unit but *I* think it's not a good idea!

Some of us on the 1-only rule don't want it any more than you do!

26. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Here is an idea. Start advertising the game (even free online games can afford to spam their product all over the net). Rebuild the webpage from scratch so that it comes across as professional. Streamline the new player process. Bill the game as embracing both completely open PvP (Darkfall Crowd) and consensual only PvP (Warcraft Crowd). Crafting (EverQuest Crowd), Gardening (Farmville Crowd), etc.

Repopulate the servers and the game rather than merging them. This game has alot of appeal; but most people don't even know it still exists.

I'm not against merging servers. I've had the same thought several times. But I can't imagine how they're going to protect the player run cities and historic establishments of each shard by merging. This isn't like most games (i.e. WoW) where each server is a carbon copy of the others.

What happens to the Mage Towers? The old seer blessed establishments? Those are the major concerns I have.

27. I would imagine that by the time shard contracture becomes necessary, those would have been long abandoned.

A lot of people in this thread are getting all worked up...I don't think anyone has suggested that shards be merged any time soon. Personally, I think that this game could have some time left...if the devs make the right choices.

28. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I do agree, I was just having fun with you :)

29. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*stares* Fun? Is that allowed?

30. roninaxx

roninaxx Journeyman

I have played almost since inception, I have kept my smaller houses because I like having multi houses per shard. just because most of you opted for bigger houses and lost the grandfather clause or you are too new to remember how fighting to place and keep a house in the days when you lost your key you lost your house was does not give you the right to say I should l be forced to give up houses on several shards after years of refreshing and defending my property.
    I usually find these post amusing but even though I don't follow the gimp temp of the month I have close to 50k in murder counts collectively on 5 shards . i have played order and chaos and the new 4 faction system and will probably play the new faction system if they put it live.
    Take my houses and I will go on a murder rampage that will make server down fight look like tramel, any other long time players feel the same way? I will raid and kill untill left alone or given my property back.
    And no this stratics account does not reflect my game age , its my 4th.

31. Good luck with that.

32. Cadderly

Cadderly Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

God forbid if we actually had no choice but to communicate with other players.

Will never happen but would love to see shards disapear. One at a time, the two smallest shards adjoined nobody is gonna loose pixels, the five most dead shards joined they still only be comparable to pac, gl, and baja... maybe atl.

Hell I say wipe all but 4 or 5 out and lets see what happens!

33. adester

adester Guest

I don't think anyone should lose their shards, pixels, or houses.
    Maybe like someone else suggest is open a gate somewhere. Next to the Luna gate? That Connect to other small local shards (west coast with west coast east with east etc.) around that one where your character can go back and forth to and play with others or trade. It could liven some pvp and some pve.
    The only problem could be with server down times and get stuck on a shard etc.

34. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran

I used to have grandfathered houses until rl made it difficult to keep refreshing them (damn real life) so I understand how unacceptable getting rid of grandfathered houses would be to the grandfathered owners. And rightfully so. They were here from the very beginning. They earned those houses through years of loyalty. Loyalty in my book deserves it's rewards.

I'm not sure how gates would work. Don't transfer tokens take like an hour to move a char? I'm pretty sure when you're transfered you're being deleted from one shard and being rewritten into another. I can't see a gate doing that.

Best solution imho, is the idea of a transfer token package so that those who want to be on a higher pop shard may do so and those who enjoy the leisure of a low pop shard may continue to do so.

Personally, I love my low pop shard. There's hardly any lag here.

35. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I really hate the thought of merging shards. If it bothers you(the op),move to a more populated shard. You have that choice right now.

Why the hell should anyone have to move because you or anyone else are just lazy?

36. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie

Do what WoW does (one of the only good ideas in the game) - allow free xfers from high population shards to low ones.

37. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

The idea of losing old established player towns, EM built locations, and all the other (largely valued for the memories they stir) things relating to our UO 'lives' means that if you ever saw a server merge, you would also see a loss of players since quite a few of us would consider our connection to the game had been cut. It's not about 'pixel crack' for quite a few folks, thank you, even if it suits some to assume that is all that prevents some of us wanting to follow the 'merge shards' idea.

What might be possible, should be possible, and would probably be a pretty good and profitable idea for EA/Mythic is to create a couple of new servers that you can gate your characters across to, and back from, from any existing shards, and have things people really want (whether it's items to get, stuff to hunt, new places to explore, open PvP, whatever you fancy) accessible on those new 'shards'. Yes, they need to sort out the potential 'duping' issues from folks transferring to other shard, and make sure the transfers work smoothly and simply - but that would keep pretty much everyone happy, since you could have what you have now, or something new, or a mix of the two, to your heart's content.

I don't think that would need anyone to pay for a 'transfer token', it should be sufficent incentive to keep people, bring back a few more ex-players, and keep the revenue for UO healthy. Of course, EA/Mythic might well choose to make access a microtransaction since lately they seem to be getting desperate about their overall EA cashflow, but there's no way they could really justify anything like the costs of transfer tokens as they stand at present.

Just hope they never go down the 'merge shards' idea unless they know how many people they would lose in the process, and as Morgana says it's something you'd likely only see if they have really decided the game is dead and are starting the rundown towards final closure.

38. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Its took me 11 years to get my castle the way i want it, now you want me to move? I would need the option of up-lifting my castle as it is, and re placeing it, as it is on another shard.

Anyhow i like the idea of not having to fight every man and his drgaon to get the loot i want. Europa is quite but i like it that way

39. Yalp

Yalp Guest

Hey great idea! Drop your house on your existing shard and transfer what you can hold to Atlantic! plenty of peeps there and I'm sure the lagfest can be made into some celebrated UO holiday!

40. Yalp

Yalp Guest

Um.. do you think there would be "UNUSED" land on a highly populated shard? This is the very definition of an oxymoron. I live on Baja.. I have 2 houses that are right next to the zento moongate.. So whoever has those spots on Atlantic.. sorry you'll have to demo your house so I can put mine up in those spots. And it's for me and me alone, no one from Lake Austin or Origin better try to get my spots....what's that you say? those are your spots? I think NOT! Those peeps who own the SA dungeon houses, guess what.. drop em now so we can put Baja's houses in those spots. Fel Yew gate.. best move your houses out.. cause Baja's residents get first priority. Those special Baja player run towns.. hey.. we keep those too.

Oh and hey those days when I want to go out on my own and do my own thing.. I expect the masses to clear out so I can farm a mini-spawn on my own, or work my training up. Of course when I choose to go out with my friends, en mass, and other players want to join in for some pvp action.. we'll let's just say, the lag is a nightmare for me now.. I expect the unwashed masses who have transfered from other shards to stay out of it. We have longstanding history/alliances and feuds we are settling.. the rest of you stay out of it.

41. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend

Yea!...unwashed masses!

Yalp knows the score *nods*

42. Yalp

Yalp Guest

Yes yes! Because those who LOVE to charge bucku millions in gold to get rich just love coming to Baja and robbing us of our goods to take back to Atlantic to make themselves rich.

Yes Yes! Because on Baja we NEVER get anything ...we just run around in our tattered leather armor, our broken and dull blades, Scrounging around looking for a straight shaft that we could maybe make into an arrow.

Yes yes.. Being paired with the great Altantic society would sure help us cave dwelling neanderthals on Baja. Heck.. we hear tale of great and powerful beings such as Mel, or the unimaginable beast Stygian Dragon.. and what of this open warfare some make on others? Do they use a special blend of rocks to beat each other on the head? Or will any rock do? Please please please.. bring us your enlightened knowledge oh great Atlantians!

43. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

it costs too much $ to move shards. char transfers should be $5 per char

44. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The problem Yalp that Baja is pretty dead. Want to deny it? We have one of the worst vendor situations I have seen on any shard. Luna vendors have gone drastically down hill the past 5 months. Community isnt what it used to be like either. If Baja hardcore quit denying and being greedy with the table scraps then things may change. Did you ignore the great xfer fest a few months back? Some went to GL, some to Atl, and some to cats. sad thing is people are still xfering. We dont get many xfers unless they plan to farm the shard. So to fix the issues with these less populated shard would be a shard merger and housing lands so that only xfers to the new lands would have access on all housing facets. Sorry we dont own our pixels. EA/Mythic does and they can do what they want in the end.

45. Jesusislord

Jesusislord Guest

They need to remove character transfer tokens. They do nothing but cause more problems for the population of the game that just wants to play. But I guess they probably make more money on those than on the actual subscription fees..

They can't merge the servers. The number of servers when this game was at it's peak seemed good.. it was impossible to place a house back in the day on any shard I played. But then they ruined the game for a lot of people, stopped advertising (if they ever did in the first place) and just let this game go down-hill with poor customer service, allowing exploits to exist for years on end, not banning people anymore for using unapproved third party programs. (They used to, UOE comes to mind and this was over 10 years ago).

Basically, the way the game was made cannot support a server merge. Too many people will be upset. But you'd think, with all the other stupid decisions they've made over the years, and their complete inaction against all forms of cheating and the various things they've done that made people quit.. doing a server merge would be right down their alley.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.. but back when they banned people for exploiting, running 3rd party programs, etc, this game had like a billion times more active players. Heck, they used to ban people for saying outright offensive things to other players.. not anymore.

Anyways.. no they can't merge the servers. But at this point I wouldn't be surprised it they did.

46. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

People are going to get upset when it happens, but I do see it happening. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective to keep a bunch of shards open that are slowly dying.

I also can't agree anymore with the argument that shards should be kept open for the history. Not only does it not work for the above stated reasons but those people who spout off this excuse seem so stuck on it that they forget that something new can be created, but nothing worthwhile will be created on a dead shard. Sorry but I don't care abou a bunch of buildings that arent used anymore, create something new. I myself enjoy over populated shards where people can be found everywhere, it's a mmo for gods sake, if you don't like seeing people play a regular rpg. The more people on a shard, the more chances for community.

I honestly look forward to this event. The sooner the better imo. People will cry, people will threaten to quit, but to hell with it. If someone can't see why this will sooner or later have to happen than they just can't see reason.