1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Idea to mitigate potential imbalance of artifacts...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Uvtha, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Personally I love the new arti's I think it's terribly refreshing to have a group of items actually worth pursuing for the first time since they introduced aprons/talismans, but some people were gettin a bit testy about it, so I had a thought:

Artifacts should have two versions. A good but unimpressive "regular" version and a sooped up "unlocked" version. The comparison in power can be easily displayed in the before and after Eodon artifacts.

So how do you "unlock" an artifact, and what does that mean? Set up an npc, that npc will for a fee unlock the hidden potential in any artifact taking the old item and upgrading it to the more powerful version... but the cost is that the magic becomes unstable, rendering the object cursed/antique.

That way you can have handy useful items forever, or potentially OP items only so long as you can keep them/they fall apart.

Probably not an idea most will like, but it seems like a nice thematic solution to me.

2. Gamer_Goblin

If they wanted it to be cursed or antique then they would have made it that way.

Artifacts have been just deco for too long IMO.

Dot_Warner, Spock's Beard and Parnoc like this.
  3. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I like the concept, but personally dont think its needed.

ive gone over the new arties and the only one that is really any more powerful than what we already have is the mage staff, the ssi conjurer's trinket, and the robe (if your a mage). mage sandles are a minor boost, but not a gamechanger. just a small addition to the power creep overall.

conjurers trinket is such a small amount thats its really only a very small boost in an extremely high end suit. ssi is so easy to get now definitely not a gamebreaker. the slayer on the other hand kinda is. im sure the pricetag will be very high (especially since people wont be buying 1, theyll be buying 6) so the regular / vvv version will still be a cost effective option.

The other ones just allow for more options. easier to add in higher intensity items, but the actual arty is lighter. take the hci / dci boots. works out to be overall lighter than 4 stat. the new apron is weaker than the crimson, but allows for a 210 stam to be made with non-10 stam parts.

I dont see any artifact really being "godly" except the mage staff, and the robe (for mages at least. for dexters its heavy than con garb, but also harder to fit in)

Still very disappointed in the cloak. i cant see poison eater being a valuable mod at all. its a bit lack-luster for dexters, but may be useful for mages as a replacement for rangers cloak if you really need the 5sdi but dont need the 5 kinetic eater.

Some of them are still of course worthless. the paladin sword.... still what a shame lol. but i guess it wouldnt be UO if there wasnt at least some items that just made you :facepalm:

Mages were favored heavily, which perhaps is needed as dexters have been king of pvm and basic pvp for some time now.

BrianFreud likes this.
  4. cobb

cobb Journeyman

I think all the mages will use the new robe since its the best possible option for that slot.

My concern is that all the mages will look the same with the new robe on. Personally I think the robe is rather ugly and I don't like how it covers up the head slot. I would like it if there were other options for it such as the epaulette.

Smoot likes this.
  5. King Greg

King Greg Seasoned Veteran

The artifacts are fine in total "Weight" When compared to their Counterparts.

Only oddball is the Mage Weapon, and honestly when i get disarmed I don't want to lose 25% Enhance potions.

6. Spock's Beard

[​IMG]

7. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah I know.