1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

If Siege had character transfer, would anyone want to transfer there?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by MoonglowMerchant, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Leave Siege alone!! For the love of all things UO.

2. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

I would not transfer any of my character's to Siege. The lack of transfers is one of the things that gives the shard its uniqueness. Character development is an important part of the game. It is during this time that you meet your future guildmates, allies, enemies, and find out who to trust and who to despise.

The ruleset on SP is unlike most other shards. It is meant to be more of a challenge. If SP allowed transfers, I think alot of this would be lost. I think the lack of transfers has helped to forge SP's strong community.

I have characters on SP already, none of them are "finished".

Stayin Alive,

BG

3. Guido_LS

Guido_LS Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Would that be living on a feeding tube, comatose, or straight up zombie mode?

And, to the OP, if I could transfer my fully developed crafter over there, then yes, I'd very seriously think about it.

4. Hugibear

Hugibear Guest

Siege is a ghost town currently. Anyone saying leave siege alone doesnt play siege. Something needs to be done asap, get the paddles because siege is in defib.

5. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

:bdh:

6. Maximus Neximus

Maximus Neximus Lore Keeper
    Governor Stratics Veteran 4H

Get rid of RoT and I know myself and a few others would play there. I can't speak for the masses but that's my opinion.

7. Not me. They wouldn't know what to do with me if they got me anyway. This just saves them from bleeding ulcers.....

8. CroakerTnT

CroakerTnT Guest

I'm currently opposed to character transfers, simply because I think it would destroy the siege economy. On siege, if you have 3-4 Mil, you can get together a few nice pvm suits and a mediocre pvp suit together. Enough to get into the field. On Atlantic, it's more like 200 Mil. I don't want to see that happen to Siege.

There's two main reasons character transfers could cause this problem: First, characters can carry a lot of fancy stuff when they transfer - this could perhaps be fixed by forcing them to transfer naked, with only the pets that are in the stable. Second, most of the dupes have reportedly been created within the char transfer system.

As for ROT, I like it for some skills and hate it for others. It means I don't have to unattended macro for days on end to complete a character.

9. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you know anything about the dupes that plagued the other shards because of xfers... 2 simple things would protect siege from that.

1. No xfering off siege.
    2. Do not xfer the characters bank box

(or wipe the bank with each xfer so they aren't bringing in duped stuff or tons of items or things that shouldnt be on Siege anyway.)

And bam... you'll never have to worry about duping or this effecting the economy.

Because that too... has always been my biggest and only concern about xfers.

10. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I am not in favour of this idea. I could, just about, live with the idea of character copying. ie a duplicate of a character's stats and skills created on Siege, using the automatically generated character information on the uo website. Nothing whatsoever transported between shards.

11. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

No it's not.

...Well, perhaps it is on Siege. But then again, there are so few people on Siege nowadays that it necessitates threads such as this one. So what does that tell you?

12. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

I and pretty much most players on Siege are not in favor of the way things currently are... either.

I agree with you though, that it should just be characters brought over to Siege and no items what-so-ever.

13. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I have 3 fully developed characters there already, A nox mage, A tamer mage, and a crafter, the tamer account is shut down. leaving me 2, I still dont log on to the shard unless there are gifts to collect now days. so for me x-fer to siege is not needed, and really is not a good Idea, unless its only to siege naked with no items and no x-fer off. AOSitems ruined siege for me, I will prob never go back even if they x-fer or not. If siege would have kept the old combat/item/skill code when AOS was launched it would have been the best server, maybe more populated than standard servers.

14. Supreem

Supreem Founder, Citadel Studios
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Unfortunately this is not possible with the current system. Since siege is a completely different ruleset, the character data is not compatible with live shards. Even though we could turn on transfers, we would risk the possibility of data loss.

15. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Thank you for that answer.

16. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Thanks Supreem.

Any suggestion on the types of things you'd be able to do for us? I figured character xfers would be easy enough (apparently not.)

Bumping regular monster loot so the current population is more apt to fight (instead of protecting their pixels/items) would help a lot.

After all a Siege player risks more than players on any other shard at all times... so isn't it a little silly that they are rewarded the same as the players on other shards? (Killing a lady mel yeilds the same loot on Siege as it does everywhere else.)

Again, thanks for the feedback.

17. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Make it where you can only transfer to siege once your there your stuck there for evaaa !!!!!.
    This way nothing is transfered off of siege.
    and
    This way players would have to seriously think is it worth transfering there, and what they want to take with them.

18. Would it be possible to have a Siege version of Advanced Character tokens? That way, people could pay extra money to EA for the token (yay EA!), they'd start on Siege with skills but no equipment (yay Siege!), and they could avoid an ROT system which despite revision is still way too slow (yay New Players!).

The coding is already there and it works, you just turned it off. The only modification you need to make is to raise the skill levels that the token gives you. It is very easy to get your skills to 80 on Siege, from there things slow down drastically.

19. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Great idea. Maybe take the skills to 100 so people can get in and get playing ASAP?

Supreem - would you be willing to make it happen?

20. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

This puts a halt to any present and future discussion. At least it's finally gotten answered. Now I can stop wasting my time with RoT and give up on ever playing there. sad...

21. jtw1984

jtw1984 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I love the idea of Siege. I enjoyed playing there. However, I just don't have the time for Siege.

I log on only for a few hours to pvp. I would hate to lose most of everything I have and have to go get some more.

Just seems like alot of time to waste when I can play prodo.

At least when I die I can just get ressed back up and continue fighting.

22. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Just add the T2A Blackrock gains to Siege, permanently. We've already been discussing it on our forums and an overwhelming majority agree it should be added. It is the perfect risk vs. reward for Siege. If they are willing to risk their hide for increased gains, they are there for the taking! Its the perfect PK playground and the perfect place for anti-pk guilds to find them. Its a win/win/win for all involved. :)

23. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Sorry. We don't want to wait months before we start seeing people.

That would be cool if they decided to add it in tandem for those that don't want to get an advance char token, but we need people now.

Thanks!

24. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Thank you for the quick answer...

So I need to ask...what can you do?

At least put back the cost of faction items, can't be hard are they where same price as prodo for the first week.

If you cannot do this simple thing, at least tell us why.

Thank you!

25. CroakerTnT

CroakerTnT Guest

Thanks for this answer. I think there's little consensus on this issue among the siege community anyway.

Also, I don't see advanced char tokens being very useful. It's easy to get almost any skill to ROT (except perhaps taming, provo, discord), then it's just working the ROT system.

I'd prefer the T2A blackrock areas personally. They were loads of fun.

Character copying might be an option, minus bank box, minus pets (soulstones?). However, this would require coding. Blackrock coding is already done.

26. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Make a subroutine to rearrange the normal shard character values to match the format on Seige. There are 7 or so skill numbers and 3 stat numbers.

Drop a copy of a normal shard character onto Seige with nothing but newbie items and the 1000 gold, with the 10 skill/stat numbers in the proper order. Saves a lot of wasted time developing a character and could populate Siege a lot faster.

27. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Nope, already tried out Siege when it first opened and found it wasn;t really for me.

Secondarily, I think that character Transfers will harm Siege and the concept of Siege in BAD BAD ways. They've already done enough harm to the prodo shards as it is between the dupe bugs and the theft of shard-specific items.

The only such change I could see being of help to Siege is to allow players who have a house on a Prodo shard be able to place at the very least a small house on Siege (subject to manual refresh rules).

But no, no xfers to or from Siege. Even as a non-Siege player, I don;t want to see the shard watered down in that way.

28. Evlar

Evlar Guest

Simply put, I would most likely be there already had the AOS changes not been implemented there :)