1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Gardening] If there was an actual gardening skill...

Discussion in 'UO Botany and Nutrition' started by Sarsmi, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

...would you spend the 100 points to GM it?

I was thinking what a fun skill it could be! As a 0 skill gardener you could do everything that you do now (grow plants), but as a skilled gardener you would be able to forage for new seeds (or mushrooms or other stuff) instead of having to fight monsters to get them, and perhaps the seeds that that character plants in bowls will get regular double growths so growing a plant only takes half the time (this would be at GM). GM gardeners would naturally be able to identify seeds using the gardening skill.

You would use your gardening skill on the ground and it will attempt to forage for whatever grows in that area. I'd think there would be 4 or 5 different kinds of areas: forest, swamp, sand, snow and cave/dungeon.

Each area would have its own set of three things you could find while foraging: common, rare, and super rare. Common would be the useful thing, something that already exists.

So say you forage in the forest. The common group you could forage up might be things like already existing tree seeds (like cyprus), or plants that would grow in the forest like poppies or whatever. Sorry, my knowledge of plants is a bit limited.

The rare group in the forest would be something like mushroom spores, that could give a few different varieties of the already existing shroom art. The super rare group would give plant art that already exists but isn't normally available (this is a debateable point), or flora-related items.

So you could essentially forage for the new plants we have instead of having to fight monsters to get seeds, except boglings, which is bypassable since you can grow legacy plants from each other. You could forage while out fighting monsters or chopping trees/mining or whatever. And like mining you can out-forage a resource area and have to move around.

If you use the gardening skill on a seed and have enough skill it will identify it for you.

Thoughts? I know we just got an awesome new expansion and great boosts for gardeners, but something I read in a couple other threads made me think this might be a fun long term way to make gardening more mainstream. Like something they could consider doing a ways down the road...

2. DHMagicMan_1

DHMagicMan_1 Guest

It would be fun...

I'd do it, as a skilled gardener you could get the benifits of Fertile Dirt without using it... meaning just through your care you'd occasionally get a double growth cycle. Maybe you'd have a 20% chance to avoid fungi or insects that otherwise would have infested and need potions. Maybe get seeds from plants that don't normally offer them, like the new set or bonsai? Maybe a bonus chance of creating a Black or White mutant when crossing...

You'd have to give it some real benifits but I'd like to see it. :)

3. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sounds good. As long as I get some credit for the plants I have already grown. :p

I actually use an avatar strictly for gardening. He has plenty of room for skills.

4. Sinful_Candie

Sinful_Candie Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

That would be good. I like that idea...

5. soulstoner

soulstoner Guest

Geeze Sars .... That's really running with the ball for a touchdown and booty dance ;) I like it alot!

Your ideas are REALLY neat!!!! I like the foraging idea and the relation of odds of particular finds being related to 'Gardening Skill' as in lumberjacking, fishing, mining, etc. Not many folks garden (it doesn't seem) so it is kinda an exclusive hobby as is. Mushroom spores sounds very kewl and I especially like the seed ID ability with GM skill. The only thing though, is the 'no need to deal with higher level monsters' concept ... it seems in community no one should be overly self-sufficient ... sometimes we all need to trade wares with the badasses.

DHMM's ideas are neato as well.:thumbsup:

and YES we do have an awesome expansion

*:

Someday -- Stack Sugar, Cocoa Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Coco Chanel,
    Vanilla and choclate bits (2x2)

6. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

I would do it in a heartbeat and you have some interesting ideas, Sarsmi. DH as well. At the very least I wish there were gardener, stonemason and glassblower titles.

7. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I'd think adding stonemason and glassblower titles would be easy, since those abilities are turned on when you read the book. It would just be a matter of having titles in a list you could toggle (or our names/titles could get really long). For gardener, hrm...maybe it could be a multi tiered quest to supply a quest NPC with certain plants?

8. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

Not a bad idea, Sarsmi. But, I still like your original ideas best. :)

9. Numtinae

Numtinae Guest

I love gardening and I'd GM it in a minute. But I can't say I really want it to be a skill. One of the things I love about gardening is that it's a player skill about care and knowledge and patience rather than a character skill where any gold seller can grind it out. That's part of why I'm so excited about the dyes.

10. guum

guum Guest

There's an indie MMO I used to play (and probably will again someday) called A Tale in the Desert. It's primarily a crafting game, but one of the things you can do is go out herb hunting. There are around 300 different types of herbs, different ways to harvest them, etc., and it's a wonderfully peaceful thing to do. When I was bored with most other parts of that game, I'd still go out foraging on a regular basis.

So yeah, I think this would be a fun addition.

11. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Thats true, and it's one of the great things about UO that they can put systems in the game and then have players take off with them in all sorts of different ways. Though getting to train imbuing recently made me remember how much I like training certain skills in UO (I'm not much of a fighter), like crafting and harvesting skills, how it feels great to hit a level in mining and now be able to get gold or whatever.

Probably they would never introduce an actual gardening skill, I'm sure the precentage of players who regularly garden is very low as it is typically very time consuming and historically a poor way to make money, and therefore there will never be a huge horde of players clamoring for a gardening expansion. :p

It's fun to do "what if" though. :)

12. I would GM it in a heartbeat. Gardening is one of the funnest aspects of the game for me right now, as I do not need anybody else to help me do anything to get there. :)