1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

If you care about the faction debate...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hattori Hanzo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

2. Hattori Hanzo

I also believe we should try to preserve factions specifically on SP, even if it goes away on other shards.

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Not the factions we have now... *shakes head* I miss the factions that encouraged team work and embraced many play styles.

4. Hattori Hanzo

Step 1: Delete Faction Arties,
    Step 2: Start another faction invasion.
    Step three: Have fun.

Kat and kelmo like this.
  5. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Yep. What he said.

6. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

some like the arties

7. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

the biggest problem with faction is the lack of participation (me included)
    sigil guards are a blast but ya have to be able to sit there for 10 hours im lucky if i have a straight hour to play lately there is no way i could pull off 10 then i gotta wait 3 days just to try again pfft why bother i just cant do it no matter how much i want to
    faction arties even though i dont have a problem with them i also am not currently using them i dont have the time to farm for hours on end just to die once and get them taken from me and unlike most on this shard i wont ask for them back and definetly wont by them back screw that if i loose em there just lost ill make more armor or go farm shame or something like that hell i like shame loot over most faction items anyway
    and another thing i think they messed up was the faction and non-faction alliances i mean really what did it hurt this is siege we have reds they will attack reguardless if your faction or not and blues are gonna attack reds reguardless of faction oritation

idk just my opinion

Kelly O'Brian and Barry Gibb like this.
  8. Hattori Hanzo

You make great points for the elimination of arties.

9. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

not sure how i did that but fine get rid of them so we can go back to never needing silver again

tell ya the truth i dont see anything wrong with faction arties. Just becasue i dont need them or dont use them as often since revamped loot doesn't mean they should do away with them. I think we as players need to better adapt to the changes the game brings forth. If they get rid of faction arties so be it the same people that use those items are still gonna run kick ass gear. Have you spent anytime looking at the revamped gear? You can get damage eaters of every kind, you can get so much hit point regen, mana regen, and stamina regen you could easily hit caps. There is now ways to change your dci to cap at 70, you can get your suits to 80's across the board now. All these things makes faction armor obsolete but yet people make it seem like faction arties are still over powered. IDK i just think worrying about faction gear is a waste of time when there is so much better to be had. Focus on more constructive changes to factions. Like something to bring crafting back to factions for more then just faction traps, or lesson the time needed to corrupt sigils and the lessen the 3 day wait between corruptions so we can fight for sigils more often then just twice a week. Then give a purpose to own towns instead of just changing faction tax rate and putting up vendors. Make a scoreboard of faction points ingame so we as players know who has the points, show top 20 of each faction kind of like what they use to have on uo.com but make it ingame. Change statloss timer. i just think these things are more important then being concerned about obsolete faction arties if we are gonna ask for changes lets give them good suggestions not just limit it to faction arties

#9 Sprago, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Hattori Hanzo

" i dont have the time to farm for hours on end just to die once and get them taken from me and unlike most on this shard i wont ask for them back and definetly wont by them back screw that if i loose em there just lost ill make more armor or go farm shame or something like that hell i like shame loot over most faction items anyway"

11. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Sprago - HH is right on the money.

Beyond that, if you will remember back 3+ years ago or so when TnT, KOC, JSV, etc were still playing and pvping on a nightly basis, pretty much everyone experienced a great deal of frustration with losing suits, who had which pieces of whomever's suit and who was selling back/who wasn't and at what price. Not to mention those who trashed faction arties just to piss each other off! THOSE issues are the real problems with faction artifacts on Siege. It ruined the fun. Hell, back then, there was more PvP happening in this forum than in game!

Seriously take a moment to remember what it was like. Each night started out with everyone fully equipped and ready to fight and every night the fun started dwindling after the first fight. Didn't matter which guild was on the losing end. People lost gear, trashed gear, couldn't find all their gear or got angry about the sellback price and pretty regularly either one person or sometimes even an entire guild decided they weren't selling anything back to anyone! Eventually, the main players rarely took to the field to fight. Even when they did, they didn't get too far away from a house to duck into. Some players rarely logged in. Some lost interest completely. In the end, a good number of folks went back to prodo shards to play with insured suits and some of us left looking for some other place to play UO.

IMO, all faction arties did for this shard was ruin the fun. You saw for yourself what a ghost town Siege became.

With the addition of the new dungeon loot, which isn't all that different to what we were asking for with increased arty drops, faction arties really aren't needed anymore. Of course, you did a good job of pointing that out yourself. :)

Gerbiler and Hattori Hanzo like this.
  12. Hattori Hanzo

13. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

I have never played factions (and don't intend to) but I see factions as just a way for some players (not all) to abuse the faction benefits against non- faction players. Get rid of all the monster ignore etc powers and arties and I could care less if factions survived.

I respect some faction players but I think most are just griefers. And remember (by far) most players do not belong to factions so a small group of people are creating the problem. If it can not be fixed - get rid of it for good.

Mitzlplik_LS likes this.
  14. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

seems like you missed most of my post!! Get rid of faction arties, i dont care revamped loot is better, i'm saying lets be more concerned about the improvement side of factions not the removing of obsolete items. yes faction arties ruined the shard but they were never supposed to be tradeable, i dont know what dev thought that was a good idea but they were wrong. Do i think they are currently an issue? no not at all, most current faction players in siege dont even use em. Do i think people should sell them back? hell no trash em an item ment for one person to use and only one person is stupid but again do i think they are an issue? no. I would rather see other things improved and not waste time on that.

15. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

The reason I am not focusing on any major improvement of the faction system is because I recall Messanna [or some dev person] saying they were not going to do anything specific or special for Siege in regard to factions. I don't recall the exact verbage. All I really want is for the faction system to remain on Siege. Any improvement to that system would just be icing on the cake, IMO.

The mention of faction arties ruining Siege was just my opinion. I agree there are plenty other improvements that could be made.

16. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

You can trace the near death of Siege back to Farties. Faction Pkers loaded up on artifacts and whupped up on lesser equipped players that were not factioneers for whatever reason. Players tired of being PKed and losing what equipment they did have turned to hide/stealth. That began the period of no one ever plays Siege or at least ya never see them.

The Pkers not enjoying fighting each other grew tired of looking for the easy prey. Many of these "PvPers" grew tired of the 'who has my stuff?' game. They simply moved to other shards or other games.

If ya doubt me... do the research and check the time lines.

17. Hattori Hanzo

Hence my humble request that one last attempt be made to save it by removing Farties and lowering the timers to entice people back.

18. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

/signed

19. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

My thoughts exactly. MI is such a crock. Normal players have to fight their ass off to get some place and than 10 minutes later some guy rides in all willy nilly and unaccausted and commences to killin ya while monsters are attacking YOU!

Until Monster Ignore/Faction arties leave the game, I will not be returning to Siege. Really miss playing there but stuff like that happened alot. Not fair whatsoever and frankly pissed me off to no end.

20. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

It matters on all the shards. A lot of people will have to redo entire suits/templates without the faction crystalline ring.

People completely disagree with why you think faction arties ruined factions. At least the why you imply when you describe your feelings.

Even before factions people ran top tier gear. Cursed, faction dyed, same thing and no body had an issue with it. If you can't see that was the case on Siege, this is the point where we agree to disagree.

Siege has long suffered unequal risks and rewards. Manifested in tears over personal bless deeds, lost suits, a higher minimum wage (arms lore), etc. Prodo has suffered from painting pks into the proverbial corner and wondering why they're not having fun.

Siege needs a loot overhaul. Our problem is that getting items does not line up with the risks it takes to get them. It's annoying rather than fun.

The remaining shards need a virtue system/facet participation overhaul. The problem is that people have too much consent. If you join factions, you don't get reprieve from it in Trammel. Reds can go anywhere in the world and get attacked/defend themselves, but can not attack innocent blues. Open the world up to it's players.

It's time this game made sense. Item insurance (prodo) and no item insurance (Siege/Mugen).

my 2 cents

#20 Draxous, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  21. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Monster ignore is part of hero/evil and has been around for pretty much the entire life of Siege. It's not factions. That old system was just tied to factions. I'd consider untying it in the overhaul and allowing everyone to participate in the risks for the rewards without having to deal with stat loss. I won't return to Siege until it's economy and players catch up to present UO. I expect to be able to buy a STOCK of crystalline rings for gold. When that happens, you fix the problem, people. Going backwards was the classic shard debate. Fixing Siege is the get with it debate.

IMO

22. Gerbiler

Gerbiler Adventurer

^ One reason The Gerbiler was created, the detect hidden skill was so much fun. Can only think of one other player who was more annoying with it than I. Don't remember his name, but I do recall he also had a nasty poisoner/fencer, was in TnT and was very good on controlling sigils.
    I can remember, back in the golden ago of Siege, working 12 hours during the day, then coming home, and hitting UO, then playing so long that I would get maybe three hours of sleep. Wake up, go to work, then do same thing again. The fun I had with The Gerbiler and HaHa was unending. The board pvp, the spying we did and the board pvp. I definitely miss the old REV crew, and several of you on here. Unfortunately, I had to move on to games where the players are treated better.
    Gotta be honest with you guys, really surprised on how many of you still play here. Respect you all for hanging in there, and I do hope one day Siege will get back to what it was....but let's be honest, we have all been hoping that for years.

-HaHa

23. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Which people? Besides you of course.

#23 kelmo, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  24. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Everybody who sees the big picture.

I've got a question for you. What PvP and PvE experience do you have exactly? The only thing I know you for is policing peoples conversations.

25. Heavenless

Heavenless Journeyman

Is this the Sprago vs. the nekkid stealther community thread? Opinions are like a$$#0132...everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.