1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

im always dropping off items that...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by qwerty223, Feb 9, 2011.

?

Box in heaven for just "young" players.

Poll closed Mar 1, 2011.
  1. yes this is a good idea.

52.8%
  2. no this idea is not worth the time or effort.

27.8%
  3. i dont care eaither way.

11.1%
  4. might be a good idea down the line.

8.3%
  1. qwerty223

qwerty223 Guest

would be starter items, armor, weapons and such. but when i do this, vet players run up and take them. i propose a chest in the middle of heaven that only "young" players can get into and use.

2. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Make it be like a mail box. Anyone can drop items in but only "young" players can open the box and take items out.

3. young PAID players ... jump on it ... :mf_prop:

4. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

It is a nice idea.... New players do get the shaft when starting out... However, a similar problem could occur with this box idea as to the vets running up and taking things.

I have an account that I've had for about 4 years now. Several of the characters on it are still Young, and I'm sure other people have similar accounts. Not all of them are 'fine, upstanding citizens'... Someone could just walk up and take all the items on their Young-but-not-really-Young chars :(

About the only way to avoid the asshattery that might ensue is to basically just hand Young players things. Until Mythic wakes up and realizes that a new player is basically screwed when they start, and they bother to create a real New Player Experience, we are the only ones who can actually help them... for better or for worse.

5. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Community just needs to do a better job here helping equip new players.. A box like this seems like a good idea, but I could just create a trial account in about 2 minutes and take everything out of your box if I wanted. Doesn't seem like it'd work too well.

I go out of my way to help any player I think is new.. I keep decent suits/gold/resources for them readily available in my house and teach them about insurance quickly so they aren't feeling completely alone and overwhelmed.

6. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Great idea. However, there need to be some restrictions to prevent this from becoming abused. Such as we don't want one new player to take everything from the box and we don't want vets ruining it for the new players.

So we need to limit how much new players can take and need the box to be account age restricted.

7. Alvinho

Alvinho Great Lakes Forever!
    Stratics Veteran

where is heaven? you referring to new Haven?

8. first come first served ... its on the ground its "free" ...
    beggers be not choosers
    doners be not so fricking picky re: "blind box charity"

9. Jordy

Jordy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Does anyone really believe that you're going to get the devs to create such a "complicated" code just to help out new players? Just saying...

10. BluDjinn

BluDjinn Journeyman

New Players?

How would UO get "New Players?

It's not like you can just go the the mall and buy a disc off the shelf!

We might get some returning players, or maybe friends or new spouses of existing players ( who should get all the help they need from the one bringing them in. )

I have played from day one and I love UO, but....I don't believe We get many New Players.

And if you already know how to play the game it's not hard to quickly build up a new charter from scratch. ( I have stand alone characters on every English speaking shard, just because I was board...It's not that hard.)

It makes me sad to say it ....But I don't see where truly "NEW " players would come from. It's an old game that doesn't advertise and when I tell people in RL about it, I have yet to meet anyone who has ever heard of it.

I wish this was not so and I hope a lot of new players respond and tell me so!

:sad4: :sad2: :sad3:

11. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

What's the problem with just dropping it on the ground? Sure someone experienced could take it, but someone experienced could also, as others have argued, just use or create a [young] account and exploit a restrictive system as well. And it can be fun sometimes for experienced players to create new characters and build them from the ground up.

UO of course needs a viable new player experience, even if we only get 1 new player a month. The noob artifacts should have been left in their original state and not nerfed. They added significantly to the viability of a character with 50 in his or her skills.

-Galen's player

12. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I like the idea.. but I do see the down side of it too....

Might I just have the Dev consider a small change to the "NEW PLAYER" package. Instead.

50 of each normal or necro reg

1-4th lvl spell book filled

Leather set of armor with 35% stats ( which is half a 70 suit stats.)

A GM weapon (35%)

5,000 gold

Gift ticket to the stables for one pony.

This should give the new young players some foothold in the game.
    It's too bad we lost the companion program. Our young got alot of help from the players who were in that program and made alot of new friends for both.

13. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

It is the issue with inexpierenced player trying to get an item from one charater to another. A player that has no clue on houses or boats yet. Stepping into the wayback machine -------- remember running out to the woods and logging receiving character. Log on dropping character and goingto that special tree and dropping a bag behind the trunk and racing back to the Inn. Log back on, and collect passed stuff.

What is needed is a book with all the basic starter knowledge in new player packs.

Better then a container is an Inn with rooms that ya pay for a room that is for your account only till server refresh. Only that account can open door and place and remove items in dresser.

14. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

Ha! I still do that on shards I don't have houses on.

15. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

What I would like is to see them take that smooth ship movement code and use it to move a wagon graphic that could be hauled about and parked as a mobile vendor.

I'm extremely into the Crafting aspect of this game and would have a grand time running a traveling merchant with say 2 or 4 npc vendors max and my own character as the merchants. The maximum price for anything being sold being 1000 gold. No Luna prices allowed.

I'd sell bolts and arrows, regeants, low end armor, books with how-to info, and such. Things a young player would find helpful, and well within thier price range.

16. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Why not when you see a new player just GIVE them what they need directly (if they want it). On siege we even have a guild for it, and we'll equip new players with LRC suits, resist armor, power scrolls, and whatever else then need to get a good start.

17. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm not for anything that reduces player interaction.

Want to help a new player? Go find one.

18. terrible idea. uo isn't meant to be 'easy', especially when starting out. as flutter said, go find some friends or a guild. people are very willing to help on many servers.

19. qwerty223

qwerty223 Guest

i must say some of the answers and votes surprise me. i thought it was a no brainier(no offense to the na sayers):confused: but then again thats what polls are for:gee: