1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I'm back...what now?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by degamra, Oct 1, 2008.

1. degamra

degamra Guest

Not like anyone would remember. I played UO mainly around 2000 and came back very briefly when EA offered a free week (or whatever it was for old accounts). I remember joining Siege for the first time ever, working my character up and then logging off, bored.

Now I'm back and I have no idea what to do. I was intending to work up a mage with "utility" that could survive dungeons and general pvp. Someone nice enough gave me a 100% LRC suit before I cancelled so that was wonderful. I just said what the hell and reactivated, went to the Covetous liches and got rocked. I spent about 15 minutes killing a single lich and realized I don't know anything about UO these days.

Here are my skills and stats:

Focus 57.6 (marked down)
    Healing 69.5 (locked)
    Hiding 73.0 (locked)
    Inscription 70.0 (locked)
    Anatomy 60.0 (locked)
    Wrestling 70.1 (locked)
    Evaluating Intelligence 75.8 (marked up)
    Magery 81.5 (marked up)
    Meditation 71.8 (marked up)
    Resisting Spells 70.8 (marked up)

Str 82 (marked up)
    Dex 30 (locked)
    Int 46 (marked up)

Clearly, I was in the middle of doing SOMETHING to this guy but I forgot what in the past year or so. I know my int is severely lacking (no pun intended). Maybe I was going to gain Inscription and Hiding? Maybe I was going to go Anatomy/Healing? I don't know what the hell I was thinking but can you guys tell me what my options are for templates at this point? I don't think I want to be a pvp god so much as I want to just experience everything new in the game (for the record, I am lacking all expansions).

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Upgrade to mondain's legacy. It will cover all needed upgrades. I would keep the the 5 base mage skills plus inscribe. Drop the heal/anat/focus and work parry. Once you run out of points put either parry or inscribe on the soulstone. The parry will help you out alot until you get your wrestle up.

3. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

go to account management and deactivate before u forget and they charge u 2 months :( the game has basically turned into tamer wars and anyone who tells ya different is trying to get u to come here bc the population is so low BC OF THE LAME PVP AND TAMERS RUINING IT.

4. degamra

degamra Guest

Why parrying? What should I do about my low int? Also, what skills are the most important to me kicking ass/not dying in three seconds? Magery is obviously my first priority.

Also, just noticed the September 08 stat/skill gain changes...what a breath of relief! What do people typically shoot for stats-wise? I know the days of 100/100/25 are faaaaaar gone.

I'll take my chances for at least a month.

5. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

meh the tamer wars are definitely hurting the population it is really hard to fight against the super dragons

6. degamra

degamra Guest

Well, tamers have kind of always been easymode, overpowered garbage throughout the history of UO. That's just what happens in a game where you can tame dragons. They will always be embarrassing opponents in PvP. No amount of loot you lose will ever justify people that are so lame that they require an extra ally in the form of a pet.

7. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

If you really want to experience the new UO, you might consider using the basic mage template and adding Spellweaving. It's not great for pvp but it does make pvm interesting. Try something like:

Magery
    Med
    Eval
    Resist
    Wrestling
    Spellweaving

If you want more of a pvp character that is also really good at pvm you might try a necro mage...kind costly to run and you will have a hard time building it in the month you are trying, but they are fun!

Magery
    Med
    Eval
    Resist
    Necro
    Spirit Speak

Have fun! I have to agree that pvp is not what it used to be with the super dragons, but I still find pvm to be quite fun on Siege.

8. degamra

degamra Guest

What are the main draws of Necro or Spellweaving in your opinion? The little bit I have heard about Spellweaving implies it is exceptional for some situations and near worthless in others. I haven't heard anything about Necromancy, really...

9. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

wrestling (or anatomy)
    eval
    magery
    med
    resist

the 6th skill... depends on what you like. Scribe is really good to go and so is parry.

If you invest in soulstones you can pick up focus, spellweaving, necro, ss, detect hidden, so on and so forth...

A group of mages is top dogs on the shard but sadly, people are more for the gimpy glory than any kind of hard-earned respect.

Bless a scrappers and jewelry is easy enough to get your casting to 2/5 in order to compete in PvP and 2/4 in order to PvM effectively. A nice 1/3 bracelet or ring with +10-15DCI for parry... but thats an item reliant template.

Group PvP is fine on this shard. If you have the right group and mix of players... dragons are NBD imo... but very few do that tho.

Once they fix the exploit that our tamers have been abusing to have their dragons PvP for them without them ever experiencing risk... you'll see a dramatic increase in tamers dying.

And GOD I hope they make it so that animal form requires 1 pet control slot... *crosses fingers*

10. degamra

degamra Guest

Is virtually everyone these days a 6 skiller? It sounds like the concept of 7xGM is obsolete now that you can get 120 magery, eval, etc.

11. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Yes, 7xGM is obsolete.

At 120.0 magery you never fizzle any spell.

120 in most skills is what you will be shooting for.

Hunting and fighting for powerscrolls is a great sub-game in Ultima Online...

Getting +15 powerscrolls is easy enough hell, a lot will even donate them to you, but the real prize which you need to earn (however u do) is the +20s

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

You will also want to have a 25 stat scroll applied to effectively run parry. You need 80 dex to get max benefit out of parry. I run 100/55/100 and use greater agil pots. Keeping in cast jewels for this temp can be costly especially since I run a blessed arcane shield instead of a blessed cast item.
    It really depends on your playstyle as to what you pick for your last skill. I played around alot after I returned after a 4 year lay off and found I tended to stay alive longer on the field with parry than any other skill I tryed out.

13. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Ugh...

80str 120int 55dex

the 10hp diff isn't going to effect you as much as the % boost to spell dmg increase, the faster mana regen rate or the larger mana pool that 120int gives you... especially with greater str pots...

and parry is a fantastic skill to have as a mage... if I wasn't a team player and running detect hidden... I'd be running parry.

Even in GM armor and the 5 basic mage skills... you can do fine individually and great on any team if you can master playing the character. A mage is the most versatile char in the game... it's also the hardest to play effectively.

2 cents

btw, I run 100str 125int 30dex because I don't run parry... if I was running parry, I'd have the stats I listed.

14. KVJ

KVJ Guest

Honestly,

I'm a mage but you need to join a guild to fight these absurd numbers. I'm not gonna even give them the chance to get my loot anymore. I'm done fighting these fools. If mass recruiting everyone in the game is fun to them, then they can fight themselves to death.

I'm looking for mages in my guild. So if your interested, let me know. However, since you have inscribe at 70. I highly recommend working that up, cause your spells do soo much more damage with a scrappers compendium. It's very nice. Just make sure you have more mages, etc. to heal you / invis you when you get knocked off your mount. Good Luck.

15. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

You pretty much summed it up. Spellweaving has limited uses and mostly its for pvm. It has some nice finishing moves and some self healing abilities.

Necromancy is a very popular skill right now. Strangle works good as it ticks off damage and can interrupt a mage. Cast Evil Omen on someone and then paralyze and the paralyze wont fail (hopefully they will fix this). Corpse skin lowers your resist to fire, then follow up with explo, fireball, etc. Blood Oath is good against dexxers, it translates some damage back to the dexxer.

For pvm, wither and wraith form are about the easiest way to clear a spawn in no time.

Necro is popular because it can be played both ways very well - much like taming.

What the others said is true as well...Parry mages and Scribe mages are probably among the top pvp'ers on Siege. Scribe mages would be really nice in pvm also due to the mass damage output. Not sure on parry mages in pvm.

16. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

spellweaving can be one of the most powerful skills to have in PvP....

17. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Essence of Wind, with a level 5 focus? Or is there more to it?

I keep hearing that SW is powerful in pvp, yet I see almost no one running it...