1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

[Lock Picking] i'm not crazy...

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by baileybaileys, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Updated: finally, don't know what it was, but all is well...

looking for advice...

I am unable to gain skill in lock picking. The following conditions are in affect...

1) I purchased my lockpicking skill up to 25.0 from 0.0 via a tinker.
    2) I have many skills set to down, some skills locked, and lockpicking set to up.
    3) I am at 643 total skill points.
    4) I have waited significant amounts of time, moved on to other skills and came back to lockpicking.
    5) No matter what chest I pick, public lockpicking house, vesper bank, and despise, I do NOT gain a single point in lockpicking.
    6) I should not just be gaining on virtually any chest, but I should be gaining in .2 chunks.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!
  2. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 12, 2008
    your skill is too low for the chests you are picking, you will gain eventually but it will take days to get to 30....you need to find a thief guild master from another town and buy till 30.

Other wise you need to buy 30 tinkering and put it on your carpenter and have him make locked boxes.

Once you are over 30 lp you will be able to gain on most spawn chests or 50 skill locked boxes.

But gains are never at .2, they are at .1!

If you haven't built a tinker now is a good time to train the skill.

Buy 30 tinkering and add it to your carpenter. When you need 50 skill lvl boxes, train tinkering to 50.
    When you need 70 skill lvl boxes, train tinkering again...etc

A few locked boxes at each lvl is all you need. All the way up to gm lvl boxes....which will train you to 95.00.

Now Keep your old boxes in a box and keep them labelled so you know which are which....you will want to know which boxes were made by a 70 skill tinker after you get to 95.
  3. Yep, that was the problem. At 25.0 skill it is tough to find anything I can pick for gain. I finally found a thief guildmaster and everything started rolling. Next time, I'll just build a character starting at 50 magery/50 locks instead of adding locks to an existing character.