1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

I'm wondering why buying from npcs (e.g.provisioners) costs so much on Siege

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Val Van Wolf, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Val Van Wolf

Val Van Wolf Seasoned Veteran

We come to Siege with nothing (well, 1000 gp) and it is very difficult to get going without more gold. I recently deleted 5 accounts, and came back to Siege with the two remaining. One was an imbuer, crafter and I would rather hunt than craft, so I deleted him and re-started as a mythic mage. I also deleted the second one and re-started with a ninja archer. Bought some soulstones, stoned the 50 skills I got, waited a week and re-started again, ending with four skills at 5o or above. Seemed like a smart move to me.
    I do understand the concept of no serious safety from murderers or thieves, but why must everything be three times as expensive? I think that is one of the reasons new players don't stay too long. Just wondering...even before Trammel was invented, non player characters charged much smaller amounts.
    Thanks for reading and, by the way, I am not asking for donation. Just curious...

2. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

1) It is supposed to be harder (historically).
    2) keeps the economy sound for players since many times you must buy from other players
    3) gold sink
    4) Forces people to work with others (in theory)
    5) Forces value in mining, logging, sheep shearing and leather gathering
    etc

Personally I am against NPCs selling any commodity like jewels, bottles, scrolls ie anything that can be crafted or gathered.

Bo Bo and MANSBETH like this.
  3. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Go to the New Magincia bazaar and see what the prices are that are being offered for things you can gather hunting at your ability. I've been making my gold that way since crafting here hasn't proven profitable. Once your skill is high enough you can make decent gold supplying those bazaar vendors by hunting for what they want to buy.

The 3x prices will not be a problem once your skill is near GM and your making good gold hunting. A couple of the bazaar vendors buy reagents and gems so those are easily sold to get more gold as well. As a rule, keep any loot you get, hides or whatever. Likely someone at the bazaar will want it.

kelmo likes this.
  4. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

By the way, GM Hiding & 80 Stealth can be very useful for getting back to your body for your armor and gear if your hunting where Bad Things play and die. If your human, the Jack of all Trades ability will let you turn into a Rat or Rabbit if your carrying a Ninja book and give you +20 Stealth on top of what skill you have. You can also carry a Chivalry book and use it's Close Wounds spell for healing if you have tithing points and also carry a Mysticism Healing Stone for healing. Both are handy to have once you get rezzed and don't have your LRC armor or bandages. Alternate between them until you heal up enough then go after your gear on your body.

5. Val Van Wolf

Val Van Wolf Seasoned Veteran

Great replies and thank you for the tips, Tanivar. They will help alot as both my characters here are human, and do I need a mysticism book to use a healing stone, if I am not a mystic? One char is a mystic and the other isn't. A real life friend told me I can make arrows with joat also. TheDrAJ, you remind me of my late husband, who was only happy when working. Unless fun was work he wouldn't do it. He would never try any game, even though I suggested he could be a Swedish warrior (I forget the word...,darn it....shrinking brain syndrome.)

6. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

The best part of a long journey is how you get there!

Tanivar likes this.
  7. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Yes you do. The book & scroll should be both available at the Ter Mur magery shop.

That you can. As a human you have 20 skill at most of the skills. Being able to camp using a bedroll and some tinder can be handy if your not a mage and don't want to walk home from your hunting area. You can log out immediately using camping. Logging back in can be occasionally exciting though if something hungry is standing there when you do. :eek: