1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Increased bank storage on Siege?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Bruin, May 20, 2009.

1. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Just a thought - reading through a few of the posts about reasons people would come to Siege, one of the things that has been coming up is the pain of living out of ones bankbox. Also if they got additional housing for Siege (the ability to have a house on their home shard and Siege) they would come to Siege.

WITHOUT TURNING THIS INTO AN THREAD ABOUT AN ADDITIONAL HOUSE ON SIEGE, that has been discussed many times before. What do people think about increasing the bank storage on Siege? If people could store say 500 items into ones bankbox, that might make it easier for them to try out Siege.

Thoughts?

2. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I've seen alot of good Ideas run through these forums
    and increased bank storage would be something that
    might make the differance of someone that lives out
    of his/her bank make the move to Siege Perilous.
    I also think that we need a new character slot for SA
    so we don't have to stone or delete a character to play.
    Maybe that as well would make people want to come play with us ;)...

3. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

I lived out of my bank box on Siege for almost 8 years before I was able to place a house. For most of that time, for the periods I was actively playing, I was only using one main character. Was quite happy with it- part of the challenge of Siege, no ? But given a choice between increased bank storage and the hotly debated option of extra housing, which may or may not get abused, I'd go with the extra bank storage.

4. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Perhaps extra bank storage might be a good compromise. . .

5. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

While your idea isn't a bad one, I'm afraid no single improvement is going to change anything. In fact, I doubt any number of suggestions we've tossed around over the years is going to be the answer to our problems. What we need is a dev team that cares about Siege and a dev team that realizes that if they would cater a bit more to the other niche market sitting right under their noses, they would find the answer to their prayers... and many of our own.

They already cater to the Trammies that wish to live in their protective little bubbles. If only they would realize that they have the market cornered on the best non-consentual PvP game on the planet and cater to that market as well. Sure its been severely neglected, but if they'd drop the expansions for a few years and focus on revamping Siege/Mugen, they would stand to regain a huge portion of the playerbase they've lost over the years.

UO will never be the cutting edge of MMORPG's with high-end graphics. It's high time they wake up and smell the coffee and claim the niche they can provide to the gaming world.

When players finally get bored enough on prodo shards or haven't played since 2000 and decide to try Siege, most of them come here looking for an old school version of UO, but are usually sorely disappointed. Some of us stay because its as close as it gets, but most just realize it isn't anywhere close and pack up again.

Instead of coming up with small changes that won't change much of anything, I'd rather see players come up with their own version of UO that we might someday be happy with and present that to our dev team.

Yes, I know it would be nearly impossible to come up with a version of UO we could all agree upon, but ya never know what shard full of Fel Rule-set loving people can do!

Anyone up for a "Design Your Ultimate Siege" challenge? :cheerleader:

PS.. Sorry, Bruin. Don't mean to poopoo your idea. I'm just in a funk over the state of the game.

6. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

how about theifs being able to see and steal from bank boxes that are open?
    That would stir things up...

7. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

QFT -

You dont' know how many times I've had this discussion myself. Several things need to happen, but most of all, we need the love from the DEV team to pull it together.

8. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Thieves.

And I love this idea...:) ...la

9. TheScoundrelRico

Although I like the idea of increasing the bank size, if it's not the bank, many players will come up with many other reasons not to come...la

10. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

There's more pressing issues affecting siege. Our vets are bored. They don't go out and hunt monsters (not worth the time.) They don't go out and pk (no one's out hunting monsters to PK.) They don't go out and PvP (they can't afford it and their armor is vastly inferior to those who can.) They don't do factions (the risk isn't in line with the reward.) A lot don't run templates that don't have hiding/stealth, so the shard looks a lot more empty than it is... shying players away.

So we give these people the option to place a 2nd house... they come here and we experience the same old... same old.

Really, if monster loot and runic kits aren't addressed... everything else is pointless. We'll have the Devs spend time creating the coding to have a 2nd house, rather than really fixing what's killing this shard.

Face it, a few people coming here is not going to stop the bored vets already here who are considering leaving or are playing less and less because they are frustrated with this shard.

11. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

This is impossible.

Mondain's Legacy was 4 years ago.

If SA is an epic fail... UO won't survive more than 2-3 more years after that.

We need to push for one thing at a time and come together as a community and push. It's the only way it's going to happen. We get some new content and then like lunatics we all throw out 50 billion fickle ideas about this and that rather than focusing on ONE single big change that will have the most 'bang for it's buck."

Well, so many are bored with hunting monsters (crappy loot.) So many don't want to PvP (risk losin their good stuff.) So many want to PK but can't (no one wants to hunt.)

If we get people playing and interacting with eachother... we can then tackle issues like bringing more people here and so on. If people see us playing and having fun, that is the biggest lure to not only trying out this shard, but sticking around... because it's fun.

12. TheScoundrelRico

This has been said of each expansion since I started the game...don't hold your breath...la

13. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

There comes a point where a game no longer is worth the time or the money for further investment or development. As time goes on, the investments and development becomes stretched thinner and thinner.

Considering UO hasn't had a real expansion in 4 years and UO's only been around for 12 years. Do the math.

If SA is done correctly, UO will be here for a long while... if not, it will still be here, but there won't be many more investments or development that follows.

14. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

My Bank storage is 150 items with storage increase codes from 9th Annversary package. My housing is 40% increase.

I dont believe increasing it more will do anything productive.

What I do believe would help goes along the lines of what Kelmo ( I think ) was saying, about the Inns actually renting out rooms ( and having storage there ).

The cost shouldnt be too much, maybe 200 gold per night, and with the fee you would get a box like a bank box ( but more like a moving crate ) that would be in every room, and of course, depending on who opens it determines what contents are inside.

The Inn keeper will only allow you to pay up to 5 days in advance, so you have to keep logging in and paying or else your Inn Box is deleted.

You could not drop several years worth of fees on the Inn keeper as you could on a vendor, the point is to make you log in and play.

The amount of storage is not important, and could be tweaked by player poll.

Now the question is... do your items magically transport to each Inn as your bank items do from bank to bank, or would you have to go to the Inn you rented the room at? If not, could you rent rooms at multiple Inns for more storage?

15. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

recall spells! if they gave back recall spells that would make it much easier to get around, or if that seems kind of lame.. how bout the average joe could cast gate travel with a rune book and gate scrolls to charge it that wouldnt be so bad, and that would give more scribes jobs sellen full rune books of all kinds of sweet places that have been lost and forgotten and than that just might get ppl to stay cause there not damned to surf moon gates to the most lamest places sosaria has to offer, also not haveing to dodge peeps that will always try to take there stuff one way or another blah blah blah blah ...la :O

16. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I like this

17. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Upon further thinking... I realized that money is too easy to obtain, and 200 gold is too low a price. Even if people had to log in at least every 5 days to pay their Inn fees, they still dont have to play, they have tons of money in bank to pay with, log in, pay, log out.

To correct this, I have decided that they cannot pay with gold, but rather they must have Inn Rental certificates, One ticket for one night rental.

The player obtains these tickets by playing the game. Once the player has killed X amount of monsters, there is a chance one will appear in pack, the player can never have more than 5 in pack, they are blessed, and cannot be dropped, only given to Inn Keeper. This is to prevent others from collecting tickets to sell on their vendors, defeating the purpose of making the players play.

If they have to PvM to obtain tickets, PK'ers have targets.

Crafters would also have a way to obtain tickets, if PvM isnt their thing... The point is, make them play to stay, else Inn Box is deleted.

Increasing Bank Box storage is not going to work, as it justs gives them more room with no risk, so sure, they have more items in box, but why log in and play? Population Increase = Zero.

Once the player has decided to stay, they will buy a house and stop renting at the Inn. The landscape is only full of houses that are occupied, and it is a win - win all around.

18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Too complex. Stick with gold. Remember the K.I.S.S rule...

19. Bruin

Bruin Guest

There's a very quick realization I came to when I first started on Siege. The devs don't give a damn about us. When I first started, you could not gain Magic Resist over 90. It took them over a year to fix this issue. Think about that, you could not gain a skill over 90, a fairly big bug, but it took them over a year to fix. Ohh well, life goes on.

However one thing this taught me, don't ask for too much from the devs for Siege because you're not going to get it. I fully agree that the principle of Nightstalkers ideas sound great. But realistically, I see zero chance of implementation by the devs.

Why'd I make my suggestion? People complain it's a pain to live out of bank boxes. It's a pain to live out of bank boxes because there's not enough space in your bankbox to keep all the stuff you need. With the advent of AoS and item based combat, GENERALLY speaking, the number of items one needs to keep to live has DRAMATICALLY increased, yet the 125 storage limit has been around for at least as long as I have played. Back when I first started, all I needed was a spear, bandages, a set of armour, and a few potions and I could do anything. Now I need several pieces of armour to balance my resists, a spear to hunt dragons with, a spear to pvp with, a spear to hunt spiders with, etc etc. On top of purple petals, orange petals, apples, and of course the list goes on and on.

Because it is very difficult to live out of ones bank box, and people are generally attached to their homes on their home shards (at least before they start playing Siege), people seem reluctant to come here. So, a very SIMPLE change by the devs to increase the bank box storage, could potentially alleviate the problem of living out of ones bank box. Because it in theory should take very little programming time by the devs to change this, it has a higher chance of implementation than say Nightstalkers Idea (Which I admit is a much better idea). This is why I always keep my suggestions for Siege simple, even though it may not be what I really think should happen. Because lets be honest, even if 100% of Siege's population supported the increased bank box idea, the chance of it occuring is probably minimal.