1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

IndustryGamers: Richard Garriott Would Like to Collaborate on More Ultima with EA

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Vlaude, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Vlaude

Vlaude Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

2. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

Well we areeeee short a producer.........

:stir:

3. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

IndustryGamers asked Garriott if he could still collaborate with EA. "We would be open to that. In fact, we’ve had some discussions at what I’ll call very high levels, but the individuals who are currently shepherding the property don’t seem to be particularly interested in that

:(:(:(

BRING LORD BRITISH BACK!!!!!! :thumbup:

4. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

If those individual(s) are who I think they are, let's hope to god their plans die quickly, after seeing what they did to Warhammer Online.

5. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Shepherding the property. Well, we got some changes along those lines recently. Hrrrmmmmm.

This is very exciting news!

I wish they could turn out some kind of other Ultima in support and create a little outside interest.

6. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Take those people out and smack them around with a herring.

7. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Isnt Ultima4Ever the equivalent of the new Facebook FTP WAR?

It is amazing how in a short amount of time suddenly so many new features and content can be added, specifically this publish, as opposed to the usual trickle when developers arent working on other projects, like Ultima4Ever.

8. Vlaude

Vlaude Lore Keeper

Here is the full article written by James Brightman for those who don't want to click a link:

9. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

It would be the equivalent of the Facebook games Dragon Age Legends and Lords of Ultima.

The Warhammer arenas game is some kind of subset of the main Warhammer game, but it's an actual standalone game and doesn't run through Facebook like those others. I think it's their last gasp at trying to save Warhammer.

But you are actually talking about the person who was I thinking of - Paul Barnett. Unfortunately it sounded like he had some kind of contract between GW and EA that keeps him around as long as Warhammer is going and so he survived the Mythic purge, and he seems to be trying to worm his way into a different job. He's been shopping the Ultima4Ever thing around for a while to various executives if Ultima Aira is right. They let him put up a website for Ultima4Ever but that seems like all they are inclined to do.

My two favorite quotes about him from another forum:
    When I read that Cal was let go or left, my biggest fear is that Barnett would try and worm his way into the UO producer's position. That would get me to quit within a few days, after I emptied my houses into bankboxes and backpacks.

Oh god, I just thought about it, if you're right and Ultima4Ever was considered the equivalent of the Warhammer arena game, as in a game meant to draw people interested in the IP back to EA games, that means that Barnett will publicly trash the **** out of UO to sell Ultima4Ever, because that's exactly what he did to Warhammer Online when he was promoting the Warhammer arenas game.

10. yars

yars Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

all hail the king baby

11. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Short a producer... Garriot wants to do more Ultima...

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

12. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Garriott obviously deserves a lot of credit; he invented Ultima and also invented UO.

However, at the end of the day, I would question how well he actually understands MMOs and their nature.

Firstly, he at one time apparently thought that basically unrestricted PvP could be a good idea because player justice could constrain it. It bewilders me that anyone would ever think anything could happen other than what eventually did. Human nature is what it is. Such circumstances can only ever have one result.

Secondly, he's stated that he thinks people play MMOs to feel like heroes, and that it's an issue that, in an environment where everyone is a hero, everyone is by definition average. From the context, he basically appears to think that MMOs are just like single player games that are played cooperatively.

This misses the point to an alarming degree. When you wander around Great Lakes, or I suspect any particularly populated shards, whom you run into aren't the heroes....They are just characters out doing their things, earning a living. Not everyone plays these games to be a hero.

That is the potential of MMOs, I would argue. The potential to play in a fantasy environment and not be the Big Hero.

And finally.....Lord British the character? He fulfilled his purpose and his time has long passed. He invented the ideals we lived by, he guided us for a time. But now is a time for mortals and our ways. (That's one of the reasons I liked the character of Dawn so much. She was "one of us." I couldn't see her running off to the Ethereal Void on some misguided mission to guard an artifact, and leaving her people behind. But, alas, the team was persuaded by others on that point.)

-Galen's player

13. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

While I don't think anybody expected PvP early on in UO to be what it was, he changed his attitude at some point:

Official Soulrift Website

Lest we forget, UO2 was not going to be a full-on open PVP world, and he talked quite a bit discussions that were had both at the lower levels and at his level.

He's also talked a lot about the social and farming aspects of games like Farmville and how the social web games tapped into the huge market of people who like to tinker with those kinds of systems.

14. Vrog Groggor

Vrog Groggor Guest

I would LOVE to see Lord British have creative reigns again. There is not a single doubt in my mind that he'd churn out some fantastic changes.

Sadly... EA would never go for it :(

15. Neutron Bomb

Neutron Bomb Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Holy crap....bring on THE KING!

Maybe that's why they were so hush hush about Calvin leaving until he was gone. Maybe Garriot gave a strong inquiry and the Gods above have granted him passage to lead the reigns again...Sosaria could only hope.

16. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Garriott would rather do a UO2 before he would ever take the reigns of the existing UO.

He's spent 30 years trying to move forward with the latest hardware and technology - he pushed to use new engines in each successive Ultima game (excluding the spinoffs) and wanted to move on to a UO2 shortly after UO launched, using what they learned from UO to make UO2 a better game.

It would go against everything he's done over the last 30 years to take over UO.

He's working on a Lord British game in his "third phase of gaming" or whatever he's calling it, and my guess is that he wants to use some Ultima aspects to help it out.

17. PitrGri

PitrGri Guest

Past tense there... I believe you have nailed why UO died... duping, greed, money making, cheating, scripting and bullying... once virtue died out, so did UO.
    (facebook will bump it again, soon)

18. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I would not think the past tense is entirely warranted.

Plenty of characters still live by the Virtues or strive to. (And striving is really all there can be.....Lord British's affair with a married scullery maid in one of the single-player games is alone proof enough of that.)

And plenty of players don't cheat.

Plenty of players aren't particularly greedy either....I play a greedy character, Galen is the UO equivalent of one of those guys who's been so poor in his life that he holds onto every penny no matter how many pennies he's got, but does that make me a greedy player? Maybe so, maybe not. But plenty of players, or characters, aren't especially greedy.

A lot of the greediest most cheating-est players I am aware of were certainly so during the earlier days if they played or doubtlessly would have been if they had.

And so forth.

-Galen's player

19. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Hasn't everything that Garriott touched since he left UO flopped?

Tabula Rasa anyone?

I certainly don't want him back on UO, EA is doing a good enough job killing it as it is.

20. Neutron Bomb

Neutron Bomb Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Didn't he have a hand in Lineage I and II? I may be mistaken. They had millions of subs....in Asia.

21. Prime.

Prime. Sage
    Stratics Veteran

That's a millions subs we don't have... Anywhere.