1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

informal poll- Why are you a melee fighter?

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by Stupid Miner, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Just to clarify, I mean Swords, Fencing, Macing, and anyone insane enough to use wrestling as a weapon skill. NOT Archery

Why did you choose a hand-to-hand fighter?
  2. Simple. It's more of a challenge to go toe to toe with a creature than it is to sit back in relative safety such as tamers, mages, and archers do. I prefer the challenge.
  3. Divster

Divster Guest

as above. I have an aversion to ranged templates as I don't like the idea of not closing with my opponent, whoever that may be :) just a personal predisposition but its always made me feel uncomfortable playing as mages tamers and archers.
  4. Wolfman

Wolfman Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Gilfane

May 18, 2008
    I am the tank for my tamer and mage friends.....I can withstand some punishment...they cannot ;)
  5. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 12, 2008
    because my samurai paladin can go anyplace and do anything ...solo!
  6. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Oct 9, 2008
    I like being close to the action. As a melee fighter it is a much different perspective then fighting from afar. It is difficult to tell with Ultima Online but with other online games, it is quite evident. You see everything that is occurring, while the back line jobs maintain their distance since they cannot withstand repeated blows from the enemy.

Secondly, when I first started out all of the friends that I had played mages and other classes. It is an opportunity for a person to keep an enemies attention and hence, tank as it were.

I won't go into skill or high damage argument, but I like playing melee fighters as well because bar none...most every game you have a top damage dealer that is melee.

Whether called assassin, warrior, ranger, thief, dark knight or what have you...a properly geared melee fighter can put out faster damage over time then any other class.

The main argumentation and logic about the above statement is this:

1. I won't run out of arrows
    2. I won't have to rest to replenish MP (the bane of every mage...it really is inevitable. At least if you are soloing).

Consequently, that leaves Melee fighter's. I like keeping the mobs attention and dealing large, consistent damage. That is why I play a melee fighter.
  7. GFY

GFY Guest

I like it for tanking peerless and for the ability to hunt big game solo.

I also like it because it's more of a challenge then using my tamer and saying, "all kill!"