1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Inside UO

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Petra Fyde, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Lots of people like to use it for designing, Mesanna often suggests it, but as most of you know, it stopped working when Mythic changed the file types.
    I've done some looking into this, most of the required files are still in the CC folder and you simply need to edit the file paths to point to them, however there are just 5 vital files that are missing.
    What is needed is a copy of those files before the upgrade.
    I (personally, not Stratics) do have a back up of the older files, but I'm afraid I hadn't been very diligent about keeping my backup upto date.
    Here are the missing, vital file names, and the dates and sizes of the copies I have.
    Code:
    art.mul         06/12/2010     110,884kb
    artidx.mul     06/12/2010     960kb
    gumpart.mul     11/10/2010      57,722kb
    gumpidx.mul     11/10/2010     718kb
    map0.mul     26/10/2010     87,808kb

If anyone can better those, and send me them, I would be delighted to re-instate the insideuo download page. It's still there, just not visible. Here's the link http://uo.stratics.com/heptazane/insideuo/
    Also on that page is a download of the source code

Flagg, AirmidCecht, Queen Mum and 4 others like this.
  2. Lord Obsidian

Lord Obsidian Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Benefactor

I could provide you with these versions (latest versions right before the conversion to the uop format in march 2012):
    Code:
    art.mul       11.01.2012   115'042'942
    artidx.mul    11.01.2012       982'608
    gumpart.mul   26.10.2011    61'253'976
    gumpidx.mul   26.10.2011       734'928
    map0.mul      11.01.2012    89'915'392  (that could be the snowy map - have to verify that)

I will contact you via PM with a (private) download link to get the files if you wish. (Or, if you have space where I could upload them directly to Stratics, you could contact me - whatever is easier for you.)

Queen Mum and Lord Frodo like this.
  3. Petra Fyde

Thank you, that would be excellent! Please let me know where I can download them, or if you use dropbox, I am [email protected]

#3 Petra Fyde, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    startle, Lord Nabin and Queen Mum like this.
  4. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry for the n00b question but what is Inside UO for?

5. Petra Fyde

designing things like town banners, the bank deco contest etc.

6. Voodoo Bad Mojo

Voodoo Bad Mojo Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend 4H

its a free form thing
    its kinda like the customize house thing for a house plot, except its for the game itself.
    so you can use all the in game graphics to create stuff like a town banner or stuff for contests (like the brit bank one)
    some people have used it to make little video comics in years past.

7. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Inside UO is a program that reads all of the internal files and converts them into a displayable format.

For the EC and possibly the newer files, you want the program UO Reader.

DJAd likes this.
  8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

9. Petra Fyde

uo reader would give access to the most recent artwork.

It is a little difficult to find things, but I've found Pinco's item id function helps with that enormously.

Storm likes this.
  10. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Younger than Kelmo, but also in the way...
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

Interesting!

11. Selistrana

Selistrana Visitor

could someone get InsideUO to work, the UO:Reader is not the same, no copy Files, no Thumbnails to all Items, you have to search for years.

12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

You're right it hasn't worked for a very long time and you can't submit a banner without working one up using something. Honestly it's like they promote folk going to free servers and messing around since you honestly need to get the items to put them together in some sort of paint like program to use to build a design and submit it. It's not like out can go out in the world and do things. Now one work around is to build things on a plot ... but as it was quickly found with the "redo" the bank deco contest ..... the only way to really do that and win was to go start up a free server or have access to one and design away.... since a project that big really needed help. So many who I'm sure WOULD have designed something awesome couldn't.

At any rate having the codes for ID's and such and being able to find things in the art is kinda fun and interesting.... and extremely useful if you are decorating and such something like a banner or even a memorial. But it hasn't worked in a very long time and most of us don't keep old versions of UO files laying about.

But having something like that working again would be nice..... would also be nice if someone could get UOBuilder working again since that allowed you to use a program that basically allowed you to use something outside UO to simulate customization of housing. And it would be nice if we had something like that to redesign castles and keeps so we could submit them for consideration. But that's not likely to happen either.

13. Petra Fyde

I've actually gotten fairly competent at find things in uoreader. If I can help at all, please just drop me a pm.

14. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

I would have to think those files could be pulled off old UO install disks?

OREOGL likes this.
  15. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

The problem with InsideUO is none of us have the source code for it, we can't update it to make it work. Unless the original author of it decides to take it on, it is stuck in its current state.

16. Arroth Thaiel

Arroth Thaiel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Kinda like the classic client. :D

Hannes Erich and MalagAste like this.
  17. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

In order to get inside UO working you have to convert the uop files to mul..but it does still work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

I've looked into converting the .uop files, but there doesn't seem to be anything that accomplishes the task without jumping through a lot of hoops.

The hilarious thing is, this was done to stop the free shards from stealing the modern art assets...but they know how to easily gut and rebuild the .uop files without a problem. Its just another measure to curtail cheating that's only harmed the honest players.

So if you have something that easily converts the files, please share with the class!

Hannes Erich likes this.
  19. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think I can technically "share" it here. But if you google it it isn't exactly hard to find. Just takes a bit of poking around. Partially because you can then convert them back and "hack" the art files, if you wanted to put in the extra work. Convert .UOP to .MUL is where I'd most likely start if I was looking..

Imho it shouldn't be taboo..they should encourage the community to design new art work. Put out the files used for EC and if you make a new weapon type make it in both clients could expedite faster art publishs
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dot_Warner likes this.
  20. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The source code for InsideUO is hosted on Stratics:

UO Stratics - Heptazane - InsideUO

21. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

No...la