1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Internet Problems

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kage, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Okay I'm trying to identify my problem so I can tell my cable company what is wrong.

When I first got this internet it ran fine for about 3 months. before I swapped to it I had AT&T DSL and had about 3 megs...

When I got this internet from Klip Interactive and that's a small time cable TV company in my area I only got around 1 meg at the time it was fine. But now around 6-7pm. Eastern it goes to ****... and I am averaging only around 90 - 150 kbs... and upload for only 300-360kbs It normally stays like this until around 12 - 3am then goes back to normal.

So if anyone out there has any clue to what may be wrong please let me know so I can actually tell my Cable company what the problem is. Thanks.

[​IMG]

This pic is from this speed test site at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

[​IMG]

2. Monolith

Monolith Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Looks like you run fine on UO.....your definitely faster than me. If your having problems.......My internet must be crap.

3. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

ohh im no engineer or anything but umm #12 is putting it to ya man.

4. Goron

Goron Guest

you are sharing too small a pipe in your area.
    Too many users, too little bandwidth.

You are seeing the lag during prime time usage hours.

There is little you can do about it other than request your provider to increase the pipesize, change provider, or mitigate your own latency issues within your home/apartment.

Make sure your modem is the first thing the cable hits when it gets to the house after only one split. In other words, the cable that comes to your house should hit one good splitter, half should go to the modem, the other half should then be split as needed to fuel the rest of the house (TVs, etc); rather than having the modem sitting after several splitters.

5. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Goron nailed it. You said it's a small cable company, they can't handle the amount of bandwidth they've sold. When everyone gets online after dinner in the evening, yer screwed.

DSL doesn't have these issues (pipeline breakdown) TTBOMK. DSL issues usually stem from your distance to the hub.

6. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Hop 12 clearly shows that the problem is when your ISP hits the AT&T lines. You need to report this to your provider.

They may or may not be able to change the routing. If they wont do it, leave them.

P.S. I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you people post your trace routes, you really should block out the first 2-3 hops.

7. Goron

Goron Guest

before pegging the problem on hop 12 so hard... I'll share a similar story:
    My interweb started sucking every night at around 8 or 9 pm. It sucked hardcore. I ran tracert's, I ran speed checks, I called Comcast and bitched, I had a guy come to my house and test it, etc...

I could always peg the problem on hop 8. Everything before was ~10-30ms but hop 8 was ~135-200ms. Every night. During the day: everything was fine, very late night: everything was fine... But from 9pm to 2am it was horrid.

Finally I got the Comcast people to come to my house a second time. This time, the guy helped me to rewire my own house. We replaced a a splitter with a better one, and we cut one split completely out. We replaced a section of cable too.

That night, my interweb problems were gone. Hop 8 showed 30ms. Same with the night after. And the night after. The perceived problems I was getting from hop 8 were actually mostly not hop 8's fault at all- Cuz the problem with tracert is you are directly pinging a switch, rather than just having your packets routed through them. IF hop 12 was truely causing so much latency, every hop after would be affected, because your packets traveling to 13, 14, and 15 pass through hop 12 on the way. The fact that your destination ping is not high alone shows that hop 12 really isn't affecting the destination latency much at all (maybe you are losing packets on the way though)

So before putting all your time and resources into getting hop 12 'fixed', I'd suggest working a little with what you actually have access to and see if you can help on your end.

A quick google search of cr2.wswdc.ip.att.net shows that switch seems to cause a lot of people problems... so I am sure ATT knows about it, and I'd like to hope they are planning on doing something about it, but again, remember that it is not actually affecting your destination latency much at all...

8. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I changed my tv from cable to directtv. now my internet is just using the cable and it is not split out to the tv. I have no problems of slowdowns anymore.
    even thou they give $10/month discount for having both, I can live without that.

9. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Not trying to insult you, but you don't understand how tracert works. The times that are reported back are the times BETWEEN the hops, not the times between your computer and a particular switch. I think you are getting confused with pingpath command.

As you said, there is a known issue with that switch. You can either wait for it to be corrected, Request an alternate path via your ISP or switch ISP's.

Rewiring your house solved a problem clearly, but it was not related to the hop, most likely that was a co-incidence.

This might help you understand tracert better...

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1053569.html

10. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Well it's all cool thanks everyone for the help. I will be dropping them on april 7th and will be back with AT&T on April 6th... So ya back to 6 megs!!!

11. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Zing!

Love it when Vortex lets ya know wassup :)

I get the same feeling when Rykus does the same...all tingly like!

*continues the nyquil trance*

12. Goron

Goron Guest

from the link you provided I make this quote:
    please explain? I read that as telling me the values are the round trip time from the source to the switch. what am I missing? How do you interpret that as saying it is the time between each step?

EDIT: and I'm not trying to act smart and argue... I always thought that was how tracert works and the link you provided only makes me think I am correct. Obviously I am missing something if I'm wrong...

13. Goron

Goron Guest

A quick google search came up with several more descriptions of how tracert works:

http://blog.eukhost.com/webhosting/reading-a-traceroute-report/

http://help.korax.net/troubleshooting/traceroute/

I do not claim either of those websites to be reliable sources, but both seem to support my understanding of how tracert works...

14. Goron

Goron Guest

yeah, I hate to say it but after doing a bit more reading I am confident I am actually right.

Not to mention, its pathping, not pingpath... And even then, pathping operates very similarly to tracert... all it does is send multiple packets to each hop to gather ping based statistics...

AND... on this note:
    ZING. Dang T'Challa, I sure do love that tingly feeling... hows it feel to look a fool? lulz. (vortex, this ZING moment is not directed to you in any way, you were not a pompous arse and I believe you had the best of intentions.)

15. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Don't know what to say Goron. I read it differently here:

And thats the way I was taught to read it. Its possible I was taught wrong, but then shouldn't ALL tracerts result in the numbers getting higher for each hop? I have very rarely seen one where the numbers increase every hop.