1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is Blackrock Infection Still Working?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Sir Scott, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Lord Sir Scott

Lord Sir Scott Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Get my voice all the time, used to randomly infect Dragons and the like in dungons all the time.

But it has been a long time that i have infected anything... So i wonder if the infection Epidemic is still ongoing or will these voices fade away soon?

thanks
    Lord Sir Scott

2. Its turned off.

I wish it would return permanently. It was lots of fun..... Except the Infected Peerless :)
    During the Candle of Love event I spawned 2 infected Ogre Lord Lords. Even saw an infected Suduva.
    I miss it.

My Armageddon lovin mage always carries a stash of rocks on him just in case it gets turned back on.

3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Shame they turned it off..... I had such fun.... the infected Ancient Wyrm was a HOOT!.....

I should tell you a story about that one.....

Guild: Say what are we doing tonight??

Me: Oh I don't know.... we could do a hunt!

Guild: Ok what will we hunt?

Me: Oh I don't know how about Ancient Wyrms?

Guild: Er, Ok where? I don't want any paragon ones! I don't think we can handle that!

Me: Ok lets go to Destard then...

So off we go..... and about the third one that spawned what do you know..... hehe maybe I shouldn't always carry that piece of blackrock!....

Was a blackrock infected one! All the guild was like WTH!!!!!!! I'm like.... er... Opps!

We got a cool chest off it though for the castle....

I miss blackrock infecting.... I think it should be on all the time..... that's why I carry that stuff.

4. Heh... I forgot that I am carrying an insured piece. Same thing happend to me when it was turned on. But it was more like a HooOOoT.

5. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Is is it still possible to infect a character with black rock, I miss the voices... they were my friends!

6. Once a character is infected it should remain that way. Ive been hearing voices for over 2 1/2 years now :)

Armageddon can still be cast, I did it the other night. The toon was already infected though so I dont know if new infections can happen.

7. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ooh I wish it would be turned back on! This is yet another one of the things on my big ol' list of UO things that I didn't have time to mess around with, but was always planning to get to!

8. I really wish they would turn it back on. A lot of my hunting trips were specifically aimed at getting new boxes for my collection. It was very cool to get boxes from some of the invasions from monsters that you normally wouldn't be able to get one from because they were either ONLY invasion monsters or are ONLY in areas that are immune to blackrock. My favorites are the Berserker Daemon and Dark Guardian boxes I was lucky enough to get.

9. arkanos

arkanos Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

i even got a black slippery snakeskin from a br infected ophidian. Don´t think there are many around... I also wish they´d turn it back on.
    Aris of Europa

10. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I replaced the character that was infected, I want to infect another, got some blackrock, will see if it still works.

11. WildWobble

WildWobble Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Yes its off at the moment and yes can still infect a new character with it!

My newest 120 mage just infected herself last week :)

12. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Was there ever a patch note about this?

13. gmcbroom

gmcbroom Guest

I have a small piece of black rock I picked up a few days ago. i don't here anything though. How do I turn that on? I'd like to be able to hear those voices and even infect something.
    :) Yeah I know I cant infect anything but how about my character?

14. Place the rock at your feet and say," Vas Kal An Mani In Corp Hur Tym".

Magery or Necro are needed I think. In the beginning you had to be 120 to cast but I think that may have changed.

Be warned tho....you'll lose your rock and possibly die (more than likely) in the process :)

15. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

The spell is "Armageddon". It's supposed to kill... everything. It's fairly obvious why no one has managed to cast it "properly" yet. You get some pretty fireworks though.

You didn't need skill to cast it in the Ethereal Void. There, you could do so without becoming blackrock infected. It did 50% damage to Shadow Lords (so if you ran up to one which had full health, you'd smack it for 25,000hp - instant looting rights and a Cloak of Corruption).

16. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Which was good fun don't you know!..... I know my stealth archer did it often enough!...

17. i do think i saw someplace that they have plans to turn this back on, but i dont have the patience to search from 1000's of posts for it.
    i personally loved blackrock infected monsters. awesome fun stuff!!!
    turn it back on soon ...pleeeease.
    :danceb:

18. as long as they don't bring back that blackrock ele!

19. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Its still around, at least they are on Great lakes.

The infection was turned of for the invasion and im assuming it will be back soon, guess they didnt want us to fight an infected crimson :(

20. Kariny

Kariny UO Lake Superior News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

*Begs pretty please!*

It amps up the lower, easier spawn! I love the challenge it gives. Not to mention the blackrock ele's are hilarious when they pop on scripters.

21. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Guest

Did anyone ever post a list of monsters that dropped Blackrock Infected Chests?

22. Any monster that has a chance to drop a treasure map has a chance to drop a blackrock box.

I just wish they'd go ahead and turn it back on. BR infected monsters added a bit of surprise to hunting that I really liked.

23. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, turn it back on!

24. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

this is new to me so if I go fight titans with BR on me they have a chance to drop a br box?

25. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, but it's disabled now.

I you were carrying blackrock, nearby monsters could become "infected", becoming a shadowy grey and tougher (about half-way to paragon toughness). Just as paragon versions of creatures that drop treasure maps have a 1-in-10 chance to drop chests, blackrock-infected creatures would have a similar chance to drop a small black box.

It's not clear if it was intentionally turned off or not (it happened around the time that blackrock was made insurable), but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a prototype of some mechanic that appears in SA.

26. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I knew about the infection ! just not the box part thats cool hope they turn it back on!

27. MalagAste

Oh I totally agree..... I very much enjoyed the "risk" of blackrock.

28. Any way to kill the BRE's? I've heard it being done, just not how. I think a few still spawn north of the Ophidian Lair in Ilshenar.

29. Yes, it is possible. Me and a group of about 7 managed to take one down(in about an hour!). They spawn in trammel or fel not ilshnear.

hint: The river is your friend

30. Right, I got that wrong. It's the lost lands just north of the Ophidian Lair. What tactics did you use to take it down?

31. I cant tell you it all...but ill say this, half of our group never hit it!!

And as i said...the river is your friend :p

32. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'd say archers. I killed them myself when they were spawning near the rocks. Bard with elemental slayer instrument. Disco + Provo = Dead BRE. The trick was to get 2 to fight then get another or something else to kill one off because they could fight each other all day.

33. Problem is when they hit 1/2 health and they do pretty much 1hit kills on all that are attacking it(over 100% reflect damage)

34. AND why can't you tell it all? Is it some secret? It's not like there are even two people at a time in the Lost Lands.

35. Dont want to ruin all your fun!!

If you really really want to know and not try to do it yourself, i can tell you.

Although i will be disappointed, UO used to be about finding ways to kill the unkillable, now its getting to the point of, i cant do it...its not fair...someone do it for me

(P.S. Not directed at you in particular...just a blanket statement about the whole of uo's population)

36. red sky

red sky Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I agree, randomness is awesome. :thumbsup: