1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

is parry calculated before or after weapon block

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by frostbolt, Feb 9, 2010.

  1. frostbolt

    frostbolt Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    44
    so at 120 parry i get a parry chance of 35%

    is this calculated along with my weapon block chance or is it calculated afterwards?

    like say something with 120 weapon attacks me when i have 120 weapon skill with 45 % dci and i have a 35 % chance to be hit

    if the first calculation goes against me and the monster is supposed to hit
    is that when the parry chance kicks in

    as in i get a 2nd number roll of 35% to see if i get hit or not if i fail my weapon skill check?
     
  2. From the wording here:

    * http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.php

    I interpret parry chance as being calculated along with weapon block chance. Specifically,

    1) Determine Speed of Attack
    2) Determine % Chance to Hit
    3) Modify for Chance to Block an Attack

    Step 3 doesn't start with "Determine", implying to me steps 2 and 3 result in a single calculation.
     
  3. RichDC

    RichDC Guest

    Near enough i always interpret it as...

    If you have 120weapon skill 45dci vs 120weapon skill 45hci...you will be hit 50% of the time.

    If you have 120 parry you will block 35% of these hits.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    If you have 0 weapon skill 0 dci vs 120 weapon skill 45hci you will get hit 100% of the time

    If you have 120 parry you will block 35% of these hits.
     
  4. frostbolt

    frostbolt Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    44
    ok so lets see if i got this right

    first thing that is calculated is whether or not i get hit using weapon skill/hci/dci

    then from parry theres is a 35% chance to block that attack

    so if i get attacked 100 times

    with 120 /120 45 hci vs 45 dci

    ill be hit 50 times

    but with parry i will only be hit 33 times

    that about right?
     
  5. A Rev

    A Rev Guest

    Sounds about right, im not working it out but im assuming 17 is 35% of 50??

    Obviously this doesnt account for the very streaky RNG
     
  6. Now, everyone figure out the % chance that you'll reach the point where parry chance actually comes into play if you've got 120 wep skill, with 45 DCI and the opponent has been hit with HLA....
     
  7. Stupid Miner

    Stupid Miner Guest

    Why would you parry what they failed to hit you with in the first place. :confused:

    Too much number interplay that we're only speculating on here.

    It depends if HCI interacts with DCI by subtracting, or dividing.
     
  8. dlwiii

    dlwiii Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    0
    The way I understand it is that parry is completely independent of the hit chance calculation.

    First, the chance for a mob to hit you is calculated based on your weapon skill and DCI. DCI weighs just the same amount as weapon skill, so 100 skill plus 20 DCI is the same as 120 skill and no DCI.

    Parry is calculated only based on your own skills - and is not related to the monster you are fighting at all! Your chance to parry Rikktor is the same as your chance to parry a mongbat.

    The parry calculation is done when calculating the amount of damage done. And the damage calculation only occurs if the hit succeeds. If the parry check passes, then no damage is done.

    So - if you're fighting something easy like a mongbat, then it will never hit you at all, so parry is not relevant. You'll never miss it.

    But - if you're fighting a tough boss, then it will likely hit you often. Parry will reduce the number of landed blows (successful hits) by your parry chance.

    If the boss swings 100 times and hits you 10, with no parry, it damages you 10 times. If you have 50% parry (just to make it simple), then it will damage you only 5 times (on average of course).

    That is the simple way of thinking about parry. If a monster hits you, parry gives you a chance to avoid damage. For a mongbat, it does not matter, but for a high-end boss it can matter quite alot, since it may be the only way you avoid blows.
     
  9. A Rev

    A Rev Guest

    *YAWN*

    That was too easy...it equates to 41% chance to hit [being the attacker] or 59%chance to avoid [Defender]

    so...

    59% chance to not be hit

    35% chance to parry {120parry with shield}

    = 73.35% chance to totally avoid attack.
     
  10. frostbolt

    frostbolt Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    44
    you wouldnt mind posting the formula you used to calculate that would you?
     
  11. A Rev

    A Rev Guest

    Hit Chance% = ( ( [Attacker's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Attacker's Hit Chance Increase] ) divided by
    ( [Defender's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Defender's Defense Chance Increase] * 2 ) ) * 100
    Minimum hit Chance% is 2% at all times.


    Thats to work out the 41% Hit chance.

    Then you do 35% * 41% to give you the percentage of the 41% you will parry, which equalls 14.35% add that to the 59% chance to avoid hit.
     
  12. frostbolt

    frostbolt Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    44
    most pvm monsters dont have hit chance increase though right?
     
  13. A Rev

    A Rev Guest

    No pvm monsters have HCI or...as far as i know...HLD
     
  14. frostbolt

    frostbolt Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    44
    so basically against a pvm monster its just a 13% difference of whether or not you will be hit with or without parry
     
  15. RichDC

    RichDC Guest

    11.9% chance difference.

    Well...technically yea, but alot more plays a factor in it...RNG being the biggest.

    Plus some mobs have over 120 weapon skill so they hit more than the 50% [34% with 45% DCI]