1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is stratics hacked again or do you just need better programmers

Discussion in 'UHall' started by NASA, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NASA

NASA Guest

Whats up w/stratics vunerabilities. Norton says this site is unsafe and has 24 driveby downloads.
    MSIE ADODB.Stream Object File Installation Weakness

2. Yen Sid

Yen Sid Guest

/Facepalm

IBTL, these always get locked :sad4:.

3. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Like this one did - http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=212345 - AFTER it was pointed out the best thing to do is report these first to the Stratics folks to investigate.

Since this particular 'alert' is only happening after the latest Norton update, and relates to a 'vulnerability' that was fixed in a set of Windows updates in 2006, it's not likely to be anything more serious that a 'false alarm' from Norton, but it needs checking up on first - before the 'Stratics is dangerous' comments start flying about and demands they get better programmers fire up yet again.....

4. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Could not have said it better.

5. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Well Said Aurelius.

6. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Please report these things to George or Petra, making drama threads is not helpful

And this:

7. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Good job ...

NASA - why not follow the request and just PM/email as has been requested? Also, is Norton the ONLY AV product you are using? Should actually use 2 or more.

I know from experience in the last 12 years that Norton is especially "false alarm" prone. They've taken over as #1 in that regard from McAfee who used to be like that.

How to scare IT folks: get a trojan alert from a MSDN installation CD. It happened with McAfee and Norton in my shop. Two different instances ... all related to MS processing of some of their internal code. <shrug>

8. jack flash uk

jack flash uk Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

McAfee does not give any of the alerts

so glad i got rid of Norton 360, big pile of crap

knowing my luck i will get a virus now;)

9. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Norton is a steaming pile of crap. You are far better off with something else: NOD32, AVG, Avast (the one I personally use). All those are far more reliable than anything Norton has ever released, and what makes it even worse is just about anything you get from Norton is invasive, and a resource pig. Ditch Norton, your computer will thank you, and your personal information will be safer if you choose something else.

The only virus I have ever gotten in 15 years of experience with computers was from a file that I first scanned with a fully up to date Norton antivirus.

10. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Completely agree, I remember installing the Norton 360 Beta years ago and it was a HUGE hog, I couldn't use my computer at times.

I use the free version of AVG, Scans at 3am and I don't hear a peep out of it, Best free software I have imo.

I'm also one of the people who believe Norton make viruses themselves just to make Norton look good. :D

11. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Trend Micro says Stratics is cool. That is good enough for me. I will bring bring this up to the powers that be...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.