1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is there anything we can do?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Lord_Puffy, May 27, 2009.

1. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Or is it too late?

1. Gilfane 85
    2. It's That Time 28
    3. Citizens of Wispwood Shire 27
    4. Crusaders of the Eight Virtues 22
    5. Treasure and Treachery 22
    6. Go show Ha 20
    7. Treasure & Treachery 2 War 19
    8. DELUCIA TRADE ASOCIATION 18
    9. The White Crusaders 18
    10. Newborn on Siege 14

Thats our shards top guilds numbers... what the hell happened? :cursing:

Total number is 273, how many of these players in each guild have multiple chars in the guild as well... this isnt me bashing uo or siege, but more of a question as to what happened, and if there is anything that can be done to change this.

Nor is this a troll... kelmo...

2. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

WOW...talk about holy ****...

3. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I have a Characters in TnT , TnT 2 , TNA .

4. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Visitor
    Stratics Veteran Crimson Savages CLAN

I am new here so apologize in advance if this is incorrect, but when clicking on the guild roster ( I am in NEW), I count over 50 players.

Not sure where these numbers posted above come from.

5. shipwrek

shipwrek Guest

Good customer based development and a marketing plan with a budget?

If the focus group for SA is a realistic picture of the target market and the developers/managers actually follow their advice, that should help much in pulling people back.

I stumbled across news about KR and that pulled me back out of curiosity. A couple of dollars toward marketing would help a great deal, assuming there is something good to market.

If EA doesn't market the product, they can have the best game of the century. Word of mouth alone isn't going to be good enough to fuel this bus.

The players (that are left) are doing their part. They're playing. I bet 2/3s of the customer base isn't even playing, but still paying. I wonder what the ratio of houses to active players looks like.

To answer your question, no, I don't think there is anything we can do.

6. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

In your guild roster you´ll see all the characters that are guilded. The site where he got the numbers from only show names of characters that has logged in during the past month.

Another thing is that the numbers presented in the OP is only veteran members. So if you look at Gilfane for example, you´ll see 85 veteran members but 127 members in total.

So those numbers aren´t correct...

7. Bruin

Bruin Guest

To put it in perspective, from the web archives, here is what it was back in december 2002 here:

1. Shadowclan Orcs 66
    2. Q 55
    3. KGB Faction 51
    4. DELUCIA TRADE ASOCIATION 47
    5. Citizens of Wispwood Shire 46
    6. The undead 42
    7. Knights of the Round Table 39
    8. The Blackoak Brigands 32
    9. The Undead Lords 31
    10. The Cabal - Guardian's Chosen 30

Here we have 439 members, back when siege was "populated", or today we have 62% of the number of members in the top 10 guilds as we did back then.

Yes, there's no doubt there are fewer players, but how many fewer are truley a question. I don't think it's as bad as it looks, even if we have 50% fewer players than we used to, it looks like we have 90% fewer players with everyone running stealth etc etc.

How do we fix it? I have some thoughts, but keep in mind, when the only difference between a "populated" shard and "unpopulated" shard is about 166 members in the top 10 guilds, i'm sure with a well thought out campaign we could easily attract 166 characters.

8. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

Also let's not forget that not everyone playing is in a guild. None of my characters are ( I have five, all played more or less actively these days ) nor ever have been, and I often see people around that are guildless also.

9. WOW some of the guilds names bring me back to thinking of the good days.

10. Calyip

Calyip Guest

Here is the problem. Since then Land mass has increased what, 300%? And players are less active now.

11. Nurse Miss Maude

Nurse Miss Maude Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

In addition to the guildless people there are 163 guilds on that page on Siege. We're all well aware that population is down......but there still chars on the shard that aren't represented. As was already mentioned there are a LOT of stealthers around.

Edit - Take a look at the numbers on some of the other shards Mugen for one.

12. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

In 10 minutes I've seen 5 people shopping at my Moonglow shop.

They didn't all see each other though :D

13. Nurse Miss Maude

Stratics Veteran

Another point, if population was so very low on the shard we would see more houses gone. i doubt very seriously people would keep an account open just to have a house on a shard they were not intending to play on from time to time.
    It's also getting to be that time of year. When people are outside more and not inside playing video games.

14. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

*Cries*

15. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Sure is,get a new development team if not...way of the dodo?

And make sure if SA comes out that it doesn't have bug/exploits/unbalanced as SE...

16. Rykus

Rykus Guest

I haven't actively walked Sosaria in at least a year, and the other night I decided to go for a stroll to some of my old hang-outs. I was absolutely floored at the number of open 18x18 spots within a 2 minutes run, or less, from Umbra. When I started here about 5 years ago, there were no spots to be had in the desert south of Umbra, and the closest spot I could place near any town was the north side of the lake by Iantown.

My point is that there most definitely is a sharp decline in houses compared to a few years ago, and a very noticeable difference in just a year.

17. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

QFT...

18. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

19. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

QFTx2...

20. Nurse Miss Maude

Stratics Veteran

I would have to say you might need it.

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Ebb and flow... The super guilds are gone. For now. *ques ominous music for effect*

22. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

*frowns*

23. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I was trying to get a rough estimate of how many ACTIVE players there are now basically. It doesnt seem to appealing :(

24. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Yes but at that time, we had alot more small guilds with 10-50 members.
    Keep in mind, at that time RoT was much more slow and alot guild members was not gm in any skills. Orc may very well had been 100+ active members.

How many guilds can you count from the last 3 years?

The list was long from the first days of Siege. I'm sure I forgot some

The Dark Outlaws (TDO)
    DELUCIA TRADE ASOCIATION (DTA)
    Wicked Clowns (WC)
    Cove bay Pirates (8X)
    Shadowclan Orcs (Orc)
    The Undead (UND)
    The Glowember Merchants (*G*)
    The NEW born of SP (NEW) The first NEW guild started of Luxor
    Citizens of Wispwood Shire (SWC)
    Delucia Trade Association (DTA)
    The Undead Lords (UDL)
    Criminal Element (CE)
    The Choosen Gardians (GC)aka The Caball
    Faithness (-F-)
    Falling Angels (FA)
    Safe Haven (SH)
    Safe Haven Regulators (SHR)
    House of Tak'ir (TAK)
    Indian of Britain (IOB)
    Murderer Inc. (Inc)
    East Britain Rangers (EBR)
    Wicked Clowns (WC)
    Jueves del Diablo (J-D)
    GEt 0ff My Lawn! (420)
    The Pirates of the Codex (POC)
    AA, Angry Alchoholies
    Collector of Blades (AXE)
    The Black Heart Procession (BHP)
    Crime Brothers (CB)
    The Dark Tower (DT)
    Evil-Is-Good (E!G)
    Kill on Sight (KOS)
    Murderer of Destard (MOD)
    Arc-en-ciel (^7^)
    Chaos Quirks (Q:Q)
    The Horsemen of Apacalypse (HoA)
    The Scarlet Daughterhood (S*D)
    Thieves and Alcoholics (T&A)
    Player versus Player (PvP)
    Christ's Crysaders (CC)
    Rogues, Aszaszins, Thieves (RAT)
    True Trammies (TT)
    Nasty People that Care (NPC)
    Temple of Darkness (ToD)
    The Lupin Cartel (TLC)
    The Blackoak Brigands (TBB)
    Bregan D'Aerthe (BDA)
    Law Enforcers of X-Roads (LEX)
    The Blood Clan (BLD)
    Out to Kill (OTK)
    Shadow of Shame (SoS)
    The Britain Militia (B*M)
    Vigilante Justice (VJ)
    The Dark Merchants (TDM)
    The Imperium (-I-)
    Order of the Golden Dawn (OGD)
    Vision of Glory (VoG)
    Knight Guard of Britain (KGB)
    The Ministry (*M*)
    House of Lynn'Dannae (LDH)
    Knights Who Say ... Ni! (Ni!)
    Safe Haven Citizens (SHC)
    Angels of Death (AoD)
    Royal Order of Knights (RoK)
    Temple of Mondain (ToM)
    Legion of Angry Warriors (LAW)

Siege is dying now and something need to be done

25. Nickster

Nickster Guest

its an ebb and flow thing if you ask me, and also remember that the top 10 guilds on siege are not the only guilds going... my guild isnt on there as we only have 5 members at the moment.... also how many people have just started new guilds with just 3-4 or even only 1 person in to take part in the war? I know populations has lulled but there are new people joining siege all the time! Even though i play on GMT i still see plenty people online each time i log in. which is almost every day.

26. Dark Drow

Dark Drow Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Look like we need to do some work get players to come to siege. i been pass around work to get players . so far i pick up 4 and still try to get more.

27. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Nobody bothers to put the war onto the front page of Stratics.. Nobody bothers to submit the war to the UO community feedback. Considering the entire Siege population is based upon siphoning prodo players, we need these events publicized.

The single best method to bring new players is to show we have a vibrant community. The war has not been mentioned once in the two venues I've mentioned.

Get reporters who are semi-active at least.. or forget the reporters, submit this information yourselves.

28. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

There is nothing WE can do to market this game, enhance or better this game which we all obviously are quite fond of. THEY have to do that and care enough about their old dinosaur UO to keep their customer base constant or better yet GROWING.

What WE can do, if WE still play is adjust our own attitudes towards each other in game AND on these forums and continue to find reasons to wish to continue to pay them to play this game.

And WE can keep trying to make our phoenix rise again and again with what we try to DO in this game..host events, attend these events, quit knitpickin on every one else NOT of our own play style or guilds and care enough to build UP not tear down this shard or our fellow players, with whatever simple things we can do, to keep us/all wanting to remain here or remain here a bit longer no matter whom they may be, instead of saying don't let the door hit your arse on your way out to some of em. :(

It isn't only on Siege I can walk all over Chesapeake too and see the same thing, far more emptiness than that once extremely crowded shard has ever had, seeing that emptiness even in...Trammel lands over there.

There is really only so much WE can do...but WE can do more than maybe we do do for if we are in the last days or mos. or year of UO we should try to make it as cool/enjoyable for self others, as we can before maybe they DO pull the plug on it all.

Cuz once UO is gone we won't have it any more to even log in TO. If this is our twilight end times, WE each one and all of us, could do more to improve what time WE may have left here in UO land & on this shard.

The rest is up to THEM whom own this game to do or not do as they wish or think they see fit to do or not do with Ultima Online.

All WE can do is make or try to make the best of what we may still have left remaining, of our lil pixel Siege world in Ultima Online.

*goes off to try to rebuild a player run town on Siege, with a grand total a whopping only...2 people* hehe

29. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

IMHO, UO is doomed and has been since EA got it's hands on it.

I do believe we can have alot of fun until they pull the plug, no idea how long.

I have had small success bringing players over from prodo, I feel that is the best way to get our player base up.

When we actually get a person to stay, they need to bring a few friends with them.
    This is not easy as Siege is not for everyone.

I know one thing, I will be here the day the lights go out!!

30. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It takes a while to understand, but ALL of our players come from prodo. We need regular promotion in the way of events and reporters. We can't keep whining about our diminishing population, or saying UO is dying. All these posts are likely to turn off potential players. We need to celebrate what we have.. turn the deficits into potential benefits for new players (housing, community). Nobody can deny that Siege has about the tightest community on UO.

If I had seen so many "Siege is dying" threads I never would have joined had I been a regular prodo player.

31. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Oh please, I have primarily been a solo player since I joined. It's not tough at all to play Siege solo. Besides that, most of the people migrating to Siege have done so because their friends have quit the game and they don't feel like sticking with the trammy shard they play...la

32. Nickster

Nickster Guest

so true!

33. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

I have volunteered to be a reporter but my "applications" have been turned down...

34. TheScoundrelRico

Kinda tough to report on a game you don't play...la

35. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

heh, I applied and got accepted, but rescinded my application after certain moderators decided to take things personally. Some mods think I stalk them and know about their daughters and their developmental issues (weirded me out).

36. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

You question my skills?!?!

37. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ekQ8kcyog

38. TheScoundrelRico

You should have kept the job just to spite the mod and their actions...la

39. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

QFT...

40. TheScoundrelRico

It's all about the buttons. Knowing when and where to press them. :) ...la

41. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Rico, if you play solo how do you know what people think? If you where in a guild and vent you would understand that people give it a try but then quit.

We have had around 10 new people over the last few months and only 3 stuck. The rest resumed playing with the friends on prodo, so I disagree.

Regarding the UO is dying posts, if the player isn't already aware of this, they dont have the brain power to play uo anyway.

What I am saying is lets ride the wave as long as we can. Hell I think we should start a now or never thread on Uhall.

Come to Siege now, while you still can!

*off to uhall*

42. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I would have.. but the "blue wall" from other moderators made me sick. It would mean supporting such horrible behavior.. some people are defended no matter what their actions just because of their "power and time" dedication. Nothing can be done to unseat these "grandfathered" moderators.

I can only assume Stratics is so lacking in applications that any current staff member gets tremendous leeway just by fact of being a staff member.

My latest ban and it's inevitable defense ruined any possibility of me wanting to support this current power structure.

43. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

44. TheScoundrelRico

If I knew one of the mods wouldn't hit the bannorz button on me, I would share some of the ******** opinions of some of the mods here (stratics as a whole). They can completely not understand something, yet based on the way they read into it, the action becomes punishable, and nothing sent to the admins will change it.

It's kinda sad really...la

45. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

QFTx2...

46. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It is what it is I guess, Its really sad to see it this dead though.

47. TheScoundrelRico

I'll say it again. This forum started to die when they started to actually moderate it...la

48. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

The sad part is.. I may have deserved my previous infractions, I am prone to speaking out against authority I'll admit.. but the latest one was completely undeserved, issued by someone who thought I knew his(or her) daughters personally.. and knew how they had teenage issues. That was the most disgusting thing I have ever heard in my life. For one thing believing I knew his/her daughters personally.. for another thinking I would mention them. The issue in question was a jokedly titled thread about needing a metal chest.

This power trip infraction was defended upon the basis of "ignoring warnings".

Unlike you Rico.. I could care less about another ban. Yes it sucks, but I stand up for my ideals.

And yes I expect and am hoping for another ban.. permanent would suit me just fine, and prove my point.

I have already mentioned to the powers that be, that I have lost all respect for them (even those that I truly liked for their fair judgement), by defending this act.

So many other far-worse insults are allowed.. yet a non-personal joke (not insult) that hits a man (or woman) too close to home deserves an infraction.. and subsequent ban.. I lost all respect, even for my favorite admins/moderators.

49. TheScoundrelRico

ROFL. I have been perma banned twice from Stratics...go figure. But I'd rather not post somewhere then going to the point where I "can't post there. It's why I have no plans to post in the PvP Thief forum anymore. The mods there...well, let's just say, they are what they are...la

50. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

ANYONE can submit community feedback events, so what's holding you back Sweeney?