1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is there some trick to the Stygian Dragon?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ender, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Or is it as simple as having 150 HP at all times?

2. Ailish

Ailish Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Definitely a trick to it.

3. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

And does anyone know this trick?

4. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The trick is have 70 in all resistances and 130+ hit points. Also never attack the Stygian Dragon when you are below 100 hit points.

5. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

More like never attack when you're below 130. I have all 70s across the board, with at 85+ fire and poison, and I still get hit for dual 65s all the time. What the hell.

6. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

That is why you never attack when you are damaged. Attacking him sometimes causes an instant retaliatory attack which does up to 80 damage.

7. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Stone form? But I don't know how that template would work. Does it need imbuing or just mysticism?

120 weapon skill
    120 bushido
    120 mysticism (100 til scrolls aren't ridiculously priced/hard to find)
    100 healing
    100 anatomy
    100 tactics
    60 (80 with just 100 mysticism) chiv

That's only if stone form doesn't need imbuing though.

8. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Just need 4 or 5 mages/archers. Use the teleporters when you need to.

9. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Use the teleporters to your advantage.

10. blueturtle

blueturtle Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

4 necro archers and a discorder for the win

11. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Soloable with an archer...imagine that....

12. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

yea I know, The only time I've gone after it with a group everyone else brought Greater Dragons. I brought an archer with a Horselord. Eventually they stopped rezing pets after watching them get 2 shot killed. I pretty much was using them for a healing crew...Not that I wasn't doing OK on my own...

13. aoLOLita

aoLOLita Sage
    Stratics Veteran

MY Alliance mates and I did on legends with 4 Archers and a Mage - took forever and we died alot, but after a while we figured out to shoot then jump into teleport - heal - pop out again.

We used fast hitting, cold damage bows, and I used a 50 HLD and 30 SSI 49 DI bow w/mixed dam type. Hunters Gude specfically mentioned Dragon Slayer - but NOT Reptile Slayer - which I found strange. Does anyone know if true?

I ggot the Garg dagger arti and better yet, the Stygian dragon head:)

14. 2 Chiv/Bush warriors x-healing took it down.

15. BartofCats

BartofCats Guest

The Dragon slayer over the Reptile slayer because the Dragon slayer currently will do 150% damage vs the reptile slayer at 100% damage. Something changed there to make specific slayers better than super slayers.

16. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The Stygian Dragon's "Chaos Fireball" changes damage type on each cast, so as others have mentioned, you want to try and max every resist. You will see the words of power above its head when it casts the spell, and if you are in a group you can anticipate the spell happening.

What you can't anticipate is it's area-like-earthquake attack. A person in all 70s will never die from a Chaos Fireball alone, but when hit with both the Fireball and the area attack, well, no one is going to survive that because it can do over 160 damage combined.

Best thing to do is use the teleporters, and as soon as you cast a spell or hit Stygian, pop out (and especially if you hear that Fireball sound, haha).

Since there is an Ankh in the peerless area, it's a rather easy fight for an accomplished group, but to solo it must be sort of insane. Unlike other monsters who tire and slow as their HP goes down, the Stygian remains quite fast, and its flight has a pretty cool AI, I must say.

The alternative is to use indirect spells, like summons, although, Stygian can do nearly 300 damage to an EV in one pop, haha. Rising Colossus can armor ignore though, so if you had a group of very good mystics you could try to kill the Stygian that way. It would take forever though.

Whatever you do, aim for cold damage when you attack.