1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Is there some unwritten law about sitting in Luna afk?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Saint of Killers, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Saint of Killers

Stratics Veteran

I generally leave a character sitting at Luna Gate if I'm afk. No, I'm not scripting, macroing, duping. I'm just sitting there, since there's enough traffic there to keep you from timing out. Yesterday when I logged in I was sitting in front of stupid Hanse's Hostel. This has happened in the past, so I didn't panic (this time) and start changing passwords on my accts.

Is there some rule about afk bank sitting that I don't know about, or do the GMs really just have nothing better to do?

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  2. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well.............................. to be technical you are not to go unatended at all. I know... that not what you want to hear.
    We all have done it on occasion of course but the rules are pretty much clear on it. It's nice that they just planted you there and not in jail for 24....

3. Saint of Killers

Stratics Veteran

You're mistaken Storm. They changed that BS years ago which is why you will always see countless people working off counts for hours upon hours in Luna.

All they "supposedly" care about is "unattended" macroing now.

4. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

The rule never changed... but yes they allow the bank sitters in luna to be afk...

5. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

No they don't. Paged on someone a couple days ago, got the canned response they were investigating, and sat there another hour with the character still going at it. Oh, and yes, it was ABSOLUTELY a script, wasn't very difficult to tell. I've seen the same one used in the same place before. I don't like to act like a *%&* and page, but what THEY were doing was interfering with what I wanted to be doing, in a very distracting way. Needless to say the GM either knew this character and let them go, or just didn't investigate at all.

6. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Man, if that was the case they would have to ban half to 3/4's of their player base. :eek:

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  7. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid

Including me :p

I've hung out in Luna in between steal runs and have been known to do countless things afk and only hrs later go, "oh yeah, stealing."

Sevin0oo0 and Kylie Kinslayer like this.
  8. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Am i the only one who doesn't know what "Hanse's Hostel" is?

9. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

It's that inn thing down at where, if you think of the road from Luna to Umbra as an 'L', it's at the outside of the corner.

10. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

If you're not present to defend your character against whatever may be happening, then you get what you deserve IMO. It's a risk of going unattended that someone may kill/lure onto/steal from/report/etc your character (event is dependent on location obviously).

11. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

Still, as they've said on countless occasions, the act of sitting in game AFK was not actionable. It's a question of whether your character is actively doing something or not. And since they supposedly can tell if you're actively doing something or not, there's no reason he should have been moved if truly the only thing that was going on was bank sitting.

Which means either the OP is leaving something out, or EA/Mythic can't really tell if your character is or is not actively doing something. Unfortunately there's no sure way to tell which is the case.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  12. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

the rules are clear.
    you have go be able to answer a GM at any time should he stop in and say hi.
    if you cant or dont, your account is actionable.
    PERIOD!

are they lax for luna (and the old brit bank) players.
    sure.

does this mean your wont catch a 72 hour holiday, i wouldn't bet my account on it. (literally)

and just so ya know, ive seen players of opposite pvp guilds report people at luna bank and ive seen them disappear to the moongate jail while holding hands with the red robed demons, so it does happen.

if you cant say Hi, then your run the risk of a Good Bye!

13. Saint of Killers

Stratics Veteran

Radian, the only thing I did not mention was that I was not visible to people since I came through the moongate and just stayed in it. I still wasn't doing anything, but at least I know it wasn't someone paging on me since I wasn't visible to them.

So obviously it was a gm that doesn't like people sitting at Luna Gate hidden. I prefer it to be that rather than someone paging on afk people, trying to be a Luna hero. If that were the case then I'd have to dedicate a portion of my day returning the favor to every person at Luna multiple times a day.

Regardless, whatever. It's good to see the gms are doing useful things with their free time while they send canned messages to people to go to a website to try and figure out how to fix a problem in game.

14. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I cannot quick recall to Luna bank on any account be it EC or CC and spend to much time chasing bible thumpers off my doorstep or sitting to long on the crapper and not autolog. As far as working off counts they need to add a drain stop if a server is not crossed after some time span.

15. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

i dunno if there is something weird, but i logged out a char in luna the other day, and logged him in the enxt day. when i logged in he was on the east bridge of umbra...

Sevin0oo0 and kRUXCg7 like this.
  16. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

Umm... again, that's not true. No where does it indicate that in the Rules of Conduct, and over the course of the past decade and then some, various members of the development team and community management (when we had those) indicated that as long as your character was not actively engaged in the game, it was not actionable. Not that I would expect GMs today to know anything about that since a majority of them don't actually know anything about UO. It's still a crap shoot as to whether or not you get one who understands the game or not.
    While I know this will turn into a huge debate onto what that means, the term "active" has, for years now, meant doing something other than standing around. Hence the clarification that if your character is "performing a skill, text or action" -- thus indicating that the GMs can, indeed, see what you are doing -- then you must be able to respond.

If you walk away from your system to go to the bathroom, and your character isn't doing anything other than standing idle, that is not an "active character" standing around "unattended."

And yes, I foresee the counter argument that "active" means "in game" or "logged in," and again, I point out that if that were the case, the rule would not then go on to clarify what it meant by active.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  17. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

I'm inclined to think that if a GM had moved you, you would have been in jail, not the inn.
    It has been said that AFK is not actioned if you are not engaged in any activity. Good job really, I often end up standing inert in the middle of nowhere while I deal with something that has come up on here. :D
    I can only think that some kind of glitch has the effect of bouncing an inactive char from Luna to that location somehow under a particular set of circumstances, since you said it has happened before.
    Looking at the map, the hostel is more or less in a direct line south from Luna

18. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

What will happen if the spot you was sitting at was blocked of a box or something when you tryed to login again? Will the game then try to move you to a different place?
    If the spot in your house is blocked, it will log you in on a different floor.

19. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

depends on what's blocking you, they "fixed" a lot of things that did that by making them non-blocking but anything that would cause you to be stuck inside of tries to push you to a last known location...with sometimes hilarious results (my personal favorite being logging in again after server up when i had been fishing before server down and getting kicked to the middle of the starry void in malas)

20. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Sometimes if somethings blocking you it will teleport you elsewhere. Hidden person, box, sometimes some of those reward items like luck statues all can potentially keep you from logging into your spot.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  21. Dan123The123Man

Dan123The123Man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

IMO, if they want players to not be unattended then why not automatically disconnect them when/if they go afk? I have sat in town many times all night and never get disconnected, until the server goes down... Been playing off and on since 2000 and never had an issue bank sitting afk... I've never heard of anyone being busted for afking either... I'm pretty sure this is a big "gray area" because lets be real, banning someone for taking a crap and being afk for a few minutes... I mean it makes sense to do it to macroers but someone that pays to play the game and enjoys the game more when opening paperdolls and looking pretty in luna shouldn't get in trouble. Not to say they can't but i'd say its highly unlikely... I've never seen it happen... Hell, even today... I can't count how many times i've paged on scripters... If they don't ban SCRIPTERS what makes ya think they will ban a helpless person taking a crap irl that is afk and not MACROING or doing any "OTHER" illegal activity? lol, sorry just hard to consider simply afking to be illegal... Sounds pretty bogus to me.

22. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Errrrrr if cheating and scritping is to be ''tollerated'' and excepted as normal and goes un punished every day on every shard...as the devs have told us to just live it as they cant be arsed to do anything about it anymore.....a little afk at Luna bank is pretty much fine and dandy!!!!

23. Salivern_Diago

Salivern_Diago Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I doubt any dev from any game would ever say that, if that was the case the game would nose dive within weeks as those who wont cheat will leave and those who do will get bored because everyone else is doing it.