1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

is This considered Harassment and why?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Alvinho, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Alvinho

Alvinho Great Lakes Forever!
    Stratics Veteran

in the Dreadhorn area is the only place that Cu sidhe spawn, Someone enters the area to tame a regular dog, but there is someone else there who is there just to attack and attempt to kill any animal someone tries to tame there, makeing it inpossiable for anyone to tame any dogs, since there is nowhere else that they spawn is it considered harassment to not alow anyone to tame the cu sidhes.

Remember this person does not attack anything until they see the message *you begin to tame this creature* once the creature is dead then they say "I froze the creature for you tame it now" Is this considered Harassment?

2. legs

legs Guest

i would consider it harassment.... absolutely... but then, i am not a gm.....

good luck. what shard is this happening on?

3. Babble

Babble Guest

Not really, anyone can attack anything.
    Try to get more things to fight there, so he/she leaves?

4. It is not harassment. They're freely attackable while untamed by anyone, thus anyone is permitted to attack them. Just because someone's trying to tame them, this doesn't mean the other person should compromise their gameplay and allow them to do so. The person trying to tame them should come back at another time if the other person is being uncooperative.

5. Babble

Babble Guest

Or you try to get he person killed :p

Does not mean evil luring. Fleeing from monsters then peacing before you run is totally legal if you do it from time to time.
    [​IMG]

6. Alvinho

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Just because someone's trying to tame them, this doesn't mean the other person should compromise their gameplay and allow them to do so. The person trying to tame them should come back at another time if the other person is being uncooperative.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are missing the part where the attacker is not attacking until there is a successful tameing attempt, thus casueing teh tameing attempt to stop becasue the animal is being attacked

7. Naturally, you may "get into difficulties" and have to run and invis yourself at just the wrong moment, I guess. That would be unfortunate now, wouldn't it?

[​IMG]

@Alvinho:

<blockquote><hr>

But you are missing the part where the attacker is not attacking until there is a successful tameing attempt, thus casueing teh tameing attempt to stop becasue the animal is being attacked

[/ QUOTE ]
    I didn't miss that part at all. There is no rule saying you can't attack a creature being tamed. It's not good etiquette, of course, but it's not illegal by any means. The GMs will do nothing.

8. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Allow them to keep doing it. They will hit negative karma soon enough. Then you will not have a problem with them after that. Folks usually head for the exit after that.

9. If you recall, they can't follow you now, can they? [​IMG]

Fact is, people doing this kind of thing are looking to get a rise out of people. If you just recall away and return 20-30 minutes later, then they'll likely have moved on or got bored and pissed off.

Even if you did page on them, a GM would have to witness clear intentions of them going out of their way to harass you during your gameplay. As it takes GMs hours to respond sometimes, good luck with that. The best course of action would be to leave the area and return a little later.

10. whiterock

whiterock Guest

It's interfering with another players game play so yes its harassment. I think there are steps. I forget them, you probably can look them up somewhere. It's like first u gotta ask them to stop and move away a few screens. The taming area is pretty small so try going from one end then to the other. If he doesn't stop then page and say what he's doing and you ask him to stop and you moved away a few screens but he followed.

11. Alvinho

Stratics Veteran

you cannot recall out of dreadhorn, as far as recalling once you get outside, where does one tame Cu sidhes other than dreadhorn?

12. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

compromise their gameplay ......
    ---------------------------------
    that's a crock, if the other guy waits, does nothing until you start to tame, then he/she's being a nimrod, lacking common courtesy, and deserves a slap.

you can try a gm, but, the waits not worth it, unless you have time.

13. You tame one 30 minutes later when the kid has left. [​IMG]

Trust me, it's quicker than paging a GM even if they do deem it as valid harassment... which I doubt they would do unless they followed you outside of Twisted Weald and started literally tracking you down and following you everywhere.

14. Time Keeper

Time Keeper Guest

i would consider it harassment unfortunately it is legal which is a shame people that do this to total strangers for no good reason are low lifes if you ask me. i do not know if they do it to keep the rare color cus more rare so they can sell them for a fortune or if they are simply being idiots just to start trouble i assume a bit of both i just wish the gms would do something to stop this childish inconsiderate behavior..

15. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

No, that is not harassment - it's just the player being a jerk.

If, however, you ask them to stop, go to a different area (screens away), and they continue killing whatever you attempt to tame - that is harassment.
    You need to ask them to stop and attempt to remove yourself from the situation before it becomes harassment.

16. joblackjon

joblackjon Guest

No way is this harassment. No one can claim control of any spawn for any purpose (killing, training or taming). All spawn is always available to everyone.

Is the little punk an attention-deprived moron? Absolutely!

Wait til after 8:00pm when his mommy tucks him in bed.

Don't ever react to these kids...that's what they are fishing for. Walk away or wait for their karma to get low enough that they are attacked by everything in sight (as mentioned by a previous poster).

17. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Next time it happens do this. And this goes for anyone that has someone harrassing them...

1. "Excuse me "player name". Please stop harrassing me. Thank you.
    2. "Excuse me "player name". I asked you once already to stop harrassing me.
    3. "Excuse me "player name". I'm trying to get away from you but you continue to follow and harrass me. Please stop or I"m going to page a Game Master.
    4. Place a physical harrassment call. Your journal will get sent with it, and 9 times out 10, it might take a week, but they'll get banned.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Gildar is right.... If you ask them to please stop... then go off a few screens and try to tame another and they "purposely" follow you just to do the same thing again..... that IS harrassment... Purposely following a person in an effort to "ruin" someone elses gameplay and "targetting" them in such a way IS harrassment... Others may try to make you think it is not... but if you read the ToS you will see that it specificly mentions this as a form of harrassment...

<blockquote><hr>

What IS considered harassment?

Harassment consists of flagrant misuse and abuse of game mechanics with the intention of distressing and offending other players. So what's a game mechanic? Game mechanics allow players to interact with the world and each other. For example, the ability to block a doorway is a game mechanic. The ability to create macros with large amounts of text is a game mechanic. Use of game mechanics like these is by no means considered harassment in and of itself. The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent". What was the person trying to achieve through their actions? Were they purposefully trying to disrupt someone else's game? While an action may cause others distress, it is not considered harassment until it is determined by OSI/EA that it was done to intentionally cause distress or to offend other players.

Also considered as harassment is any behavior that is incessant, inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. This includes the act of intentionally targeting and disrupting player events, which is never considered acceptable. An important point to note regarding this type of harassment is that a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation must have been made. This could be an attempt to leave the area or the offending player, or simply the act of asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the harassing behavior, it can be considered harassment, and the harassment tool should be used at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

19. In this case, they're at the same spawn. Whether you like it or not, a spawn isn't yours for any purpose. It's like attacking the same monster that someone else is attacking and refusing to take turns: it isn't harassment. Once again, the spawn isn't yours.

Moving out of the area would refer to moving away from that spawn and going elsewhere. Moving mere screens away isn't sufficient; you're still at the same spawn, trying to access the same creature.

The only time this becomes harassment is if you leave the spawn, go to another spawn elsewhere and that player tracks you down and follows you persistently. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but its fair game.

20. Lug

Lug Lore Master

That would really Irk me. Ironically, in this situation Irk can be a solution.

21. once upon a time on catskills when firesteeds first came out and there were only a few of us able to tame them, there was a punk who would wait until we spawned one/found one in fire and then kill it just to spite the tamers there.

he killed 3 of them from under me before i finally got mine.

griefing like this is as old as time

22. I wouldn't consider it harassment. Like a poster above the player is being a jerk. Is the player part of a guild? You can try to talk to their guild master. The issues seem to get resolved if its a decent guild.

On a side note, a universal chat for guild leaders seems to be quite helpful when dealing with jerky players. I played Anarchy Online for a while trying to get off of UO... They had a great Society system where guild leaders and higher ranking members of the guild could chat with other guild leaders about players. Because of this the online Society was able to mark players and guilds as either bad, fair, good, or great.

23. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

"I froze the creature for you tame it now"

[/ QUOTE ]It seems like harassment to me, but I still find that line hilarious.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

I was initially thinkin bad idea, but perhaps... it wouldn't be too bad IF it only involved, say pets that require 0 taming to tame.

~Rai

25. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Just because someone's trying to tame them, this doesn't mean the other person should compromise their gameplay and allow them to do so. The person trying to tame them should come back at another time if the other person is being uncooperative.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Do Cu's spawn in Felucca? If so,problem solved.If not,I guess you'll just have to wait until the "griefer" gets bored and leaves. Because you are a tamer and want to tame something does not mean everyone must step aside and let you play.This isn't Ultima Tamers Online...yet.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

If we had competent GMs then you could probably get this guy to stop. [​IMG]

27. Samaira

Samaira Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Does dryad's calming affect all casting (ie chiv)? Surrounding yourself with para dryads could be fun... *grins*

Unfortunately, as others have said, this guy's just a chump. Griefing only becomes harassment after you've taken the steps mentioned above, and he still persists in his behaviour. A better course of action is to wait until his karma's low and lure as many pixies into the desert as possible [​IMG]

28. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

If we had competent GMs then you could probably get this guy to stop. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] GM's are not allowed to show favortism toward a specific template. Because Cu's are tamable does not mean tamers have the exclusive first shot at the beast.

29. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

A better course of action is to wait until his karma's low and lure as many pixies into the desert as possible [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]Thats a bannable offense

30. Guest

Guest Guest

Now, I didn't read the rules that carefully, but I know that we're not supposed to use third party programs and stuff and all that... So how is this not considered harassment? Harassment to me sounds like disrupting another player's playstyle and experience, and that's what this deal sounds like to me. If the guy was killing cus before the tamer even came near, then I could understand nothing being done. But attacking after the *begins taming a creature* message appears, sounds pretty disruptive to me. [​IMG]

31. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Now, I didn't read the rules that carefully, but I know that we're not supposed to use third party programs and stuff and all that... So how is this not considered harassment? Harassment to me sounds like disrupting another player's playstyle and experience, and that's what this deal sounds like to me. If the guy was killing cus before the tamer even came near, then I could understand nothing being done. But attacking after the *begins taming a creature* message appears, sounds pretty disruptive to me. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]Again,its a free-for-all until the beasts health bar turns blue. It may be harrassment to you,but thats your opinion.Its not harrassment solely because someone is killing what you are trying to tame. You,or anyone else,can camp the Cu spawn any time.

32. Guest

Guest Guest

I just had a simular problem only an hour ago i went to kill cu's and there was three people there taming them and turning them on a paragon. One spawned in front of me and i had my dragon attack it and they ran up yelling stop area peaced and invised my dragon and everything possible and lured th cu away an tamed it to have it killed by the paragon. I paged a gm and after talking to them they left but by then there was no more reg dogs only paras. i got a message to a website that explaned the rules and a list saying spawn stealing was not listed as herrasment. I never bothered them when i came in and went to find my own dog to kill just to have that done. they need to change it in trammel so area peace does not affect anothers pet and unable to invis anothers pet unless in party or same guild.

33. [​IMG] then read the rules THOROUGHLY ... comes down to a question of "who owns that spawn"
    oh! here: Harassment &amp; Role of GM

might .. depending on the GM .. might get something done via GM ... better to just out wait the little booger ...

yw

34. Korso

Korso Guest

ROFL.... This is what this game has come down to?

Oh lordy. Good luck to you all [​IMG]

35. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

ROFL.... This is what this game has come down to?

Oh lordy. Good luck to you all [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]You see,with the new superdragon that they can have,the tamers here are starting to feel "entitled" to some things they feel that are owed to them simply because they use that template.

36. Stigmatas

Stigmatas Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

rtlfc

This is not harassment. This is griefing. There is a subtle difference. You don't own the spawn, so he can do what he wants with it. As someone else said Alvinho...just go do something else and get your cu some other time.

<blockquote><hr>

You see,with the new superdragon that they can have,the tamers here are starting to feel "entitled" to some things they feel that are owed to them simply because they use that template.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, this is nothing new. Tamers have always felt that they were entitled to more than others. Not all of them, but there are some high and mighty people out there that think they are the bee's knee's because they tamed bulls for a month. It's evident on these boards, and it's been evident in UO for TEN years.

I've got 2 different tamer templates and I never felt I should be entitled to more than anyone else. In fact, I feel a bit dirty playing my tamers sometimes because of how freaking easy UO is to play with them compared to just about any other combat template. Tamers have always been catered to and I guess always will be. Tis' why I made two of my own [​IMG]

I was just commenting on your post, not reflecting on Alvinho. I hope that is clear. Gotta keep things crystal here in the hall [​IMG]

Alvinho, it would be wise just to give it up and go do something else. Griefers feed on your rage and as soon as you stop supplying them with it, they ususally move on to something/somebody else.

37. Guest

Guest Guest

Firstly, assume he may be a bit thick [​IMG]

Explain to him that by attacking the pet he disrupts the tame. Also explain that you are trying to tame and would appreciate if he didn't attack the cu you were using. There are 4 spawning there, so if he wants to fight one, he does have the choice of 3.

If he continues to attack cu's you're trying to tame, say very clearly "please stop" and if you haven't already, take a cu right away to the entrance bit and try taming there.

If he follows and attacks the cu again, page a GM. While you don't have to be there taming, that is the only cu sidhe spawn, and said player is just being a jerk in blocking your tame attempts.

Your other option is to call in some tamers and see how he copes with 4 cus all being tamed at once. But I'd go for the GM. Not because I'm some wussy trammy who wants everything the tamer's way, but because there's a good chance he's annoying plenty of other tamers too. It's the GM's call in the end.

Wenchy

38. Fluffi

Fluffi Slightly Crazed

No harassment here:

One sad idiot.

One tamer who thinks they own the spawn.

But no harassment.

39. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Next time it happens do this. And this goes for anyone that has someone harrassing them...

1. "Excuse me "player name". Please stop harrassing me. Thank you.
    2. "Excuse me "player name". I asked you once already to stop harrassing me.
    3. "Excuse me "player name". I'm trying to get away from you but you continue to follow and harrass me. Please stop or I"m going to page a Game Master.
    4. Place a physical harrassment call. Your journal will get sent with it, and 9 times out 10, it might take a week, but they'll get banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

What GarthGrey says or you could see if they can speak to changelings...ask them if they wouldn't mind stopping so you can tame...if they continue you can assume they do not speak English and there for may speak changeling so introduce them to a few......its not luring its trying to make communication they will understand *grins*

its a sad fact some players are just jerks.

40. <blockquote><hr>

One tamer who thinks they own the spawn.

But no harassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.

*Gotta love the way people are against harassment but for luring.*

41. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Luring monsters onto other players in the Trammel ruleset is harassment.

42. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It can also be a reason to get a 3 day ban yourself.

43. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Pick up a weapon and kill thee opponent. While he is dead attempt to tame pet. When he res's and comes back for his stuff, rinse repeat until u have tamed pet.

44. Guest

Guest Guest

Reread the first post. Not in Fel, and he's not playing on Siege.